This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

MNWC

Is my battery knackered ????
« on: November 05, 2009, 04:18:18 pm »
heres  the thing.

Went out as usual this morning working happily away when i noticed my flow wasnt quite enough so went back to the van to turn up the varistream

Shock / Horror the dreaded green light was flashing 10 to the dozen meaning the battery needed charging

Shock / Horror 2  id only charged it a couple of days ago and the window on the battery was indicating that all was good....

So can i set my back pack up to feed the 100m mini bore or shall i just take the battery out of the backpack and use that temporarily ......

Marcus

Lee Pryor

Re: Is my battery knackered ????
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 05:08:21 pm »
you only charge your batery every few days? remember that they dont hold there charge as well in colder weather. maybe charge every night.
The best way to predict the future is to create it.

MNWC

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 06:09:16 pm »
yeah i only charge it when it dies ......... prob every weekend........is that wrong then,should i top it up everynight ??????

Its 85 amps leisure battery had it for about a year.....

Lee Pryor

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 06:23:59 pm »
we charge ours every night, no problems yet
The best way to predict the future is to create it.

Ian Lancaster

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2009, 06:50:58 pm »
You should never allow your battery to discharge so far.  Although they're called 'deep cycle', they're no different from an engine starting battery - charge every day ;D

Neil

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2009, 07:09:51 pm »
fit a split charge relay. £25 quid from ebay, and never worry about charging again.

I have them on both my vans, best £50 i have spent in years, and the battery's last twice as long so they pay for themselves

NWH

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2009, 07:24:39 pm »
There`s split chargers and there`s split chargers from what i`ve heard,the same goes for alternators with most vans if you use hot water especially you should upgrade them.

Robin Ray

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2009, 07:38:34 pm »
You should never allow your battery to discharge so far.  Although they're called 'deep cycle', they're no different from an engine starting battery - charge every day ;D

Deep cycle batteries and car batteries are different. Deep cycle batteries have thicker plates to cope better with a greater discharge and charge cycle. Therefore they are better suited to WFP use. Car batteries have thiner plates as they only need to turn the engine over for a short period, the rest of the time they are on charge. Both batteries should never be discharged past about 75% of their capacity.

Rob

MNWC

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2009, 08:02:22 pm »
Looks like new battery then..............ball cocks !!! ;D

thanks for all the replys..

Ian Lancaster

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2009, 08:29:18 pm »
Looks like new battery then..............ball cocks !!! ;D

thanks for all the replys..

If it took a 'couple of days' for it to go flat, why do you need a new one?  I'm using one which is at least 4 years old - when it was new it lasted four days, now it lasts a day, but if I charge it every night ir's still good for a days work (pumps about 350lt before it gives out)

MNWC

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2009, 08:47:21 pm »
just got the back pack battery out  :o :o :o

Its about the the size of 4 fAg packets piled ontop of one and other  ;D ;D

ian your right ill wait a bit

how long do you charge yours up for ?? is it overnight ??

Marcus..

dai

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2009, 09:31:18 pm »
Is it sealed? If not check your water level is just covering the plates.
Leisure batteries should be charged when they are 50% discharged. If you have a meter the best time for charging the battery is when it gives a reading of 12.05 volts.
Leaving a battery to fully discharge is a sure way of damaging it. I charge my 85 amp hour battery every other night, and they last for ages.
A discharged battery lets sulphide build up on the plates, and this is what knackers them, Halfords do small tablets called Bat aids, these can help break down the sulphide build up, and allow your battery  to charge again, obviously these are useless for sealed batteries.

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2009, 03:52:52 am »
fit a split charge relay. £25 quid from ebay, and never worry about charging again.

I have them on both my vans, best £50 i have spent in years, and the battery's last twice as long so they pay for themselves

They seem to work better with newer batteries I've found.  I've started removing mine once or twice a week to top up the charge and hopefully make the battery last longer.  Maybe you do more mileage than me as well.  If it weren't for the relay though, I would probably take it out every night to charge so it's a big help as the battery needs to be carried up steps to my flat.