Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

ccmids

Re: pricing
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2009, 05:11:32 pm »
dont price by the glass , just price by how much you want to clean the lot .
think how long it will take by trad not wfp that way you get what you want. ;)
wfp is faster .

GB Window Cleaning

« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2009, 05:16:58 pm »
yeah i always wipe any dirty water i create on the sills and frames while cleaning glass
anyone else got anything to add?

« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2009, 05:25:52 pm »
really matt? okay i'll give that a try!

by the way matt how much do you charge and where abouts do you live and work?

He doesnt do many houses as he too busy getting locked behind bars  ;D

I forgot to say in the original thread when she got back she tied me to the bed and smothered me in chocolate and ice-cream.

R W C

« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2009, 05:28:24 pm »
really matt? okay i'll give that a try!

by the way matt how much do you charge and where abouts do you live and work?

He doesnt do many houses as he too busy getting locked behind bars  ;D

I forgot to say in the original thread when she got back she tied me to the bed and smothered me in chocolate and ice-cream.

was that it, no specials

« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2009, 05:42:02 pm »
I'd be banned (agsin) if I told what else she did to me  ;D

« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2009, 05:52:41 am »
thanks guest,
anyone else got any input?

You won't go far wrong if you go for £1 a window with a £10 minimum.  Do sills as standard and charge 50% extra when they want frames cleaned.  Alternatively, retaining the £10 minimum, maybe £1.20-£1.40 a window and wipe frames each time.  Try to keep the pricing to £1 multiples though.
Particularly on larger or unusual jobs, it's a good idea to do a frame count AND a time estimate.  You can then go for the higher of the two if you're unsure what to charge.  The worst that happens is they say no.

Window Washers

« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2009, 07:36:25 am »
I'd be banned (agsin) if I told what else she did to me  ;D
we do not want to know what her dogs did to you Matt.  ::)
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

GB Window Cleaning

« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2009, 08:06:13 pm »
ive been thinking about this alot over the last few days and i think i might be setting myself up for a fall for when i go full time on my w.f.p let me explain...

at the moment im offering two seperate services,

service 1, basic (just glass)

service 2, premium (glass frames & sill)

(doors are optional extra's)

i use traditional methods for basic cleans (just glass) and wfp for anything above ground floor for premium clean (glass frames and sills).

Now the problem i have with this way of working is when i go w.f.p full time the two seperate services will go out the window becaause the w.f.p does frames glass and sills anyway!?!?

can you see my dilema? and what is everyones thoughts and idea on this?

help im confused!?!?!

GB Window Cleaning

« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2009, 08:23:34 pm »
hmmm thanks ewan,
                                 I think you might have a good point there! i think im over coplicating things!

what about doors do most window cleaner incude doors or are they optional extra?

GB Window Cleaning

« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2009, 08:54:30 pm »
thanks GDroundbuilder,
The only thing that suprises me about what youve just said is that i should include doors as standard!
thanks for your input im in lincoln by the way.

daz1977

« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2009, 09:17:37 pm »
i include doors as standard,  whats the point in cleaning the windows, when some one walks up to the door and it is dirty,  i use wfp and takes a min to clean a door,  most custy dont even realise that a window cleaner has been unless theres a note (i hope this doesnt mean i am a crap wc)  but where i am in cornwall a  lot of the doors are pvc  and collect a lot of dirt on the patterns more than the ,   its like when i do commercial, i clean signs  takes a few minutes but can be the difference between a regular custy or a one off

mark dew

« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2009, 09:51:15 pm »
GB, how long have you been window cleaning? Because if you have just started, you will double your speed by 6 months anyway.
I look at your pricing and think that is fine. I have a £10 minimum but your prices are good.
I clean every hole in the wall that has glass in it. The frames as well.
The only problem i can see is working 2 methods alongside each other. You would be better off using wfp on everything.
As i asked how long have you been cleaning traditionally and wfp. Because on repeat work you can end up doing work in fractions of the time that you do now.  
I would also clean the frames as well for that price. They set the scene. They only need scrubbing well once then a quick rub on repeat cleans.
If you haven't been going long, your slowness is understandable compared to hourly rates seen on here. The speed will come automaticallywith time, as you understand each property.
All you really need to do is keep doing a good job. The speed will come without the need to cut corners. As tempting as that can be.

mark dew

« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2009, 09:59:01 pm »
I multiply standard windows X 80 pence. And round up to nearest pound.
Non standard windows are £1 or more.
But with a minmum of a tenner. The tenner minimum only exists for new work taken on which i explain over the phone before i go and quote.
I have several £6 jobs that are £10 because of it. I am too expensive for others.

mark dew

« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2009, 10:06:06 pm »
thats a politicians answer, what do you charge?? and where are you?

What do you mean politicians. There is no standard 4 bed detatched house round here.
I have 3 and the cheapest is £15 and most £22. I'm in north suffolk and work mostly villages.
I gave price per type of window so you can work it out.

mark dew

« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2009, 10:26:33 pm »
They all have conservatories. And the cheapest i know from my pricing had 18 windows. The £22 26 / 27 windows.
My 80p per standard window seems cheap compared to many on here but i achieve £30+ per working hour.
On conservatories i clean the fascia and gutters which are at head height in the price. This only needs thoroughly doing the 1st time, then a quick brush whenever there's a little dirt. 
Over 90% of my work is in villages. I get many calls from town but it's 50/50 if i am too expensive or not.
I stopped working town 4 years ago cos i was fed up with prices. I've only in the last year stopped turning down work in the towns. But as i say, sometimes i'm too expensive.

mark dew

« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2009, 10:49:54 pm »
Fair play to you fella, if you can get those kind of prices in villages then i would steer clear of towns too.

Most of these prices were from when i was traditional. I priced and still do per window. Not time. It is only when quoting commercial work where there are sheets of glass that i will take time into account.
The best bit of advice i have implemented from here is to have a minimum charge.
I pondered for ages, then when i went wfp i got calls for quotes and always said i have a £10 minumum charge. I think people expect it because i have only had 1 person say ok no thanks.
I have about a dozen jobs that would have been priced between 6-8 quid.
I am in north suffolk in villages around the lowestoft, beccles and bungay area. There is a huge price different between lowestoft and the villages. 
There is good money in the coutryside. Most houses have more and larger windows than town equivalents.

mark dew

« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2009, 10:54:34 pm »
I have picked up directly and indirectly (neighbours/relatives/friends etc) around £1500 per month of work from a £10 a year advert in a parish magazine. 5 years it's been now.
Parish magazines are the best way to get a foothold in the coutryside. The types that get it are community types who network. Cracking properties and good working environment.

Window Washers

« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2009, 11:49:01 pm »
Why do you guys get obsessed with Roundbuilders making money?? Surely we are all in business to make money???

So if you had two houses together for £8 you would still insist on a £10 minimum charge??

No I dont clean windows but I work very closely with my customers to make sure they are happy, if you read my post again you will see I agreed with a minimum charge in principle just not across the board.

I still stand by that...
That is because you do not clean them fella, you dont own a window cleaning company, you see it from your business view and to window cleaners that make monmey for this very reason it is wrong.

I do not in anyway have a problem with you making money, I use round building companies from time to me  to add to work load..

Min charges are there for a reason  ;) even if you have 2 £8 house either side, I call it customer loyaltiy bonus  , sorry cant read what I am typing as ciu and msn ie seem not to like each other at the moment.

Ian

p.s I really dont have a problem, but it is good for you to listen m8  ;)     
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

Window Washers

« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2009, 11:56:33 pm »
customer loyalty bonus?? wow
longer they stay the cheaper there prices will be from others, trust me it work have been doing it many years ;) this is why you knocking and giving a new customer it cheaper than min charge does not work fella, it is flored and will only long term earn you more money not the window cleaner, unless they are very lucky

mark dew

« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2009, 12:07:24 am »
I also price up each job as a stand alone. I don't do discounts if i have next door as well. I do this because if i lose 1 the other isn't worth doing so i in effect lose 2 customers.
I don't reduce prices over time either. I look at each new quote and think would i be happy cleaning this for ££ for the next 3 years. If no i add a quid on or  whatever.
Any extras i do might be low level guttering around porches and conservatories. But i have to be happy with the price. It can be demoralising going to a job semi unhappy.