Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Atlantic Cleaning

Micro Splitting
« on: May 29, 2005, 08:44:36 am »
Hi

Tried for the first time yesterday using micro splitting chemicals (One Step) Misted it on scrubbed and scrubbed then rinsed with water as advised on the lable the results were very poor and the room after cleaning smelt like a wet dog. I ended up re-cleaning the carpet using my old chemicals can someone advise me what I am doing wrong. I know it must be something that I am doing as you guys get such good results. The Carpet was a woven wool carpet.

Regards

Duncan

Gavin Reardon

Re: Micro Splitting
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2005, 09:57:56 am »
Hi Duncan

First of all the smell of a damp dog, is becase it is wool carpet + they nearly always do small like that!

I find that these products work better on synthetic carpets than wool, but I still do get good results on wool.

What dilution rate did you use?

when you say you scrubbed and scrubbed with what?

Sometimes more than a mist is needed.  ;)

Regards Gavin
Gavin Reardon IICRC / NCCA

www.ace-cleaning.co.uk

john rees

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2005, 10:29:36 am »
hi duncan,
                I agree with gavin,especially if the carpet is well trashed! I've only been using microsplitters for about 6 months but have had very few carpets that did not come up as well as using detergents! make sure that you pre-vac the carpet well before cleaning too!when I started using splitters I didn't have a machine to do the scrubbing so I had to use a brush :'( bloody hard work!!!!so I bought a sebo duo and the difference is you don't wear yourself out before finishing the job!and occasionally I've found that you can use a stronger concentration to get the best results!
               hope this helps
                                      john
john

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2005, 10:32:41 am »
The microsplitters do need to be diluted correctly, dependent on method of cleaning, agitation, fibre of carpet and level of soiling.
Agitation is best done with contra rotating brushes ( i use Sebo Duo ) and that is the key to best results.
Experiment on different dilution rates and ensure you use product that is woolsafe on wool carpets. You can add small amount of perfume to alleviate the 'wet wool' odour, when i finish i release a quick burst of Gerucht STOP into the room and smell is neutralised.
Many people, myself included, found the first experience of ms cleaning to be cautious and have found that a bit of fine tuning will make all the difference.
Good luck

Doug Holloway

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2005, 10:34:51 am »
Hi Duncan,

Most of the detergent based products you have previously used will contain perfume which masks the wet wool smell to an extent.

MS products do not contain perfume but you could add a little to your water if you prefer.

As to MS cleaning I too have found better results on synthetics where the dirt is not as well bonded.

As I understand it the MS  chemicals are part of CC detergents , the phosphates , which shear the dirt.
To enable these to work effectively the detergent molecules wet out the fabric and also help by suspending the dirt 'in solution'.

As this part is not  present in MS the agitation is increased to assist in shearing  .

If a carpet is lightly soiled or the dirt is not well bonded low concentrations of MS will give excellent results.

If however , the dirt is well bonded then higher concentrations and agitation will be required and sometimes the detergent/hot water approach is just more effective.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Doug

ABLECLEAN

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2005, 12:32:42 pm »
I have just cleaned 110m2 of wool Axminster in a club which I cleaned with detergent 18 months ago, but before that, it had not been cleaned for 12 years!! I told the committee when I last cleaned it that it should be done again in 6 months, but as usual they did not listen (budget). Anyhoo I told Nick VW at solutions and he suggested that I spray smaller areas at a time and leave for a shorter dwell time than usual. I used no2 not no4 and I used a mixture of 10:1.
The results were fantastic!! I hope this helps, you just have to experiment!

Atlantic Cleaning

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2005, 04:40:18 pm »
Thanks for all your comments.

I am using a carpet brush to scrub at the moment and I diluted the One Step 10:1

Duncan

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2005, 07:15:41 pm »
ive been using ashbys ms. but am coming to the conclusion that it is not the be all and end all myself. going back to the more standard chemicha,ls. also by the way they have as good as anybodys allergy treatment, cheap as well, does what everybody elsese say they do. and dont need to buy voloptious quantities. great leaflet comes with it. shame it has to come from them. still ::)
listen,learn.and benefit. try. reward.and love, peace harmony.feng shui. and all that. it improves ones selling .to ones customers.reap THE HARVEST WHILST YOU CAN. and try to crush the opposition.

therapist

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2005, 09:07:47 pm »
Chemblend in Yorkshire  ( Normanton ) have a very inexpensive powder which gives amazing results at very low cost.

I've been using it on "lower end ' work for years and am constantly amazed at the results.

The most satisfying result I ever got from M/S  ( One Step ) was on a 80/20 axminster, around 20 years old ond never previously cleaned.

At the time, about 5-6 years ago, I'd just started using M/S and probably spent longer than usual on the job, but the result was amazing .

The only agitation was from the CFR  extraction machine, which is pretty powerfull.

r m

HolmansUKLTD

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2005, 09:37:51 pm »
I use 10-1 on most carpets even when using charley pads seems to work ok for me i find it dosent matter how soiled they are but the amount you spray down which counts.
Surreys No1 Carpet & Upholstery cleaner
Surreys No1 Dart player
IICRC water restoration Technician

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2005, 10:07:57 am »
Sherlock

You would be dangerous if you actually new what you were talking about!!
 ??? ??? ;)

Regards Nick

Martin S

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2005, 11:24:08 am »
When diluted do Microsplitters, (or other chemicals for that matter), lose their effectiveness after a while, e.g. Solution left over from a day ot two ago, is it still as effective?

Regards.
Martin

paul@ctcs

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2005, 11:30:53 am »
From experience I would say microsplitters dont loose effectivness if left in a diluted state, I know some detergents like Ultimate master do need to be used within a fairly short time period.

Paul

Gavin Reardon

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2005, 03:51:42 pm »
Sherlock

I have spoken to Martin today from Ashbys, finding out about what they sell!

Also I have read up on there allergy products and taken a look at there website

You are WRONG when you say "Ashbys sell allergy treatment as good as anyones and does what others do"

They sell a product like Promite at about £35.00 plus vat for 5L this is used as it comes. I buy Aller-STOP for £57.00 plus vat for 10L

I do not take kindly to someone wasting my time and telling me lies

SHERLOCK

GAVIN'S TIP NUMBER 1 IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU ARE SAYING THEN DON'T SAY IT!!  ;D  ;D  ;D

Hope this helps Gavin
Gavin Reardon IICRC / NCCA

www.ace-cleaning.co.uk

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2005, 04:18:53 pm »
gavin you must not be a regular customer, because i dont pay that.and it does do what the rest do.
listen,learn.and benefit. try. reward.and love, peace harmony.feng shui. and all that. it improves ones selling .to ones customers.reap THE HARVEST WHILST YOU CAN. and try to crush the opposition.

« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2005, 04:34:13 pm »
Sherlock,
Firstly , i dont normally entertain a conversation with someone who 'needs' to wear a disguise........but today you have hit a nerve.
THERE IS NO OTHER PRODUCT THAT CAN CLAIM TO DO WHAT ALLERGSTOP DOES.
I wrote it big and typed it slow just so you can take it in  ::)

In my opinion, some people hide their identity to keep a low profile for good reason, that i accept. The people that come on here under a 'stupid' name and cause trouble are no better than kids in the playground that shout while running away. The brave stand, face up and back up their statements.

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2005, 04:49:38 pm »
im glad to see you have an opinion. thats exactly what a forum is about. i dont get nasty bitter and twisted. in my replys. you may .by the way ashbys does what it says. and can be diluted20-50-1. not bad , what is so saddening is that some of you want to be extra special. i dont . i dont need to keep hyping myself into the belief of any one product but then again ive not comitted myself to any one product     i make money by doing
so. do .you

Karl Wildey

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2005, 05:57:27 pm »
In my opinion those that think people should say what you have to say to your face, are usually built like a brick sh+t house.

Chris, you have pointed out Gavin is a big guy, but this type of opinion is not what we need on this forum, violence and threathening behaviour is not acceptable, Sherlock was making an opinion.

I do not know what Ashby are selling, so will not form an opinion.

Sherlock. Again your use of name instead of your really name (ron) has put someone back up, stop giving them an excuse and change your profile, if just to give the rest of us some peace and quiet

Matt Read

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2005, 08:21:08 pm »
I agree ,use your real name sherlock, u do make some valid points and i think u get harshly treated due to some of your earlier post's.

Surely as with any product if you have the gift of the gab then you will be able to sell more than someone who isn't so customer friendly. I'm sure allergstop is a top product but i wouldn't want the hard sell day in day out  cos i don't like to operate that way,others do and thats fine.It's also too early to say whether it is going to blow away competition from other similar products because repeat business is where u will know if it works and it hasn't been on the market long enough.

Maybe we all get carried away with our own importance sometimes, arguing amongst ourselves when the public are completely oblivious to what method ,detergent,microsplitter we use. I reckon i get asked once every blue moon real details...mainly "thats a big machine comments" . If i hire a tradesman i assume he use's what is nescessary to do the job and if i'm not happy i'll complain , i had a shower installed by a reputable company and they recommended a make, moved house,different firm different recommendation for that shower.  Unless allergstop goes national then a good salesman will sell more of an "inferior equivelent" than a not so good allergstop franchisee.Be interesting to watch how well known allergstop becomes over the next year or so.
Matt

Len Gribble

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2005, 09:08:29 pm »
Sherlock

Didn’t know Ashby’s done a MS product?

Have a major problem when I see cide on a label not saying they have don’t know the product, but know of others cides are cheaper to produce!

You say cheap please define, do you get discount from them?

Karl

Chris is only doing what Sherlock is doing! Bait I feed them to my fish every Sunday and are they spoilt! Think Rocky once said he ant that big, but as Dick (D.i.c.k) Emery once said but I like him!

One day we will get to the bottom with Sherlock!

Matt_nch

Only read your first par could not be bothered with the rest, what your real name?

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)