This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Smudger

Re: pole costs
« Reply #80 on: October 07, 2009, 09:21:38 pm »
Ahhh -  the light dawns

Never argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience

macmac

« Reply #81 on: October 07, 2009, 09:24:33 pm »
Who in their right mind would want a 70ft telescopic?

Where do you get £2500 from? ???

Facelift do one £2k plus vat, I know what you are going to say but I’ve never used a modular.

I have only just brought a zensor flex 8m pole which I have not yet had a chance to male into a wfp.(just for fun mind to shut some of you up)

Dude, don't go telescopic at those heights. SL2 approx £800 for what you need, be easier to use too!

ftp

« Reply #82 on: October 07, 2009, 09:25:49 pm »
So you buy a 60' S2 and two spare sections - less than £1000

Not too bright are you Ewan?

« Reply #83 on: October 07, 2009, 09:26:59 pm »
You can hire mine Ewan.

macmac

« Reply #84 on: October 07, 2009, 09:29:04 pm »
I've got a 44ft facelift & trust me, I wouldn't want it to be 45ft!!!!!!

I know the new F1 carbon is supposed to be better but come'on, you can't be serious?

A modular is the only option for what you need!

You could keep it a secret that you took advice from me too! ;)

ftp

« Reply #85 on: October 07, 2009, 09:30:19 pm »
Borrow mine - they are difficult to use though - you have to move them up and down. I doubt you would understand it Ewan.
It's from Gardiners too - sorry.

macmac

« Reply #86 on: October 07, 2009, 09:32:31 pm »
Borrow mine - they are difficult to use though - you have to move them up and down. I doubt you would understand it Ewan.
It's from Gardiners too - sorry.

The joints all freshly lubed with cyanide! ;D ;D ;D

Smudger

« Reply #87 on: October 07, 2009, 09:34:30 pm »
macmac   ;D ;D ;D
Never argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience

« Reply #88 on: October 07, 2009, 09:36:15 pm »
The joints all freshly lubed with cyanide! ;D ;D ;D

He's being naughty now  ;D

Anyway Ewan, if you want a pole for a day or two email me

matt@oakleywindowcleaning.co.uk

Sure we can come to some sort of arrangement.

ftp

« Reply #89 on: October 07, 2009, 09:36:53 pm »
Just as long as it reaches the overhead power cables is all that matters.

matt

« Reply #90 on: October 07, 2009, 09:43:21 pm »
When the first SLX came out Gardiners could easily have added £100 to the price of the twenty five foot pole, still been competitive and still sold them demand was so high.
What price then Ewan do you think carbon telescopic poles should be selling for?

I suppose my gripe is I need one of those 70ft plus poles, but I am finding it hard to justify the price tag of nearly £2,500, so far the customer has agreed to pay for the pole for the work to be done, but there’s no cash profit, it’s a one off job and I will be stuck with a pole I no longer need. With regards to this pole £1,500 would have been OK. Is it possible to have a 70ft plus telescopic pole for that price?

i have a 50 ft job to do, i need 2 more sections for my pole, i wouldnt dream of asking / letting the customer pay for it, just not professional, infact you have just made yourself look really tinpot

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #91 on: October 07, 2009, 09:48:20 pm »
When the first SLX came out Gardiners could easily have added £100 to the price of the twenty five foot pole, still been competitive and still sold them demand was so high.
What price then Ewan do you think carbon telescopic poles should be selling for?

Talking for Gardiner’s again ftp, telling us all how they could have put an extra £100 on the pole, by the sounds of it with you he could have put an extra £200 on, Alex must be kicking himself LOL.

I am talking about all carbon fibre poles not just Gardiner’s poles, Alex has already said other manufactures could drop there price and still make a good profit.

I just said the poles are over priced, just wanted others views on this.

I suppose my gripe is I need one of those 70ft plus poles, but I am finding it hard to justify the price tag of nearly £2,500, so far the customer has agreed to pay for the pole for the work to be done, but there’s no cash profit, it’s a one off job and I will be stuck with a pole I no longer need. With regards to this pole £1,500 would have been OK. Is it possible to have a 70ft plus telescopic pole for that price?

With regards to the 70ft+ poles (Ionics 68ft actual length), it is possible that we may in the future produce a 69ft telescopic Super-Max pole (actual length, reach 73ft).  If we were to do this it would have to be made of high modulus carbon fibre similar to our SL2 but of thicker wall structure.  If we were to bring this to market I would need to sell it for £1600 +VAT.  Due to the fact that this would be an 11 section pole (a world first, the current Super-Max47 holds the record with 10 sections), the closed length would still be fairly manageable.  Whilst a Super-Lite would be considerably lighter to work with at these heights, I realize that sometimes telescopic is important.  It's worth remembering though that with a lot of telescopic poles at this length, the clamps are so high up that you might as well be working with a modular for convenience.

wizard

« Reply #92 on: October 07, 2009, 09:50:45 pm »
 I think it’s about time many of the so called professional people allow Ewen some slack as the question he asks it a normal customer question, which we all need to ask in these time. Our crusty ask us from time to time to justify our prices. I think these need to be asked in these times and I sure Alex can cope the heat it might create. I also think to hint of brainless or normal thinking in the form of a hint is unfair to Ewen as he asks the question we do not have the balls to ask. I am not saying his right or wrong, but we need to allow this form of debate it’s healthy. Thanks Ewe you stick to your guns mate.

macmac

« Reply #93 on: October 07, 2009, 10:29:37 pm »
I think it’s about time many of the so called professional people allow Ewen some slack as the question he asks it a normal customer question, which we all need to ask in these time. Our crusty ask us from time to time to justify our prices. I think these need to be asked in these times and I sure Alex can cope the heat it might create. I also think to hint of brainless or normal thinking in the form of a hint is unfair to Ewen as he asks the question we do not have the balls to ask. I am not saying his right or wrong, but we need to allow this form of debate it’s healthy. Thanks Ewe you stick to your guns mate.

You been on the beer?

geefree

« Reply #94 on: October 07, 2009, 11:45:51 pm »
I think in any business you have to have the best mark up you can get away with, competition has a heck of a lot to do with this.

When there is little competition you can get away with more,

regardless of the "costs to make"  posts....

At the moment there is little competition within the wfp industry.

Why dont some of the larger manufacturer of water fed poles expand to lots of different areas of the country?
even open outlets where you can walk around and buy ?

That may help us, and stop more competition doing it.

If i could afford i would certainly have outlets in major towns, selling the lot.

We must be the only average workforce to have to buy our "tools"  via mail order only / internet.

Unless you are lucky enough to live near the few manufacturers.

How big do you think the market is? This would only work if water fed poles could be sold to the majority of the population. If we were selling decorating poles then it would make sense to have a B&Q type outlet in every major town. However, the target market in every major town may only be 50 people. This would never support retail overheads.

the market will be large enough one day,..hence move into outlets early , before someone acts as agents in cleaning suppy outlets, ....its worth a try,... you have already said you could easily mark it up anothert £100...

just another option.

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #95 on: October 08, 2009, 07:40:46 am »
I think in any business you have to have the best mark up you can get away with, competition has a heck of a lot to do with this.

When there is little competition you can get away with more,

regardless of the "costs to make"  posts....

At the moment there is little competition within the wfp industry.

Why dont some of the larger manufacturer of water fed poles expand to lots of different areas of the country?
even open outlets where you can walk around and buy ?

That may help us, and stop more competition doing it.

If i could afford i would certainly have outlets in major towns, selling the lot.

We must be the only average workforce to have to buy our "tools"  via mail order only / internet.

Unless you are lucky enough to live near the few manufacturers.

How big do you think the market is? This would only work if water fed poles could be sold to the majority of the population. If we were selling decorating poles then it would make sense to have a B&Q type outlet in every major town. However, the target market in every major town may only be 50 people. This would never support retail overheads.

the market will be large enough one day,..hence move into outlets early , before someone acts as agents in cleaning suppy outlets, ....its worth a try,... you have already said you could easily mark it up anothert £100...

just another option.

Not my words   :).

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #96 on: October 08, 2009, 08:25:00 am »
Alex

We had 14 sections in total on the pole, at this height it became a bit bendy and really slow and hard work.

I lost all notion that it was really stiff and strong at lower heights, maybe I found its "real" useable working height.

I maybe could have used another section or 2 but that would of been the absolute max to be of any use.

« Reply #97 on: October 08, 2009, 08:47:55 am »
Dave at those heights.....isnt it difficult to get any pressure transfered from the brush-head to the glass?

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #98 on: October 08, 2009, 09:03:30 am »
Matt the whole pole wants to fall into the wall, so all the weight is leaning that way.

It's all down to how much you scrub and rinse, slow and steady is the game, I use a flocked vikan at that height, I dont just leave it to chance.

In fact the windows at 6 storey came cleaner than all the ones below the 4th floor, I learnt i spent twice as long on windows above the 4th floor because of the slower movements, so it is all down to the time on the glass.

« Reply #99 on: October 08, 2009, 09:10:36 am »
Interesting, cheers.