Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Lee Pryor

charging more on first clean.
« on: November 04, 2009, 10:50:40 pm »
this is something we have never done, but i know alot do and im thinking of adding it in next year.

I would like to know how others do this? how much extra do you charge? and do customers ever object or question the reasons why?

The best way to predict the future is to create it.

john tomkins

Re: charging more on first clean.
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 10:55:15 pm »
I must say I only charge extra if the windows, well the frames/cills to be precise are in a bad way, might add half again on to the price and have yet to be turned down.

cozy

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 11:16:33 pm »
I look at the job first, if it looks grim, I stick 20% on for first cleans, doesn't happen very often though. On domestic, it's not more than a 10 minute longer job, so it doesn't really matter as all our work is reasonably compact. Not had a complaint about this in years.

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 05:34:36 am »
this is something we have never done, but i know alot do and im thinking of adding it in next year.

I would like to know how others do this? how much extra do you charge? and do customers ever object or question the reasons why?

Depends really Lee.  If it's a job I really want and I sense that charging more on a first clean might put them off, then I don't do it.
If I do do it, I charge an extra 50% and go round it twice - The first time I scrub all the glass and framework (including tops)..  The second time, I just brush and rinse the glass as the dirt from the top of frame has usually had time to finish trickling down by then.  If doing it this way, a bit of time can be saved by doing the first pass on each side of the house on both (all?) levels - i.e. it doesn't matter whether water is still running onto the window below.  Obviously the second pass needs to be done in a sequence that ensures water from top has stopped - or slowed enough to work on window below it.  It just saves on hose moving.
I do make it clear to the customer that there are sometimes "imperfections" on the first clean and going around it twice helps to keep them to a minimum.  They usually feel more OK about paying it then as I explain to them about the trickling from frame tops.  If money is a bit tight for them, I just tell them that there is a possibility of the first clean being imperfect that that will get better over the first couple of cleans - but I only go around once.
The way I present it is that it generally takes me a lot longer to do the first clean but I'm "only" charging 50% more.  I call this "sharing the extra cost of the first clean with the customer" or similar to that.  That way, it can feel like I'm actually giving them something.  In fact, on very dirty first cleans, I sometimes AM giving them something as it can take ages - as you know.
Sometimes I choose to go around twice and effectively work for less on the first clean - but only if I get a strong feeling that the customer will be a good regular.

Steve CM

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2009, 07:59:24 am »
We always charge 50% more. We get the odd one that refuses but 95% go for it

Smudger

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2009, 08:05:30 am »
Just changed my policy on this -    i never charged extra for 1st clean, but now expanding at a good rate i have found a certain percentage of custy's take you on - get the 1st clean done then when you come back say - sorry they still look clean i'll ring you sometime - or can i have them done once every 3 months

some people just dont value the extra effort

now it's  + 50% for first -   with a 'discounted' 4 weekly rate thereafter - seems to work well

Darran
Never argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience

Sapphire Window Cleaning

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2009, 08:22:35 am »
I charge 50% more on all first cleans, this way if they decide to just have a one off its not so much of a pain in the rear.

Matt
Reaching parts traditional window cleaners can not reach.

Murdie window cleaning

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2009, 08:26:06 am »
Can I ask, all you guys that charge extra did you do this from day 1 or did you intraduce this policy once established ?

Sapphire Window Cleaning

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2009, 08:29:24 am »
I started it from day one down here.

Matt

Steve CM

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2009, 08:34:48 am »
i've only been doing it for about 9 months. wish i'd done it sooner

Sapphire Window Cleaning

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2009, 08:40:48 am »

I find it stops the time wasters and the moaning customers before you even start to clean the windows.

Matt

Steve CM

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2009, 08:49:21 am »

I find it stops the time wasters and the moaning customers before you even start to clean the windows.

Matt

i also hook them into a 3 month agreement that cuts even more of it out

dazmond

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2009, 09:40:33 am »
depends on the job in hand!if there are really filthy then i charge 50% more.if there not too bad and near my other work then same price as normal clean.most custys understand if there really bad they will have to pay more!if not and they start to moan before ive even started they can clean them themselves unless its a big house at a good price then i will relent and do a good job first time and a quick going over thereafter.if i was short of work and was building my round by canvassing then i wouldnt charge more for a first clean.

best wishes dazmond
price higher/work harder!

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2009, 10:02:46 am »
Just changed my policy on this -    i never charged extra for 1st clean, but now expanding at a good rate i have found a certain percentage of custy's take you on - get the 1st clean done then when you come back say - sorry they still look clean i'll ring you sometime - or can i have them done once every 3 months

some people just dont value the extra effort

now it's  + 50% for first -   with a 'discounted' 4 weekly rate thereafter - seems to work well

Darran

Exactly.  That's why I usually charge more.  I have been dropped after a dirty first clean as well which is why I started asking more.  I do follow my gurt feeling on this.  It's not often I get it wrong about who will be a regular and who won't.  When I do get it wrong, I just have to swallow it and move on.

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2009, 10:05:02 am »
Can I ask, all you guys that charge extra did you do this from day 1 or did you intraduce this policy once established ?

Not at first.  I had to convert over a load of trad work.  Couldn't really ask long standing custies to accept that WFP was fine AND charge 50% more on the first WFP clean.
I don't charge extra across the board as stated in another post.

Mr Bungalow

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2009, 05:36:11 pm »
Hello Lee,

You should always charge twice your actual quoted price to customer on a 1st Clean as it takes longer to clean usually due to dirty frames.

In fact sometimes I manage to get new customers at 3 times quoted price especially if they haven't been cleaned in a while and are really filthy.

But never under price yourself, ok.

Hope this helped.

Kind regards. :)

GWCS

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2009, 05:50:42 pm »
Hello Lee,

You should always charge twice your actual quoted price to customer on a 1st Clean as it takes longer to clean usually due to dirty frames.

In fact sometimes I manage to get new customers at 3 times quoted price especially if they haven't been cleaned in a while and are really filthy.

Hope this helped.

I go with this..

however if customers are not liking the double price - I offer them a 4 clean contact whereby they sign up to 4 monthly cleans. If they break it they have to pay me the double first clean price for the first clean and the subsequent regular clean price for however many they have had.

Payment must be paid within 28 days (if cancelling) or a late payment admin fee (£15) is charged.. and then letter before court action.

Not had to go the letter b4 action route yet - all clients been very good staying (up to them if they wish to cancel after the 4 cleans).

The double price/4 clean system is clearly explained why and all clients understand.

If any one does not agree to pay 2 times or sign up to the 4 clean - then i dont clean for them, simple as that - as they are likely to be messers.

Window Washers

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2009, 05:59:14 pm »
Hello Lee,

Hope this helped.

I go with this..

however if customers are not liking the double price - I offer them a 4 clean contact whereby they sign up to 4 monthly cleans. If they break it they have to pay me the double first clean price for the first clean and the subsequent regular clean price for however many they have had.

Payment must be paid within 28 days (if cancelling) or a late payment admin fee (£15) is charged.. and then letter before court action.

Not had to go the letter b4 action route yet - all clients been very good staying (up to them if they wish to cancel after the 4 cleans).

The double price/4 clean system is clearly explained why and all clients understand.

If any one does not agree to pay 2 times or sign up to the 4 clean - then i dont clean for them, simple as that - as they are likely to be messers.

do you have a copy of the comtract you get them to sign for this ? if so please email design@windowwashers.co.uk

think what you are saying is spot on, maybe charge extra 25% to cover the water usage and  some of the extra time need.

Would love to know what MR bugalow says if people ask why are you charging 2/3x the normal clean price if they say  do you not want my repeat business or why when you need the job as much as they do.

If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

ftp

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2009, 06:18:14 pm »
I don't normally charge more on a first clean because you are taking so long due to the inadequate abilities of wfp producing a good clean first time around. How embaressing it must be to charge all that extra money then put it in your pocket "by the way your first clean might not be up to standard and you may experience spots and runs"

wizard

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2009, 07:46:19 pm »
Before I commit to a price, I ask them how they would like me to quote so I know at what intervals I will clean. If they are not sure I give 3 prices .4 weekly 8 week and one off or first clean price which is mostly 50% more than 4 weekly prices( One off could go up to double). 8 weekly are 30% more than 4 weekly. I follow this very quickly with an explanation why each is different. I would tell then. (I want to do a very through job the first. You would want that wouldn’t you? ) This is the exact words I say as they can only agree. When ever they must only agree I always pose the question and ask for an agreement. A trick I learned in sales, always works.