This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

luther1

Re: pole costs
« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2009, 07:30:00 pm »
What supplier was i picking on? I have 3 different makes of vans, Facelift and Gardiner poles,diy and Ionics systems. If you re-read my post i was making a relevent point as to why supplies shouldn't reduce their prices.

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2009, 07:31:00 pm »
Ewan, I doubt you have even seen a Gardiners pole let alone used one. If you had done your googling properly you would find out that Gardiners already offer the best value carbon poles on the market so really I think you are picking on the wrong guy.
I would doubt very much that carbon is going to reduce in price in the foreseeable future - in fact the Sl2sections have shot up in price over the last year. People have already said if you don't want to spend the money then don't buy one it's as simple as that. If the demand wasn't there then Gardiners would stop making them as would everyone else who supplies the market.

You’re hardly the person to listen to on this ftp, what you called yourself “A Gardiner’s snob” that says it all really. Maybe if you try a few other poles you will be able to make comparisons, but I doubt even then if you will be able to be objective on any pole.

I see Alex hasn’t got round to answering this basic question below, but then again he did mention prices of his pole will more than likely go up in the future, which you have already taken onboard without question.

Alex I’m not entirely convinced that carbon fibre pole prices cannot be reduced, referring to all manufacturers and not just your poles. Being a manufacturer can you tell me why or solid reasons for the current asking prices of these poles?

I am sure that some retailers could reduce their prices and still make a healthy profit. Speaking for our firm, if we were to reduce the % margin on our Carbon poles we might as well stop selling them as they would actually be costing us money, by the time you factored in the substantial retail costs we have. Carbon is very expensive and there is nothing that we or any others can do about it. A % margin has to be added on top of this to cover business expenses and provide a profit for those running the business.

This year has been extremely busy and productive for us in the firm, but the directors of the firm have made no profit at all this year, because of the investments we have been making. This is not trying to say that we are 'hard done by' at all, just that it can be very costly bringing out new products and profit is often the last thing on our minds whilst doing so.

Sean Dyer

« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2009, 07:34:51 pm »
What supplier was i picking on? I have 3 different makes of vans, Facelift and Gardiner poles,diy and Ionics systems. If you re-read my post i was making a relevent point as to why supplies shouldn't reduce their prices.

Not you bud :)

meant to quote ewan :)

sorry

luther1

« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2009, 07:36:45 pm »
Phew,i didn't want to upset anyone,i was just trying to be impartial!

You meant Ewan didn't you,bless him. :)

pingu

« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2009, 07:40:41 pm »
Alex don't rise to this.. I do have a couple of niggles with the MK3 SL-X but thats it...I do not think you need to justify yourself or indeed your business.

If I wish to buy your product then ok..if I want to discuss any issues with that pole on here fine..but I and people like me do not need to know about the workings of YOUR business.

I write this with respect Alex and in no way is this a 'pop' more support than anything.

Dave.

concept

« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2009, 07:43:37 pm »
Alex don't rise to this.. I do have a couple of niggles with the MK3 SL-X but thats it...I do not think you need to justify yourself or indeed your business.

If I wish to buy your product then ok..if I want to discuss any issues with that pole on here fine..but I and people like me do not need to know about the workings of YOUR business.

Respectfully
Dave.

As i said, I was only asking about the relative prices, didn't want it to turn into a bitch fest!!

::)

Mike #1

« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2009, 07:56:40 pm »
alex's  is possibly the smallest pole manufacturing company in the uk producing the best poles and at a good price great praise to alex and co,  quality products at quality prices

Sean Dyer

« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2009, 08:05:34 pm »
EWAN

its past bed time, mummy is calling :)

Archer

« Reply #48 on: October 06, 2009, 08:10:45 pm »

I can hear her shouting  :D

Window Washers

« Reply #49 on: October 06, 2009, 08:18:21 pm »

I write this with respect Alex and in no way is this a 'pop' more support than anything.

Dave.
If that was reference to my post it was supporting and not as I said aimed at Alex.

I justify myself to my wife and my aqccountant (she is worse than my wife for nagging)

p
PRICES WILL COME DOWN i WOULD BET MONEY ON IT, JUST A TIME FACTOR....
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #50 on: October 06, 2009, 08:26:14 pm »
One pint of stillage Bass they wont come down  ???

neil100

« Reply #51 on: October 06, 2009, 08:33:54 pm »
You get what you pay for. As an example I ride race bikes for fitness and a hoby. I have just bought a Trek 5.2 Madone,2009 model. The carbon fibre is high modulas carbon but boy oh boy the ride quality is light years ahead of any bike under £2000.00. Why the high cost for the bike? Its down to ROD costs,It took over 3 years to develop the bike and cost a fortune. I for one know I ride one of the best bikes ever made because of ROD and I have been riding bikes for over 40 years.

I been wfp for 4 years now and the choice and quality in poles is far better then 4 years ago, 4 years ago Ionics bought out their Ergo-light pole it cost for their 35' model £795.95 + VAT,6x6' sections,weight 3.8 kg, Ergo- Lite glass Fibre 35' 7x6' sections, weight 3.8 kg £498.95. Universal Glass fibre 34' 6x6' 7.65kg £312.95.

Now in cycling the golden rule is the lighter the bike or parts for the bike the more you pay and to get the very lightest costs you far more percentage  wise then heavier parts or heavier bikes.
Now Compare the prices for the 35' pole from 4 years ago to the Slx 35'pole:- £490.00,7 sections, 1995g. Thats £300.00 cheaper BUt half the weight plus its shorter in length and is also smaller in the handle diamater.Its a bargin in real money terms,

if it was a racing bike youwould be paying a small fortune. Now back to the Trek bike the 2009 model is the same as the 2008 model other then its colour but the price went up £200.00. the 2010 bike is exactly the same other then colour the price as incresed another £500.00.So in 2 yeras its gone up £700.00.Now compare the slx in comparision its a steal for the money and the wear and tear it will save on your body is worth the cost.I for one appreciate the efforts people like Alex put into the industry and the benefical effects we get as a result.

You get what you pay for.

Neil

ftp

« Reply #52 on: October 06, 2009, 08:35:07 pm »
Quote:
'You’re hardly the person to listen to on this ftp, what you called yourself “A Gardiner’s snob” that says it all really. Maybe if you try a few other poles you will be able to make comparisons, but I doubt even then if you will be able to be objective on any pole.'

Well, there's a good reason for this: Gardiners make the products that I want/need at a reasonable price in my opinion. If there was an alternative in quality and price then it's quite likely I would also look at that. I looked seriously at Facelift carbon poles some time ago - they were more expensive by a long way and too long when collapsed. I've had cheaper glassfibre poles and they were dreadful and wore out in weeks rather than months. I've also had carbon carp poles - brilliant but far too fragile for me.

concept

« Reply #53 on: October 06, 2009, 08:36:19 pm »

do you have a big bushy beard?

Window Washers

« Reply #54 on: October 06, 2009, 08:36:27 pm »
I'm not betting you Jeff, you a hussler  ;D face like butter would not melt but I have met you before at windex and know different lol  ;)
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

bobby p

« Reply #55 on: October 06, 2009, 09:14:42 pm »
where are these poles made / is it in this country /   i mean where is the origin ?  i was talking to a chinese guy who exports garden tractors and he got excited when he thought i might want a wfp of china make - seems theyv got em over there

ftp

« Reply #56 on: October 06, 2009, 09:35:48 pm »
I expect they use bamboo over there?

bobby p

« Reply #57 on: October 06, 2009, 09:42:14 pm »
bamboo, hey thats a thought !   ;D         this chinese guy really was desperate to sell, like a yellow version of DEL BOY  , and in no time at all he had found a pole factory.  now iv no need for a pole of any sort, but it just shows the yellow perils are at making them 

dai

« Reply #58 on: October 06, 2009, 10:35:41 pm »
There is no keener DIY enthusiast than me. I am constantly trying one thing or another, I jet my own brushes and try out different  ones, make my own swivels, and use the Harris pole for 95% of my work.
 I did lash out over £800 for the SL2, and consider it money very well spent.
Carbon is expensive, but a hell of a lot cheaper than titanium.
Anyone like to have a go at making a titanium pole?

Smudger

« Reply #59 on: October 07, 2009, 05:54:30 pm »
Ewan -  I am not defending the pole manufacturers but i think you lack the experience to understand their position

I personally feel a carbon pole price is reasonable, and will hopefully be getting one soon -  there is far more than material cost involved ( as already stated )
If you find the price to high     a,  dont buy one      b, try to make your own - see if you can and the cost!

Also when you buy a bag of chips at £1.00   moan to the shop owner that you only got 10p's worth of potatoe?

And as your squeegee and bucket cost you a tenner and you have 300 cust'y now only going to charge 30p a clean ?

i think not...!

I have been in manufacturing for 25 years and basically the general public just want cheap cheap cheap - so we have lost our finest engineering companies to china and india -

At least Alex is providing a quality item

Darran

Never argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience