Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

daz1977

Re: pricing
« Reply #60 on: November 01, 2009, 10:46:34 am »
how can people be underpricing surely it all depends on where you live,

i would love to have a average of 12.50 a job, but i live in cornwall and have a average of 6 quid  due to all the starter homes and 2 bed houses and 1 bedroom bung for people waiting for death by the sea down here

if i lived in london then prehaps i would be classed as undercutting other window cleaners, if i wasnt charging 15 a house

the reason i took on "crap jobs" is because when i started, i need work, and took on anything that would pay reasonable, to build up round and get me known, which it did,  but am slowly replacing it with better work

prehaps the people who say that 12.50 is cheap must have more work can they can handle and only want the cream   which i understand    

« Reply #61 on: November 01, 2009, 11:05:37 am »
i cannot believe you lot have been up all night talking about this :o

does your wives snore  ;D

Like a pig   ;D

I do actually live on my own.  As I was so tired I went to bed around 9.  Therefore I woke up a bit before 3.  Then I went back to bed about 5.30 and slept some more until about 8.30.  Funnily enough, I had a far better nights sleep than I usually get.

« Reply #62 on: November 01, 2009, 11:12:23 am »
how can people be underpricing surely it all depends on where you live,

i would love to have a average of 12.50 a job, but i live in cornwall and have a average of 6 quid  due to all the starter homes and 2 bed houses and 1 bedroom bung for people waiting for death by the sea down here

if i lived in london then prehaps i would be classed as undercutting other window cleaners, if i wasnt charging 15 a house

the reason i took on "crap jobs" is because when i started, i need work, and took on anything that would pay reasonable, to build up round and get me known, which it did,  but am slowly replacing it with better work

prehaps the people who say that 12.50 is cheap must have more work can they can handle and only want the cream   which i understand    

I do have a fair bit of work in the £10 - £13 bracket.  A property has to be a lot smaller now to do for a tenner than it used to be.  Although I will still do new jobs for £10, it's very unusual for me to price under £12.  Also, I do have some pre-existing work that is cheaper (a bit too much of it if truth be told).  The cheapest house I do is £6 (3 tiny cottages in a row).  I also do a ground floor maisonette for a fiver.  The only reason I haven't put it up is because he has no cheque book and sends cash in the post  ;D .  In truth, the actual clean really is just about 6 - 7 minutes at a plod and I drive right past his door anyway.

GB Window Cleaning

« Reply #63 on: November 01, 2009, 11:14:09 am »
thanks to everyone for all your input, your opinions and this forum are pricless to me.
i think i am going to implement a min £10 charge from now on too.

I have been cleaning windows for about six months now, on my own with no training or help from anyone.
in the last month i have gone w.f.p from trad, but i only filter water using d.i in a tap water p.p.m reading erea of 300. hence the reason im only using w.f.p for 1st floor and above.

Now to simplify my orignal question what do you all think an east midlands (lincolnshire) indow cleaner should earn an hour?

many thank again everyone george

« Reply #64 on: November 01, 2009, 11:25:10 am »
Then just discuss and come to a compromise if you can.

I wouldnt pay money to a roundbuilder if he wasnt securing properties at their true worth. Lower your price, and work for less than your true worth or value??? You really shouldnt have posted that about your business methods on a national forum.

I would presume that you would do that to help ensure you line your pocket and do your customer (the window cleaner) out of the products (the round you are being paid to build) true worth. Not good.

« Reply #65 on: November 01, 2009, 11:47:25 am »
See, me and Ewan.....peas from the same pod  :D

Tosh

« Reply #66 on: November 01, 2009, 11:52:28 am »
Now to simplify my orignal question what do you all think an east midlands (lincolnshire) indow cleaner should earn an hour?

£25 an hour?  Not less definately and more if you can.  Once you take into consideration daylight hours, time off for inclement weather, holidays and sickness; you'll still be skint at £25 an hour if you've got a family to maintain.

But I would say that unless you're a natural, you won't be upto full speed after six months.

GB Window Cleaning

« Reply #67 on: November 01, 2009, 11:59:40 am »
okay thanks tosh.
i was thinking £30 an hour to be honest?!?!

anyone from lincolnshire on hear can tell me what they earn an hour?

thanks again. george

wizard

« Reply #68 on: November 01, 2009, 01:01:40 pm »
I think it is wise to pay heed to ones client even round builder.Getting step with our income base in never a bad idea.Allowing your client to dictate is no wise business practice.

GB Window Cleaning

« Reply #69 on: November 01, 2009, 01:44:56 pm »
so £30 an hour for lincolnshire w.c about right?  :)

mark dew

« Reply #70 on: November 01, 2009, 01:48:44 pm »
I think gdroundbuilders words have been seized on a bit harshly. What he says about the 10 or 11 quid job is right i think. I did the same when i was building my round to a level that i could live off.
Only once i reached that point did i become more true to my word.
The majority of us on this post are only looking to improve our work, rather than try to suck everything up. That i think is why gd has been jumped on. But for those who need to grow asap, his canvassing methods are sound. They could always be better, but there isn't anything wrong with it. I think it's a positive at the building stage of business.

Sean Dyer

« Reply #71 on: November 01, 2009, 01:49:14 pm »
100 phour is right if you can get it, and clean it :)

you decide what you want

it all depends on type of customer, how good a service you offer/do, the competition, the demographic, how efficient andquick you can clean and work

i might earn more than you doing the same work as i clean faster so there is no "hourly rate" it all down to you

rather than per hour canvass work per unit ie £1 per window that way you will never go wrong and extra money comes from your speed cleaning them

if you can demand a higher price for your work then do so

GB Window Cleaning

« Reply #72 on: November 01, 2009, 01:56:40 pm »

rather than per hour canvass work per unit ie £1 per window that way you will never go wrong and extra money comes from your speed cleaning them

thanks sean...

when you say £1 per window does that include frames?

george.

« Reply #73 on: November 01, 2009, 02:37:02 pm »
Dear All,

I am only going to post once more on this subject, I work very closely with my cleaners to make sure our relationship is profitable for us both. I do not underprice or undervalue work in any way, I will however not walk away from a deal over a pound!!

I am fully aware my kind of services are not for everyone, and I am not trying to convert anyone(I dont need to for a start as I have plenty of work) all i was trying to do was make a point to a guy who is just starting out...

One day you guys will realise all this is subjective and there are no set rules....

Have a great day

George

I agree that it is subjective.  It just appeared that you were the one who was trying to tell people with full rounds how to price.  Of course I priced lower when I first started.  Only because I didn't know any better though - I had no mentor and the internet wasn't really about back then like it is now.
Pricing can be regional.  I do accept that.  I don't accept about pricing differently because the work is compact though.  I've done that before and it was a mistake IMO.
It's a pity you don't intend to contribute more to this thread.  I do like to exchange ideas on different ways of doing things.

Sean Dyer

« Reply #74 on: November 01, 2009, 03:12:29 pm »

thanks sean...

when you say £1 per window does that include frames?

george.

the £1 is for a unit so say 3 windows in a set you would reach in one go

frames would be extra again to me but others do them ? another subject that :)

GB Window Cleaning

« Reply #75 on: November 01, 2009, 05:37:18 pm »
lol ive opened up a can of worms with this thread!
anyone else from lincolnshire on here can tell me what there hourly rate is?
sorry for being nosy
thanks george.

Sean Dyer

« Reply #76 on: November 01, 2009, 05:45:47 pm »
dont think you will get an answer, and an average over the year is different to what they would aim for or even there best rate

you really need to decide in your head how much you need per week, how much you want, what is realistic given you know how much you are charging per house and how long they take you

how many houses/hours you want to do each week, how much time off you want, what youre over heads are then you will have some kind of idea what hourly rate you want/need to make a living :)

GB Window Cleaning

« Reply #77 on: November 01, 2009, 05:49:22 pm »
thanks for your input sean. anyone else? might as well make this thread 8 pages long lol.

mark dew

« Reply #78 on: November 01, 2009, 06:31:35 pm »
thanks for your input sean. anyone else? might as well make this thread 8 pages long lol.

how long you been cleaning?

Sean Dyer

« Reply #79 on: November 01, 2009, 06:34:40 pm »
what do you want pal it isnt a sensible question

what is the hourly rate in lincolnshire for window cleaners??

might as well ask how long is a piece of string mate