This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Craig 72

Is it normal to lose a lot of customers in Winter?
« on: October 20, 2009, 02:13:40 pm »
I started window cleaning in March so this will be my first winter.I've got a decent round going so far which just about covers my mortgage and bills with a bit over but this last week I've had a fair few customers tell me that they don't want their windows done in the winter.What's the logic behind this?It's not like they're not going to get dirty just because it's cold surely?If I have too many more like this I'm going to up a certain creek without a paddle.All the people who have said this so far have said that they will want them doing again around March but surely they must realise that we have bills to pay in the meantime.

Steve CM

Re: Is it normal to lose a lot of customers in Winter?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 02:16:01 pm »
when you have fresh work like that you will always have a few drop off in winter. as the work matures your regulars will be with you all year round. i just like it when they come back to me in spring and say start cleaning again. they normally have to find a new cleaner ;)

R W C

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 02:17:47 pm »
Canvass for the ones that drop out, I have told custys when I get them that I work all year round as I have mortgage and bills to pay, they except this, any that say come back in spring are told that I only do properties that are wanting it done throughout the year,ask them if theyd except there employer telling them to come back in the spring,
Do these people think we sign on at this time of year.

Chris

john k

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2009, 02:20:13 pm »
you might lose 1 or 2 but you usually pick more up if they ask you back in the summer tell them no there not worth having there loads of work out there :D

david thomas

Re: Is it normal to loose a lot of customers in Winter?
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2009, 02:25:30 pm »
The fun of being self employed. I don't have many do this. 2 of my customers go to Spain till march. Door knock/flyer
the area to replace them this is part of fine tuning your round things like this will always happen.

Craig 72

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2009, 02:52:31 pm »
Hopefully I won't get too many more.It is bloody annoying though.I'm not really in a position to drop people who are messing me about like this,I just have to bite the bullet.I'll get out canvassing as suggested to try to recoup the lost earnings.Looking on the bright side,it will be a nice little boost of money come Springtime.

Tosh

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2009, 03:25:09 pm »
Craig,

In the first few years you will get a higher percentage of 'bad customers'; in my first few years being asked not to come back till Spring was a fairly normal thing to hear three-or-four times on the approach to Winter.

I just dropped them!  But when your round is more settled and you've had your customers for a few years, you'll rarely have any problems like this.  I can't honestly remember the last time I had a customer say, "Not this month, mate", or "Can you leave them till the Spring?"

matt

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2009, 03:27:23 pm »
tosh is right

when you start you get a fair % of customers that have been ditched by other WC'ers for various reasons

as time moves on and you pick up more and more work, the troublesome customers will be left behind and you will have customers who want a all year service

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2009, 03:29:16 pm »
when you have fresh work like that you will always have a few drop off in winter. as the work matures your regulars will be with you all year round. i just like it when they come back to me in spring and say start cleaning again. they normally have to find a new cleaner ;)

You will find that any new work will have a high % of fair weather customers,which is why many who start off in spring loose them like you have in autumn.
My advice is to take it on the chin and when they phone up in spring re-quote them a higher price. Over time you will as has been daid loose these sort alltogether.

pingu

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2009, 05:10:18 pm »
All you can do really is say ok...and in the mean time just replace them and in the spring should they wish to continue..thats your choice then.

Cheers
Dave.

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2009, 05:35:00 pm »
I started window cleaning in March so this will be my first winter.I've got a decent round going so far which just about covers my mortgage and bills with a bit over but this last week I've had a fair few customers tell me that they don't want their windows done in the winter.What's the logic behind this?It's not like they're not going to get dirty just because it's cold surely?If I have too many more like this I'm going to up a certain creek without a paddle.All the people who have said this so far have said that they will want them doing again around March but surely they must realise that we have bills to pay in the meantime.

As Steve CM says, this also happened to me more in the first couple of years.  The last two who did it (a couple of years ago) have never seen me since. Two (newish) custies did this a couple of years back.  It was the first time anyone had asked for this for years.
I think the best thing you can do is build your round up over the winter.  Then you will have more choice about whether you want to work for the people who seem to think that you don't use any gas or electric in winter.  They probably also think you hibernate and don't need to live in a house.  Certainly, if you havebuilt your work up enough, I would reccomend treating them as new customers come spring (i.e. big price hike).  If they complain just tell them that your all year round custies have a lower price as a loyalty bonus.   :)

Craig 72

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2009, 05:37:47 pm »
Thanks for the encouraging advice folks.Hopefully I won't lose too many more.I'm looking forward to the time when I have enough customers to trim down the awkward ones.Shouldn't be too much longer with any luck.I've just put an ad in a new local pamphlet which has just started in my area which covers 6000 homes so I'm hoping to get a fresh burst of customers when that comes out next month.

C.C.S.

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2009, 05:43:34 pm »
i've been window cleaning for 2.5 years and i use to and still got customers that mess you about.some of them i drop them cause i couldn't take anymore and some i keep until my round is complete.but it's true it takes about 3-4 years until you get a decent round with good cutomers until then we have to take whatever is available

dai

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2009, 06:01:29 pm »
Once you have an established round it wouldn't matter very much anyway, you can't do as much once you lose the daylight

windowswashed

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2009, 08:03:33 pm »
Dole brigade pack in come winter so you'll gain customers to replace the summer season customers. Not to worry.

Sean Dyer

« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2009, 08:46:34 pm »
Not to brag but ive found loads asking m to clean recently... i ahev been canvassing with limited success compared to normal but picking them up without trying, ie recommendations and while working

Strange this job there are  no rules, only that you tend to pick up more than you lose on average (or your doing something very wrong !)

You will be alright keep plodding, and dont always listen to the - dont take them back people

Just charge a bit for there first clean and carry on again as normal especially if they compact your round!

ccmids

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2009, 08:48:32 pm »
they will be back in spring don't worry about it .

lee_dewing

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2009, 11:39:48 pm »
we've all beem there craig,

I've been window cleaning 6yrs now

2yrs for someone else, when i got made redundant out of print trade,

then built up my own round on side and broke away from my w/c mentor who turned out to be full of empty promises ::)

First couple of years are the hardest, i still get messers now, and recently  had a custy say leave til spring.
     I just smiled at her and said ok it's upto you of course but i can't promise your space will still be there in spring as i now have a waiting list.

she still said leave it :D

you can try and make all the rules and regs u like at the end of the day; the custy will do what they want; but once your bursting with work; you have the choice to do what suits you.

I still remember the feeling of frustration of a not today and people hinting about the weather and trying to explain how i work all year round and in drizzly rain ;D
Going home feeling like my head was going to burst!

Keep at it mate; keep leafleting.
Think of them xmas tips ;)

lee
Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work.     - Aristotle

dazmond

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2009, 12:42:10 pm »
in 15 yrs of window cleaning only 1 custy has said leave them til spring!its a caravan park and reception and i take them back on in march usually no probs.the windows get dirtier in winter with all the wind and rain.all my custys know  its a business and ive bills to pay all year round.whats the frequency of ur cleans?most of mine are 4 weekly and a few 8 weekly.if theyve had the dole brigade before u they prob think ur doin it for beer money!its up to u to tell them ur a professional WC business and that means ALL YEAR ROUND!!

BEST WISHES DAZMOND
price higher/work harder!