This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

s.hughes

Who does office clean as an extra?
« on: October 21, 2009, 08:08:16 am »
How many of us do office cleaning to help us out durring the hard months?
I have for 15 years and have slowly got rid of most of em. I now have 1 left which I have had for 10 years. I am thinking that now its time to let it go. The reason is that for 10 years I have worked hard at it and never had a complaint, until now when a new office girl has come in (part-time) and started complaining. Her complaint is the toilet floors. I have mentioned to them 10 years ago that they needed to seal the floors and they didnt care. The toilets are used by the factory workers and get oil and pitch on them. My job is to mop and I told em that I would av to get down on my hands and kness and scrub it. They thought that I shoud be doing that as part of the clean.
The good thing about this job is they pay on time every time. I do some extras for them at no cost so I think I'm being fair as I know other companies will make you wait a long time for your money. However after 10 years and only £20 payrise a month in that time I am fed up.
The job is £270 a calander month, I go in twice a week and the absolute longest i'm inthere for is 4 hours a week in total.
What do you guys think, would you stick it out knowing no matter what you do there will be more moans when your doing a good job. Or would you clear off?

drwindows

Re: Who does office clean as an extra?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 09:28:21 am »
4 hrs per week = 16 hrs per month for £270

thats barely £16.88 per hour.

To be honest, you can earn twice that with window cleaning without much bother, and if someone complains unreasonably you can drop them in a heartbeat.

If you're sick of it, personally I would get rid in favour of window cleaning.

ftp

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 10:08:12 am »
Does it rain much in that office?

Think I'd keep it and find a cleaning solution that would whip the stains off.

s.hughes

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 12:11:25 pm »

concof is the solution to get it all off. They have it but you go through 2 mops (cant be used again) and it takes hours and I mean hours to do and its toxic smell. If you dont get it all off the floor then it dries with brown smears, its a real artwork. They dont understand this and think its just a whip on and off, dosnt matter what I tell they just shrug and think I should do it.
I have decided that I will soldier on, but if there are any more complaints then I will tell em to get someone else. Thing is I have to allow them 3 months which will be great as it will be end of Jan/Feb before I leave. Just in time for the spring.

But is there anybody else that has offices to help em out?

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 02:23:16 pm »

concof is the solution to get it all off. They have it but you go through 2 mops (cant be used again) and it takes hours and I mean hours to do and its toxic smell. If you dont get it all off the floor then it dries with brown smears, its a real artwork. They dont understand this and think its just a whip on and off, dosnt matter what I tell they just shrug and think I should do it.
I have decided that I will soldier on, but if there are any more complaints then I will tell em to get someone else. Thing is I have to allow them 3 months which will be great as it will be end of Jan/Feb before I leave. Just in time for the spring.

But is there anybody else that has offices to help em out?

I had an issue like that.  It was a car showroom.  The rear toilets were used by the mechanics.  Floor was a nightmare.  It was different for me though.  It was PAYE so I only needed to leave - which I did after a year or so.  Thwe only thing that made it bearable there was the very nice person who I worked along with.  It was far too hot in there for comfortable working.  The hot air blowers used to come on and I would be mopping the showroom floor with my top off (it was an out of hours job) and sweat pouring off me.

s.hughes

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 04:38:27 pm »
4 hrs per week = 16 hrs per month for £270

thats barely £16.88 per hour.

To be honest, you can earn twice that with window cleaning without much bother, and if someone complains unreasonably you can drop them in a heartbeat.

If you're sick of it, personally I would get rid in favour of window cleaning.
I know I can make more on the windows but it is nice to have that cheque at the end of the month which helps pay my rent at the beginning of the month. If I gave it up I would have to seperate the money into another account for a while because I'm used to having it as a lump sum.
If that makes any sense!!!

bobby p

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2009, 04:48:04 pm »
sounds like its  time  to make a stand .  flex the cleaner muscle  and tell the new parttimer a few home truths at the very last . dont be mild-be wild -     theyll respect u for it !

s.hughes

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2009, 05:00:17 pm »
sounds like its time to make a stand . flex the cleaner muscle and tell the new parttimer a few home truths at the very last . dont be mild-be wild - theyll respect u for it !
She's a looker but now UGLY in my eyes

windowcleaninginessex.co.uk

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2009, 05:39:17 pm »
If you are happy with that, go with it. If you get keys, you can go in early morning do the clean then get out and earn more cleaning windows. Regular / Guaranteed money is a good  thing.
---THE BEST YOU CAN GET---
www.windowcleaninginessex.co.uk

s.hughes

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2009, 05:51:59 pm »
If you are happy with that, go with it. If you get keys, you can go in early morning do the clean then get out and earn more cleaning windows. Regular / Guaranteed money is a good thing.
Yes its a key job. I wouldnot do it otherwise.

windowcleaninginessex.co.uk

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2009, 06:03:50 pm »
If you are happy with that, go with it. If you get keys, you can go in early morning do the clean then get out and earn more cleaning windows. Regular / Guaranteed money is a good thing.
Take it on, all work is good work if you are earning money
---THE BEST YOU CAN GET---
www.windowcleaninginessex.co.uk

s.hughes

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2009, 06:28:46 pm »
Take it on, all work is good work if you are earning money
Its not if you are genuinely doing a A++ job and they moan at you for it.

weetot

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2009, 08:31:05 pm »
I used to employ 16 part time cleaners for a number of years, but it would be a major hassle if a couple of the cleaners were not up to scratch, and then the complaints start, which eventually ended up me having to go and clean the problem, afetr explaining to the cleaner and the job still not getting done.

Then there was cleaners throwing sickies, which meant me w/c all day then get the boiler suit on and go office cleaning.

Good work for those who can manage staff well, but i couldnt do it any more after 10 years of it.

Now back as a sole trader on windowcleaning and carpet cleaning. ;)
Never take financial advice from people who have no money!