Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

ftp

Re: pole costs
« Reply #60 on: October 07, 2009, 07:03:09 pm »
What clamped carbon pole do you use Ewan?

ftp

« Reply #61 on: October 07, 2009, 07:08:26 pm »
The way I read it Alex said his prices couldn't come down.
Why twist things around Ewan? Do you just like arguing or what?

dd

« Reply #62 on: October 07, 2009, 07:24:13 pm »
Will you guys not take Ewan quite so seriously. I am convinced he just likes winding people up (even if he does it sub-consciously).

And NO, he will not tell you which pole he uses, he has been asked several times, including by me -  and it is a closely guarded secret!

Wishing you well Ewan.

Regards dd

ftp

« Reply #63 on: October 07, 2009, 07:41:34 pm »
Yep, you just like arguing.

ftp

« Reply #64 on: October 07, 2009, 07:54:21 pm »
It was a simple question Ewan - you have a pole that can be collapsed in less than three seconds so I asked which pole you used. Why be so evasive?
Your Quote:

I can easily lower a clamped pole from third floor to ground floor windows in less than 3 seconds and be cleaning the windows.

And Alex's quote was: Currently we make a larger profit margin on most of our fibre glass Exel poles we sell than our Carbon Fibre ranges. If anything I can only see a price increase happening with our carbon fibre products rather than a reduction

« Reply #65 on: October 07, 2009, 07:57:52 pm »
He's gone off to do his rounds. The 8 o'clock round has to be done, then he can tick the box and settle down for another 2 hours in front of his monitor

Gaby P.

« Reply #66 on: October 07, 2009, 08:10:00 pm »
He's gone off to do his rounds. The 8 o'clock round has to be done, then he can tick the box and settle down for another 2 hours in front of his monitor

;D
Some squirrel has set off the fence alarm.

ftp

« Reply #67 on: October 07, 2009, 08:14:12 pm »
Not too bright are you Ewan? I was discussing prices - you tried to say that Alex was agreeing with you that prices could come down whereas he was saying as far as he was concerned his brand was more likely to go up. A childish comment? Hardly.

I asked what pole you used? Another childish comment? Hardly.

What's wrong with you sonny?

« Reply #68 on: October 07, 2009, 08:14:52 pm »

;D
Some squirrel has set off the fence alarm.

Probably the same squirrel as the other night.  :'(

geefree

« Reply #69 on: October 07, 2009, 08:21:58 pm »
I think in any business you have to have the best mark up you can get away with, competition has a heck of a lot to do with this.

When there is little competition you can get away with more,

regardless of the "costs to make"  posts....

At the moment there is little competition within the wfp industry.

Why dont some of the larger manufacturer of water fed poles expand to lots of different areas of the country?
even open outlets where you can walk around and buy ?

That may help us, and stop more competition doing it.

If i could afford i would certainly have outlets in major towns, selling the lot.

We must be the only average workforce to have to buy our "tools"  via mail order only / internet.

Unless you are lucky enough to live near the few manufacturers.

matt

« Reply #70 on: October 07, 2009, 08:22:17 pm »
now where is that " do not feed the trolls " pic  ?? ?

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #71 on: October 07, 2009, 08:31:18 pm »
I think in any business you have to have the best mark up you can get away with, competition has a heck of a lot to do with this.

When there is little competition you can get away with more,

regardless of the "costs to make"  posts....

At the moment there is little competition within the wfp industry.

Why dont some of the larger manufacturer of water fed poles expand to lots of different areas of the country?
even open outlets where you can walk around and buy ?

That may help us, and stop more competition doing it.

If i could afford i would certainly have outlets in major towns, selling the lot.

We must be the only average workforce to have to buy our "tools"  via mail order only / internet.

Unless you are lucky enough to live near the few manufacturers.

How big do you think the market is?  This would only work if water fed poles could be sold to the majority of the population. If we were selling decorating poles then it would make sense to have a B&Q type outlet in every major town.  However, the target market in every major town may only be 50 people.  This would never support retail overheads.

macmac

« Reply #72 on: October 07, 2009, 08:32:22 pm »
Well, I've just read this WHOLE topic & it's quite clear, the only one who doesn't understand is Ewan! ::)

I ain't got nowt else to comment & ain't getting dragged in to this baby! ;D

BUT, like said, it is VERY clear, the one lacking that is! ;)

« Reply #73 on: October 07, 2009, 08:34:28 pm »
I agree with gazzasp8.

It's very good of alex to be so frank with us and let us into his mindset. I have to disagree with a couple of his comments;about making more on xtels than supalites.

He supplies himself and probably at the same or similar price he supplies the other suppliers, but as a manufacturer he would also be making a profit.What is less easy to factor is the developement costs and any on going product recall type costs (supplying new cam levers etc).

Niggles aside i am very pleased with my slx's and my supalite.This thread was started by a newbie asking why carbon wfp are so expensive.There have been some good answers, but the trend is that all the experienced guys have one mainly because they make the work easier.

« Reply #74 on: October 07, 2009, 08:41:18 pm »
now where is that " do not feed the trolls " pic  ?? ?

;)

ftp

« Reply #75 on: October 07, 2009, 08:50:42 pm »
When the first SLX came out Gardiners could easily have added £100 to the price of the twenty five foot pole, still been competitive and still sold them demand was so high.
What price then Ewan do you think carbon telescopic poles should be selling for?

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #76 on: October 07, 2009, 08:51:47 pm »
I personally would pay more money for a stronger and stiffer 60 ft pole.

I have 3 supalite 2 poles, which  take a great deal of abuse as Alex will testify.

I have recently used them at over 84 ft and wouldn't mind paying more if the pole was just as light or nearly as light, but slightly stiffer and didnt break or chip as easily as they do.

I realise for what I want it is going to cost me, but on the other hand it will also cost my competition more, which they are not always be prepared to pay for.

If they were too cheap then I would lose my competative edge, because then every one else could afford one.

Alex

Are there any developments to improve the Sl2

Dave

macmac

« Reply #77 on: October 07, 2009, 09:04:25 pm »
I am happy to pay the price of an slx & sl2. I & others with brains which function in a normal manner can understand & appreciate the investment, effort & risk involved with their creation, manufacture & marketing. They make their cut & we get better tools to make our life easier, more profitable etc.

There are cheaper options for those who can't see this & are happy to work with crap!

Accept it, move onwards & upwards. ;)

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #78 on: October 07, 2009, 09:04:58 pm »
I personally would pay more money for a stronger and stiffer 60 ft pole.

I have 3 supalite 2 poles, which  take a great deal of abuse as Alex will testify.

I have recently used them at over 84 ft and wouldn't mind paying more if the pole was just as light or nearly as light, but slightly stiffer and didnt break or chip as easily as they do.

I realise for what I want it is going to cost me, but on the other hand it will also cost my competition more, which they are not always be prepared to pay for.

If they were too cheap then I would lose my competative edge, because then every one else could afford one.

Alex

Are there any developments to improve the Sl2

Dave

How many sections did you get up to in the end Dave and have you finished the job yet?  There will be further developments for the SL2 but not until next year.  There is also a possibility of an SL3 which may or may not run parallel to the SL2 in the product range.  The developments on the SL2 will not affect the carbon content at all and indeed not change the sections at all but will consist of fitment changes which will easily be retro-fitted for anyone who currently uses the SL2.  The development of an SL3 is still undecided.  We have two separate designs which will need further testing and development.  

It will be very hard to beat the weight and rigidity of the SL2 as it currently is the stiffest, lightest modular pole in the world (not exaggerating!).  An SL3 would offer a different solution for a different market but would probably be slightly heavier.

macmac

« Reply #79 on: October 07, 2009, 09:12:24 pm »
Who in their right mind would want a 70ft telescopic?

Where do you get £2500 from? ???