Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

macmac

Re: pole costs
« Reply #120 on: October 08, 2009, 08:35:17 pm »
Have to say there doesnt appear to be any logic (business logic or plain common sense logic) in what he is saying. Cant spot it, has to be said.

I have to agree but I'm trying to be nice & get to the bottom of if the whole Ewan is real or just a kid with a few fancy words up his sleeve?

After this thread though, I'm heading towards the latter!

Ewan, help us out here dude! ;)

« Reply #121 on: October 08, 2009, 08:57:18 pm »
ftp, how many poles do you have?  ;D

Dunno how many he has but I've got 7.
I had the poles I thought I wanted but I ended up getting shoulder and elbow trouble so had to lighten the load.  I've kept the heavy artillery as it is useful on certain, occasional jobs.
Also, I find the Ionics 2x2 is very useful at times.  Although the SLX is fine for most ground floor work as well as height, I do have some jobs where I need a very short pole as space is extremely restricted.

ftp

« Reply #122 on: October 08, 2009, 08:57:40 pm »
Well, I can't wait to see your £27 pole at seventy feet!

« Reply #123 on: October 08, 2009, 09:17:47 pm »
Im sure someone used to come on here spouting that Harris poles were for cowboys.....now who was that ???

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #124 on: October 09, 2009, 07:21:58 am »
Good for you Ewan, someone with an open mind, try the M16 if you want to go higher. I think You will like the Zensor though.

« Reply #125 on: October 09, 2009, 07:34:29 am »
Ewan....do you think you could post a bit on how you prepare the pole for use.
I am looking into it at the moment...mullarkeys are doing the ron thompson zensorflex 8m for £19.99....worth a try at that sort of price.
Dan ;)

AuRavelling79

« Reply #126 on: October 09, 2009, 08:14:33 am »
You get what you pay for. As an example I ride race bikes for fitness and a hoby. I have just bought a Trek 5.2 Madone,2009 model. The carbon fibre is high modulas carbon but boy oh boy the ride quality is light years ahead of any bike under £2000.00. Why the high cost for the bike? Its down to ROD costs,It took over 3 years to develop the bike and cost a fortune. I for one know I ride one of the best bikes ever made because of ROD and I have been riding bikes for over 40 years.
I been wfp for 4 years now and the choice and quality in poles is far better then 4 years ago, 4 years ago Ionics bought out their Ergo-light pole it cost for their 35' model £795.95 + VAT,6x6' sections,weight 3.8 kg, Ergo- Lite glass Fibre 35' 7x6' sections, weight 3.8 kg £498.95. Universal Glass fibre 34' 6x6' 7.65kg £312.95.

Now in cycling the golden rule is the lighter the bike or parts for the bike the more you pay and to get the very lightest costs you far more percentage  wise then heavier parts or heavier bikes.
Now Compare the prices for the 35' pole from 4 years ago to the Slx 35'pole:- £490.00,7 sections, 1995g. Thats £300.00 cheaper BUt half the weight plus its shorter in length and is also smaller in the handle diamater.Its a bargin in real money terms,

if it was a racing bike youwould be paying a small fortune. Now back to the Trek bike the 2009 model is the same as the 2008 model other then its colour but the price went up £200.00. the 2010 bike is exactly the same other then colour the price as incresed another £500.00.So in 2 yeras its gone up £700.00.Now compare the slx in comparision its a steal for the money and the wear and tear it will save on your body is worth the cost.I for one appreciate the efforts people like Alex put into the industry and the benefical effects we get as a result.

You get what you pay for.

Neil

I don't think the racing bike analogy fits Neil - not for your (non professional racing) usage anyway. You say you ride for fitness and as a hobby and frankly the weight saving of a £500/£600 Specialized Allez (double) over a Halfords hack will save you several kg and make a big difference in speed/performance.

But the difference between that Allez and a £2000 racer will save what? A kg? And as you get up to £5000 you might get another kg? You might as well lose the weight off of yourself and clothing before worrying about the incremental differences of campag versus shimano, carbon fibre vs ali or titanium.

Any improvement in your performance will likely be psychological and due to feeling good about your choice of bike IMO. It ain't about the bike, it's about the rider!  ;)

(If you're trying to beat 30 miles in an hour then I agree that every gram counts - but at 20/25 mph not so much...)

Back to poles - the law of diminishing returns applies and the SL-X say, is a good all rounder at it's price but any less weight and retaining robustness (for a higher price) will not IMO make much difference to the average user.
It's a game of three halves!

« Reply #127 on: October 09, 2009, 08:24:07 am »
Im sure someone used to come on here spouting that Harris poles were for cowboys.....now who was that ???

I think I have said that about both the Harris pole & Fishing poles.

Since I made those comments, I thought it only fair to take listen to the positive comments others said about them and try them myself. So I brought a Harris pole first tried that, and now recently brought 8m fishing pole zensorflex which I will soon try.

I knew someone had, wasnt sure who, cheers Ewan, that must make you a cowboy then?   ;D

matt

« Reply #128 on: October 09, 2009, 09:32:43 am »
Thanks Jeff, I got the Zensorflex a few weeks ago, first impressions are (hate to admit this) but I am looking forward to trying it out.

use it with a open mind and you will notice the weight factor is a massive plus

« Reply #129 on: October 09, 2009, 10:01:08 am »
Well when I try these poles out I do where a Stetson hat, (made from straw not leather.) I have also noticed when I hold these converted wfp poles my legs bow and I say Yeeeehaaaa a lot, are there any more side affects to surface Matt when using these poles?  ;D

Dan, I will follow the guide on the wfp diy website showing you how to convert the pole. If you ask, someone will put a link up for you.

Just don't try eating beans á lá "Blazing Saddles".

matt

« Reply #130 on: October 09, 2009, 12:46:48 pm »

Dan, I will follow the guide on the wfp diy website showing you how to convert the pole. If you ask, someone will put a link up for you.

http://diywfpole.webs.com/

OR

http://wfpole.110mb.com/

OR

http://wfpole2.110mb.com

watch it ewan, you might have to admit that i sometimes help others on here  ;D ;D

« Reply #131 on: October 09, 2009, 01:09:48 pm »
Well when I try these poles out I do where a Stetson hat, (made from straw not leather.) I have also noticed when I hold these converted wfp poles my legs bow and I say Yeeeehaaaa a lot, are there any more side affects to surface Matt when using these poles?  ;D

Yes, you'll find yourself wearing a checkered shirt before long, eating beans and singing Oklahoma without even knowing you're doing it  ;)