Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Aquakleen Restoration Services

Mentioning Chemdry on my website
« on: October 11, 2009, 12:26:08 pm »
Hi all

I am putting together a new website and thought about comparing my prices with Chemdrys but dont want to get in to trouble or ruffle any feathers!! I was only going to say something like we are 30% cheaper or something like that.

Where do i stand? You get supermarkets doing it all the time to each other??

Thanks in advance

John

derek west

Re: Mentioning Chemdry in on my website
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 12:27:24 pm »
as long as your 30% cheaper and you check it regularly then can't see anything wrong.
derek

Doug Holloway

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 12:35:21 pm »
Hi John,

If Chemdry decide to take issue with you, can you afford the legal fees.

Worth thinking about, personally I would not mention another company on my website.

Cheers

Doug

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 12:38:20 pm »
I don't even think it's a good marketing ploy for service businesses.

A tin of Hienz beans at tesco is a tin of Hienz beans in ASDA, it's a tangible product.

When people say to me  Why is your quote £50 more than the other guy? I say well why do you think they are £50 cheaper?

It's like saying we are a bit cheaper than the leading players in the CC Industry.

See how it could backfire?

Paul Heath

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2009, 12:44:26 pm »
Opening a can of worms...think they would have something to say, you have to be carefull when you mention things in public. very dodgy grounds.

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2009, 12:47:37 pm »
Hmmm I see your points! Maybe ill not do it then! It could be more trouble than it's worth. Thanks for your input guys

kinder clean

Re: Mentioning Chemdry on my website
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2009, 01:24:21 pm »
You could use wording like ' We have less overheads than our franchised competitors which means we can give you a more competitive quote' you can also mention the substantial 15% saving on vat ( providing your not vat registered ) 

Am I right in saying the franchisees of the big companies like Chemdry / Servicemaster etc... have to be vat registered ? if the MOTHER company ( for want of a better word ) is vat registered, as your a franchisee of that company do you have to be vat registered too ?

Paul

vacman

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2009, 01:29:05 pm »
Why would you want to mention Chemdry? Not everyone knows who they are to begin with. Not everyone is interested in a cheaper price. Some people may even decide to go to Chemdry (seeing how you mentioned them to the customer  ;D ) thinking that they'll be getting a better service as it's more expensive. Surely your own service is pretty darn good anyway and will blow the customers away?

jasonl

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2009, 02:50:20 pm »
I advertise  my prices  in comparison to CD , my prices include application of deodorize, sanitize and anti allergen , whilst these are all optional  extras with CD , which I feel are part of the job.
I also stress that I am not a franchise.
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

John Kelly

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2009, 05:17:15 pm »
Most if not franchises will be vat registered as their turnover will be over the threshold.

Mike Halliday

Re: Mentioning Chem Dry on my website
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2009, 05:59:00 pm »
when I first started using M/S I really tried to sell thier benefits, so on my leaflet i used the sentence......

we are the only company in east Yorkshire who refuse to use any harmful cleaning chemicals

I got a letter from Chem Drys solicitor threatening legal action if I didn't remove that statement from my advertising :-\ :-\

at the time I had read on an USA forum that one of Chem Dry's chemicals couldn't be used in California as it could be carcinogenic, so was going to fight my corner but in the end I could be bothered
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2009, 06:25:26 pm »
Not sure how you can do a price comparison as companies change the pricing stuctures all the time.

I watch with interest how Tesco constantly adjust their prices up and down

mark_roberts

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2009, 06:32:42 pm »
Jason

What chemicals do you use to clean, deodorise, sanitise and apply an anti allergen in one go or do you use four different chemicals?

Or do you only apply then when needed?

thanks
Mark

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2009, 07:02:37 pm »
You could use wording like ' We have less overheads than our franchised competitors which means we can give you a more competitive quote' you can also mention the substantial 15% saving on vat ( providing your not vat registered ) 

Am I right in saying the franchisees of the big companies like Chemdry / Servicemaster etc... have to be vat registered ? if the MOTHER company ( for want of a better word ) is vat registered, as your a franchisee of that company do you have to be vat registered too ?

Paul

I like the line 'We have less overheads than our franchised competitors which means we can give you a more competitive quote' Im going to use that thanks!

vacman

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2009, 08:11:27 pm »

Paul

I like the line 'We have less overheads than our franchised competitors which means we can give you a more competitive quote' Im going to use that thanks!

Fair enough, but do be aware that you are using the words competitive and competitors in the same line. It doesn't flow very well.

As to what to use in it's place, i'm still thinking for you. It's easy to come up with what you want to say, but much harder to put it into words. And looking at a lot of wbesites, i see it's not just me who has this bother  :-\

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2009, 09:02:44 pm »
Todays Top Tip:
There's nothing stopping you using the word chemdry in your keywords and picking up some potential customers who would look for chemdry ;D

vacman

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2009, 10:54:12 pm »
http://www.allkarecarpetcleaning.co.uk/carpetcleaning/default.phuse

These do it  ???

Their choice, and reading through some of their other unmeasured claims ("best clean ever" and "for years to come" to name two) i'm not suprised they've mentioned chemdry. Judging from their website, I doubt they've even considered the need to be able to back-up what they say  :-\

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2009, 10:57:31 pm »
Todays Top Tip:
There's nothing stopping you using the word chemdry in your keywords and picking up some potential customers who would look for chemdry ;D

Just in case you use adwords, don't use it in your keywords for that though.

Doctor Carpet (Ret'd)

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2009, 12:00:48 am »

Paul

Fair enough, but do be aware that you are using the words competitive and competitors in the same line. It doesn't flow very well.

As to what to use in it's place, i'm still thinking for you. It's easy to come up with what you want to say, but much harder to put it into words. And looking at a lot of wbesites, i see it's not just me who has this bother  :-\

Just for starters, how about:
"Franchise businesses often have higher running costs than us which means we can SAVE you money"
Diplomacy: the art of letting other people have your way