Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

GB Window Cleaning

pricing
« on: October 29, 2009, 01:50:43 pm »
i think im under pricing my jobs or im too slow...

ive read alot of you price for £15 to £30 per hour.
ive also read alot of you price £1 a window and 50p per ladder lift.
when you say £1 per window does that include frames and sills?
im not making enough money at the moment and im getting disalusioned to be honest!
any advice and tips are very welcome!

thanks, george.

R W C

Re: pricing
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 01:53:30 pm »
what area you in,
are you trad or wfp,
what would you charge for 2 up 2 down

GB Window Cleaning

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 02:06:32 pm »
im in the east midlands area.
im trad and w.f.p.
for a 2 up 2 down with 6 windows i would charge £6 incuding frames and sills each and every time!
£3 for just glass!

what do you recon r w c?

thanks.

p.s i would charge £1 extra for each door (which would include glass and door)

p.p.s my serice includes any paint and sticker removal from glass frames and sills.

R W C

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 02:16:31 pm »
I would of thought you should be looking for between £10-£12 including frames on that sort of property, I charge for frames on every clean as custys like this when I say that I do it,Im wfp and far far south so things may be different from where you are, theres quite a few on here from your area so im sure youll get a few more replys.

Chris

GB Window Cleaning

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 02:20:28 pm »
thanks chris

it looks like im under charging by about 50%.
i might start charging £1 for just glass and £2 for glass frames and sills! what does everyone think?

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2009, 02:22:18 pm »
Thats pretty much what I would have suggested,

GB Window Cleaning

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2009, 02:30:06 pm »
really matt? okay i'll give that a try!

by the way matt how much do you charge and where abouts do you live and work?

R W C

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2009, 02:33:55 pm »

He doesnt do many houses as he too busy getting locked behind bars  ;D

Sapphire Window Cleaning

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2009, 02:37:11 pm »

I have customers in the Hinckley area of Leicestershire, I charge £1 per window, £1.50 for patio window/french doors, £2.00 for bay windows/windows on the second floor and sky lights and 50p per door, I only scrub the frames on the first clean, then quickly go over them every other clean.

Matt
Reaching parts traditional window cleaners can not reach.

Sapphire Window Cleaning

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2009, 02:37:39 pm »

He doesnt do many houses as he too busy getting locked behind bars  ;D

;D ;D ;D
Reaching parts traditional window cleaners can not reach.

GB Window Cleaning

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2009, 02:39:17 pm »
lol yeah i heard about that! some customers are so effing stupid matt.

Alistair@AWC

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2009, 02:41:49 pm »
GB,

I don't think there is too much wrong with your current pricing, so it must be your speed!

By all means up your pricing if you think you can get away with it

GB Window Cleaning

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2009, 02:45:46 pm »
I basically offer two seperate services, a basic clean (just glass) and a premium clean (glass frames and sills) does anyone think this is a good idea?

cozy

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2009, 03:04:45 pm »
Hi GB, Here is what Ian Giles said about pricing and hourly rates etc, He doesn't post much, but when he does it makes sense (Most of the time :D ). Hope it helps.

Break down windows into a unit cost.

Then it is just a case of walking around a job, counting up the windows, breaking them down into what you consider to be a unit and multiply by whatever you have allowed as your unit cost.

It makes pricing far more accurate and takes out a large element of 'guess-timation' from the equation.

If you are fairly new to the game then you need to know what the average time it takes for an experienced window cleaner to clean your average window.

In basic terms, an average casement window, about 45" tall and about the same in width, with 3 panes of glass, one narrow opening light above a single fixed pane, and a longer opening pane to the one side will take approx 90 seconds to clean, including any detailing thats needed.
And that is to a good standard including the sills wiped down properly.

Oh, the above is for trad window cleaning, but generally, even if WFP, it is best to price up as for trad.

AS Simon said, to begin with you will be miles slower than someone experienced, but these are the people you are pricing against, so you need to be competitive...
AS your skills and speed increase then so do your earnings.

What you charge per window (or unit) is up to you, and is also to a degree governed by your location in the country.
My own unit charge is £1.00, and my rate - per - minute - worked is also £1.00

This does not mean earnings of £60 an hour...not by any stretch of the imagination...there is a world of difference between the rate - per - minute - worked and what you eventually earn per hour.

The rate per minute is the time taken when you are actually at the windows cleaning them, no  allowance for talking to customers, setting up or putting away or driving between jobs, or time off because of the weather/holidays/sickness/breakdowns and so on.

I'm WFP so my time per window is more like 30 seconds rather than 90 seconds and an average semi will take me around 10 minutes to actually 'clean'...but there is no way I will average 6 semi's an hour!!!!

Mr average on a good day will ...er...average about 3 0r 4 an hour over a full days work, oh, and for most an average days work will rarely be more than 6 hours before he (or she) is heading off home. That isn't to say many don't work considerably longer hours, we often work much longer ourselves (6am starts and 5pm finishes).

Something else to ALWAYS remember is that your hourly turnover rate (perceived not actual!!) is not your wage! it is your business income/turnover from which you take your wage....

Have a minimum charge and over and above that, price per unit and NOT per hour.

Ian

GB Window Cleaning

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2009, 03:13:04 pm »
thanks guest,
anyone else got any input?

R W C

« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2009, 03:18:36 pm »
Are you getting 100% of the work your pricing if so your too cheap id raise new work to an extra 50% and if your still getting it all double your original price. Also give your current work a rise in the new year.

GB Window Cleaning

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2009, 03:24:25 pm »
i would say i get 9 out of 10 jobs i price.
good advice r w c thankyou

Mike_G

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2009, 03:27:18 pm »
£6 for six windows seems good to me.  £3 for just glass is where you are going wrong, sills everytime but frames every now and then if you are using squeegee etc.   A house like this should take 15 minutes maximum so 4 in an hour £24. How long are you taking to clean them?

GB Window Cleaning

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2009, 03:35:52 pm »
im thinking it should be more like £12 for 6 windows and £6 for just glass to be honest!?!?!

Mike_G

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2009, 04:57:53 pm »
im thinking it should be more like £12 for 6 windows and £6 for just glass to be honest!?!?!

£6 for the glass is about right to me but always give the sills a wipe it takes a second and it will keep your customers happy.