Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

dazmond

poor motivation!lazyitis!
« on: November 05, 2009, 10:30:01 am »
i just cant get motivated this week!the weather in the north west cold and heavy showers.girlfriend ill with cancer,been hospital with her this week. :(had a good few weeks and got straight with work then behind again.might just write this week off and start fresh on monday a full week behind.i usually get afew half days in during bad weather.got ready for work again this morning but heavens opened again. ???its still bad now at 1015.my bills are paid and money in the bank etc so cant be too downhearted.DOWNTIME part of the job.i should just enjoy the time off and be there for my girlfriend.rant over!count my blessings!still can help thinking i should be working though.does anybody else feel like this at times?prob a bit of the winter blues!!

best wishes to everyone

dazmond
price higher/work harder!

TonyD

Re: poor motivation!lazyitis!
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 11:11:15 am »
I think a lot more than openly admit it struggle with motivation, even when it's dry and the work is there waiting, sometimes you just won't get to it.
Being self employed, people say to you "you're lucky, you can just have a day off" but we all know it doesn't work like that, as time off means no wage for a sole trader in our game, even when the bills are paid taking a break still makes you feel guilty sat at home if you could be out earning money, like you're cheating yourself. 
I'd say just take a break if the bills are paid.  Sorry to hear about your girlfriends illness, best wishes to her.

dazmond

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 11:24:11 am »
thanks tonyD.i dont generally suffer from poor motivation normally as i like working and having a routine and being out in the fresh air.since i quit the booze and fAgs a few years ago ive improved my work ethic but i think its more to do with not sleeping properly.worrying about girlfriend etc at the mo.i dont no how stans going on having 6 weeks off! :o :oi suppose youve just got to accept whatever life throws at u inclu a hernia!hope ur on the mend stan!

best wishes dazmond

Murdie window cleaning

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 12:31:05 pm »
Hi Dazmond

if the bills are paid and money in the bank then take a couple of days to spend a bit time with your girlfriend, she is your priority. Once you've had a couple of days of and your more relaxed get back at it. Any custie who moans if your a couple of days late then sod them, there the least of your worrys.

All the best, we all go through spells when we can't be bothered no matter what line of work we are in.

Tosh

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2009, 12:58:06 pm »
Dazmond, I'm also tee-total and I've found since not drinking that my work ethic has greatly improved (no surpises there if you knew how I drank).

But I find that regular meditation helps me quiet the committee that goes on inside my head, and my motivation is good these days.  And before anyone starts, I'm having lunch at home!  ;D

Honestly; meditation; don't knock it till you've tried it.  There's loads of classes running all over the place that shows you how to do it.

TonyD

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2009, 01:14:20 pm »
Dazmond, I'm also tee-total and I've found since not drinking that my work ethic has greatly improved (no surpises there if you knew how I drank).

But I find that regular meditation helps me quiet the committee that goes on inside my head, and my motivation is good these days.  And before anyone starts, I'm having lunch at home!  ;D

Honestly; meditation; don't knock it till you've tried it.  There's loads of classes running all over the place that shows you how to do it.

I'd defo second that, clears the mind.  And there's a lot of ways to meditate, not just the sitting and humming kind people think of.  Anything that concentrates your mind on one sole thing and removes everything else.  Fishing is meditation, staring at the float, and people don't realise it !    I go out metal detecting, same thing, concentrating on something and forgetting everything else.  Really refreshing for you mood and mental well being.  Really. ;D

martinsadie

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2009, 01:37:05 pm »
thanks tonyD.i dont generally suffer from poor motivation normally as i like working and having a routine and being out in the fresh air.since i quit the booze and f*gs a few years ago ive improved my work ethic but i think its more to do with not sleeping properly.worrying about girlfriend etc at the mo.i dont no how stans going on having 6 weeks off! :o :oi suppose youve just got to accept whatever life throws at u inclu a hernia!hope ur on the mend stan!

best wishes dazmond
sorry for you guys but weather is a bonus for me knowing i wouldnt get much done,next week off then going back no matter what,if i only do half days i will be better off than on the sick,i can see myself having a problem with motivation at first because i have got into a routine of not getting up till eight and being off work,the bonus is all my work is overdue so i can clean whatever i fancy,plan is 2 easy days on my bungalows,then on the ladders but not the higher stuff to start with

Dazmond all the best with your girlfriend,i know what its like,my mum is fully recovered from bowel cancer after 2 years of being poorly and operations and my dad  died earlier this year after a long battle with lung cancer

dazmond

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2009, 01:43:07 pm »
thanks a lot guys.ive just been for a swim.i feel miles better!meditation is something i do everyday for 5 or 10 mins.when i say 12 step program i think u know what i mean tosh! ;).gona take the rest of the week off and start again on monday.weather really bad here now so dont feel too bad!if i spend too long in this flat  my mind ends up like a bad neighbourhood!u wouldnt want to go there alone!

regards

dazmond

matt

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2009, 01:46:24 pm »
first off good luck to your girlfriend, thats the important issue here

ref the motivation

i seriously lack it, it comes from my enjoyment of family life, my 2 year old daughter is still at home and its hard to tear myself away from interaction time with her, then when the schools are on holiday my 6yr old daughter is home and its really hard to get out the house to work

i go through spells, i work hard and get the job done when i am out, but the rain doesnt help, i give it to 10,30 - 11,00 and i bin the day ( i do not get in and out of the van all day )

i find when i am really up against it and cannot be bothered, i need something to aim for, then its holiday booking time  ;D

matt

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2009, 01:49:59 pm »
oh and if i take time off and laze around and its nice, i do feel a touch guilty

dazmond

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2009, 02:04:28 pm »
thanks matt.ive got no kids myself but my brother does and he working 12 hour days and comes out with a good wage but at what expense?sounds like uv got the right balance.work hard when u can and slack off a bit when the kids are off!i like being an uncle though.hopefully we,ll all go on hols together in the future.my girlfriend cant have kids,poor woman.she makes up for it by doting on her friends kids.

best wishes to u all

dazmond

landy2

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2009, 03:03:00 pm »
yes weather crap in the north west just can not get myself motivated but i think its because i go away on tuesday 2 weeks in lanzarote  realy looking forward to it

Pole 2 Pole

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2009, 03:25:25 pm »
Thinking of you too Dazmond. It must be bloody hell trying to work, worry and everything else that comes with having a sick partner, but try and keep strong mate............and all being well, it will all come good in the end. But(as was once said to me by a counsellor) even the caretaker needs a lil care sometimes. I think ya know what i mean. Don't deny yourself a little "Daz" time if you can grab it. Keep smilin  ;) Dino

pingu

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2009, 04:41:41 pm »
I have also just had a period of low motivation...give yourself a little time with the g/f buy her something she'll like...watch her face light up :)...then that is your motivation....get out and get a few customers more and considering them your special money...which you'll do something you like with.

Set a few short and medium goals be it more customers in a certain area or perhaps a set number of days of every x period and work the rest.

And when you need/want to...spend a little extra special time with the g/f.

I reckon loads of us feel guilty when we have got home an look out the window and think....it's not that bad I could be working...

Cheers
Dave

Neil

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2009, 05:34:48 pm »
I think everyone has times where it feels like a real chore to go out to work. (and other areas of life) i have been there on many occasions.

I found this site a few months back http://zenhabits.net/
it has some good ideas on all kinds of subjects, motivation being one of them.  click on "start here".

A & J Owen Window Cleaning

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2009, 06:12:32 pm »
hi mate youv ad a bad week man hope your girlfriend will be better soon sometimes you av to take a break and relax you cant work all your life so start a fresh monday and take it easy

dai

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2009, 09:57:01 pm »
So very sorry to here about your girlfriend mate, having lost my first wife to breast cancer I can understand just how difficult it is to be motivated. Cancer doesn't just affect the ones that are unfortunate enough to have it.
I wish so much she makes a full recovery, give her as much of your time as you can,some things are just more important than work.

Window Washers

Re: poor motivation!lazyitis! New
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2009, 10:18:45 pm »
I would write the week off and go visit your girlfriend and make her smile, which in turn will make you smile. Hope all goes well for your girl and you (people tend to forget the patner trying to be strong, is not an easy roll to play)
It is hard to get motivated when you have this worry on your mind so don't beat yourself up.

Your missus needs you to be strong for her, all bills paid, you know the answer really dude.

Don't feel guilty for not working, work can wait a little, do something to make you and your missus happy tomorrow, this in turn will make you feel better and the motivation will come back 10 fold.

Ian
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

Sean Dyer

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2009, 11:08:44 pm »
not having a go mate, but i have worked all work in manchester, from dawn till dusk and only soaked once ... i think it looks worse from inside sometimes, but tommorows friday so have a day off :)

And MATT i know what you mean, last two days i have gone out beforre my daughter has got up and got home before bed so today i left a bit later and was there for an hour when she got up

its hard not spending more time with her but im going away to wales for a week tommorow so ive got all time in world and will be with her 100 % :)

theres moer to life than work , but a good work ethic is good too :)

martinsadie

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2009, 08:13:29 am »
not having a go mate, but i have worked all work in manchester, from dawn till dusk and only soaked once ... i think it looks worse from inside sometimes, but tommorows friday so have a day off :)

not being harsh Sean but im a hour from Manchester and you wouldnt have worked a full day here all week,and would have got soaked several times  ;D