Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Craig 72

Is it ever ok to try to pinch work?
« on: October 06, 2009, 09:00:13 am »
I only ask because I was down my local gym the other day and I saw these two lads doing the most slapdash wfp job imaginable.The gym has these upstairs wooden windows where there are 10 or so smaller panes to an actual window (Georgian?).They didn't scrub each pane for more than a second,didn't rinse at all,left bad run marks on virtually all panes and missed some panes out entirely.I was gobsmacked to be honest as this job must be worth a lot of money.Would I be overstepping the mark by speaking to the manager and asking them if they wanted the job doing right?These clowns must know that they're taking the mick.

Re: Is it ever ok to try to pinch work?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 09:14:04 am »
Nothing wrong IMO with leaving a flyer and covering letter.

No difference between that and canvassing a street. We all have to raise our companys profile.

My opinion is its a dog eat dog world, theres a window cleaner lives next door to me, on his flyer it says 'We will beat any comparable quote'.

Is that undercutting?

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 09:44:03 am »
I think it's only frowned on taking work if you deliberately undercut someone else, as has been said if you send a quote with your price, that is business. or go and speak with the manager, ask if that is the normal quality of the work, then give him a price for your higher quality work ;)

APPLEMAIDCLEANING

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 09:44:36 am »
I would send a letter as a customer saying what you had seen and recommend your company!  ;D ;D ;D

or get friend to send letter and you send a leaflet.

daz1977

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 09:45:29 am »
i dont see any problems with doing that just give a quote, gone r the day of patches,  any other business people undercut each other all the time just look at supermarkets, y should window cleaning be any different,  remember majority of custy only change if they arnt happy with the work, not the price

u get what you pay for

MSTAV

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 09:49:03 am »
craig. what area are you mate??

G Griffin

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009, 10:03:33 am »
I think it comes down to whether the manager is happy with the current service or if he`s prepared to change. And may work in your favour using the gym, you scratch my back....
   Personally, I wouldn`t go criticising the other cleaners and pointing out runs and marks. If he approaches you though about them, just be honest.
    Nothing wrong with handing out a flyer anyway. I`m having some done with the slogan- " We will beat any comparable **** " 

Gerry.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

ian1972

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2009, 10:13:51 am »
at the end of the day its business there is no way you can pinch work as they dont own any customers pinching implys stealing something that is owned,as we all no custys can swap change and employ who they want,and they wont change if they are happy with you if not course they going to b on the lookout for someone new

Craig 72

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2009, 10:18:29 am »
Thanks for the input folks.Yeah I think I'll speak to somebody down there and offer my services.It's tempting to point out what cowboys these other fellas are but I think I agree with you Gerry,I won't criticise them.Could be related to the manager for all I know.That's the only reason I can see the gym accepting the awful job that's being done.

To MSTAV.Hi Mike,I've spoken to you before.I'm in Welling mate but the gym I go to is in Sidcup.The one by the ski slope by Ruxley.You're going to tell me you're the one who cleans it now aren't you!

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2009, 10:28:19 am »
I would say NEVER criticise another window cleaning company as it sounds demeaning to you too.  Highlight your own quality of work, insurances,  H & S procedures by all means but do not pull down your competitors'.

dazmond

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2009, 10:32:50 am »
Ive got a good round so i dont need to. ;Di get straight up with work then start gettin behind again.its lashing it down in manchester ::)but likes been already said just give him a business card and ask him if hes happy with current WC.I wouldnt undercut just give him ur price.a local diy store asked me to clean his shop windows and all around the back.30quid i said.im trad so about an hours work or so.he said no.he thought a tenner was about all he would pay :ono chance and walked off.i never turn down new work if the price is right.if they say no.so what?if yes ur quids in ;Dif ur short of work canvass and leaflet.SIMPLE.I never seem to be short of work these days and get a steady stream of new work while im not trying ie out and about on my regular round
price higher/work harder!

simon knight

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2009, 11:28:14 am »

Why not just point out to the two lads that their standards are not very good and offer them a short course on proper wfp methods...for a small fee of course ;D

A & J Owen Window Cleaning

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2009, 05:36:00 pm »
hi mate
i see no problem in that if they are doing a bad job you move in mate sell yourself as a good reliable service they do it to me so do it back man get some flyers and cards printed

jonnyald

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2009, 06:02:17 pm »
personally id not even quote ,unless you are truly desperate  to find work. u never know what those monkeys might  do,slash ur tyres or whatever . 

weetot

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2009, 06:27:42 pm »
personally id not even quote ,unless you are truly desperate  to find work. u never know what those monkeys might  do,slash ur tyres or whatever . 

Sod that,.............. just quote it, never mind anyone else, like matt says" Its a dog eat dog world" simple as that, and dont let ANYONE threaten you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Never take financial advice from people who have no money!

Mike_G

« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2009, 06:33:26 pm »
If you really want the job ask about it, but I wouldn't say much about the other guys as it might well be the managers brother, son, best mate etc etc.

G Griffin

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2009, 07:02:11 pm »
The job`s not up for grabs though.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2009, 07:14:19 pm »
guy i know lives at the end of my street do,s a bit of window cleaning [couple of streets in bolton] anyway i was telling him im going to get some flyers printed and go canvassing for more work, he seid take great care as i could get hurt cleaners in bolton dont take kindly to people on there patches,
iv heard this before in manchester is it just a north west thing,anyhow i seid i can look after myself so not bothered he seid some are in teams of 3 or 4 and you,ll come unstock any other bolton cleaners come across this ?

G Griffin

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2009, 07:24:46 pm »
A lot of it`s bluff Mick and some fuel the feeling to deter competition. If it`s not just talk, you`re doing nothing wrong and they are.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2009, 07:32:31 pm »
the bloke in question is very streight type used to clean with his dad few yrs back so knows the game some what and seid its far safer buying work wait and see if anyones selling when winter begins to bit.

i know theres a couple on here from roundabouts just wondered if thay come across it.