Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Mike Halliday

employing a drinker
« on: October 05, 2009, 09:25:18 am »
I have an employee who 'enjoys' a drink, but again today didn't turn in, got a text at 7am saying "having problem with Karen ( his girlfriend ) can't come in today but will see you tomorrow" this is happening once or twice a month

he is a fantastic worker who has worked in carpet cleaning for 10yrs, even having his own company for a year ( truckmounted)

we work a 6 day week. I just don't know what to do. I don't want to sack him, I need him as I am so busy..... but its just the Mondays,

I was thinking of just letting him have the Mondays off every week and booking an easy day by myself.

any one had similer problems?

Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

from edge2edge

Re: employing a drinker
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 10:10:04 am »
Morning Mike i think you have already solved the problem with him not working mondays suggestion.We all accomodate diferent things in people for different reasons and if this guy is really good then just factor it in as you say.I like a drink and just dont book anything in for the next morning .Regards Alan(swindon)

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 10:19:26 am »
Admittedly, I used to be the problem, getting hammered on occasional Sunday afternoons and phoning in sick on Monday mornings... What would have stopped me? If someone actually warned me that what I was doing wasn't good enough, I would have probably stopped the Sunday sessions altogether.

I think you just need to let him know you are the boss and it's not on! Stopping him working Mondays might be just the ticket actually..... As long as his drinking pattern doesn't shift a day forward too!

My step dad has just been fired as he was a commercial tyre fitter who obviously had to drive everywhere. He was a bit more than tipsy before he went to work apparently and his employers seemed to know but turned a blind eye cos he was such a good worker. He got caught (Second time!) gulping a can of Kestrel Super Strength in Tesco's car park, sat in his work van at 11 in the morning! ::) Banned again for a second time in 10 years.

Makes you think eh?

Griffus

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 10:48:23 am »
Mike, your best bet is to introduce an absence management system and manage as part of your disciplinary procedure.

You suggestion of letting him off Mondays is an option, especially as he works six days a week. The danger here though is that this may be interpreted as a disciplinary measure taken without following a process.

The other potential issue is what will you do when he starts doing the same on Tuesday mornings?

Past experience has taught me always to address issues. This doesn't have to mean official warning etc. but it does mean you discuss the problem, what needs to be done / can be done and in what timesacle. Also record all discussions, get the notes signed by the employee and keep on their file.

May seem a bit much but in these days it is better to be safe than sorry.

robert meldrum

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2009, 11:35:43 am »
It's a real bitch and there's only one long term answer. As a gent pointed out to me when I remarked on what a fantastic worker he had in xxxx

Yes, he sighed but that's no good if he's not here.

Problem with giving him Monday off is his Monday might become his Sunday

Mike Halliday

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2009, 11:53:08 am »
I've talked  to him time & time again about his problem telling him its not acceptable and he is so apologetic, but he says he can't drink in moderation once he has a drink it takes over him and he can't stop. he is a very weak willed person (that's why his own business failed)

I am worried that if I give him the Mondays he will just keep drinking and not turn up Tuesday.

I think  I'll make Mondays an easy day, if he turns in we can spend the spare time leafleting, if he doesn't then It won't be too bad. but I was planning on a second van but if he's always on the verge of me sacking him its a bit risky

mike

derek west

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2009, 12:16:58 pm »
i think its very hard to give advice when we know nothing about your relationship with this guy, or if has an officiall contract of work etc...
i'm just in the process of taking on a good friend part time, well 15 half hours a week. luckily he doesn't drink or smoke or take drugs but he plays football regularly and only last week nearly broke his leg, very worrying for me once we put pen to paper and sign a contract of employment.

i think its really down to your gut feeling on this mike, like a lot have commented, would his monday stem on to his tuesday. probably, but i don't know him. its a toughy that only you can call.

i think sitting down and having a heart to heart or giving monday off is the only 2 options for keeping him. other than that, give him a warning and if he does it again, sack him and get some one else, its an employers market at the mo, so there'll be no shortage of offers.
derek

pss.. wrote this while you posted that so some of it might be irrelevant.

pps, just read your last post and the last paragraph says it all, time to get tough,  "final warning" your the boss mike.

derek

robert meldrum

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2009, 12:23:05 pm »
Another problem with this situation is the total lack of concern or loyalty which catches employers out.
We've " nursed "a few great / lovely / hard workers over the years and just last week another - who'd become a friend over the years- did'nt bother to turn up.
As usual, the first contact was indirect, but there was no concern about letting anyone down or possible loss of business to her employer.
It tends to harden your attitude towards the other employees or future employees.
At least on this occasion we're not facing 6 months of paying out sick pay to a skiver.
Derek
Have a VERY good look at employment law / ACAS before taking anyone on In this business I would only take someone on a self employed basis. Yes  you will have to pay out more but you can avoid other problems.

fenman

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2009, 12:35:55 pm »
Another consideration is if he works on a monday is he in a fit condition to operate machinery or drive.
As we all know you can be over the limit the morning after.
As an employer you have a responsibility to ensure the safety of your employees and customers.
Worst case scenario:
He has an accident and then takes you to court for compensation.

" well your honour my boss knew I had a drink problem and that Mondays were hard for me but he still expected me to work and operate industrial equipment even though I may have been unfit due to my alchohol consumption the night before. I think he was more interested in making money than my safety."

Your insurance company will laugh at you.
Once solicitors get involved any friendship and a good employer/employee relationship will go out the window, all they care about is winning for their client and getting a nice fee and the courts love to take an employees side over us greedy employers.
Of course this may never happen but you are putting yourself at risk.

lesterM

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2009, 12:44:37 pm »
Yes . Insurance people will have a lovely time  keeping the money.

They will look for absenteeism as it is such a good indicator; they may ask why you ignored the situations and not sought counselling advice   ( its usually free)

A attendance based bonus sytem can also have a good effect on Monday sickness.
No Job Too Odd.
Dont Panic - let us do it for you.
Pure dealers since 1746

HQCS (John Kastrian)

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2009, 02:07:30 pm »
MAybe he could use the free time on a Monday to to seek help with his serious drink problem.
Anyone who cannot go without a drink is an alcoholic and an alcoholic does not necessarily have to drink everyday to have a serious problem,an alcoholic .
If you knowingly put an alcohoic in charge of your second van and he ended up killing himself or worse still some innocent bystander could you live with your conscience.
You have to take the position of employer and not friend and deal with this before it is too late,at the end of the day your business and reputation could suffer if an accident occurred and it was found he was under the influence,there is an old saying "mud sticks" and you  may find it very difficult to recover your good name.-John

derek west

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2009, 05:10:42 pm »
mike
how did the video day go? seen steves, really impressive.

derek

Mike Halliday

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2009, 05:24:51 pm »
Derek, it went really well, not finalised my video yet becuase I want an opening shot with my new van, which I was hoping to get done by the end of Sept, but it look like it will be done by this week so the video can be completed

derek west

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2009, 06:19:12 pm »
could of done with seeing it to get some tips, like how they got low down when steve was sebo'ing and the sebo was nearly hitting the camera, nice touch.
got a job in the morning then cleaning our suite, misses won't let me leave it any longer as its really dirty, "hell yeah" gonna video us cleaning it, might try a close up on the drymaster tool ;D
i'm still mithering the colleges to do a vid for me but not getting a reply, hey ho.
derek

brianbarber

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2009, 08:28:59 pm »
I think I would make the guy go self employed, you can pay a. Bit more but he gets paid for what he does.
If he don't come in.... No money. Simples !!

Mr B
If in doubt.....Leave it out !!

trouble

« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2009, 09:02:27 pm »
As somebody that likes a drink but also owns a company I say if you think he worth keeping do it or just get rid

Paul W Jones

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2009, 05:37:48 pm »
I worked in the building industry for 20 years and employed a decorator who I found out was an alcoholic.  He'd kept it hidden from me for a few years and I never suspected a thing.  The problem came when a homeowner told me that he'd been drinking on the job; the homeowner had also informed the Loss Adjuster who had employed us.  I found myself having to make excuses for him when it had been his fault but of course if you employ someone you have to carry the can.  People talk about things like this too so if you have someone who drinks 'to excess' working for you you might just become known for all the wrong reasons.  I stood by my decorator and told him not to drink on jobs or on the way to jobs again.  He did it again so I got rid.

Jim Gibbard

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2009, 08:50:36 pm »
I have an employee who 'enjoys' a drink, but again today didn't turn in, got a text at 7am saying "having problem with Karen ( his girlfriend ) can't come in today but will see you tomorrow" this is happening once or twice a month

he is a fantastic worker who has worked in carpet cleaning for 10yrs, even having his own company for a year ( truckmounted)

we work a 6 day week. I just don't know what to do. I don't want to sack him, I need him as I am so busy..... but its just the Mondays,

I was thinking of just letting him have the Mondays off every week and booking an easy day by myself.

any one had similer problems?

Mike,
No one in this world is perfect.  Everyone has their own little problems. 
The way I see it is like this:
This guy is a good worker and does a good job for you.  He is not drunk while working.  He has worked for you for some time and you appreciate his work.  He generally works 6 days a week.  The problem arises only occasionally.

Ask yourself how would you replace him quickly and with someone of his experience and ability?  Would you find someone else willing to work as hard 6 days a week.

If it was me, I would accept that people have to have a life away from a job.  At the end of the day, they don't have your commitment as a business owner and probably do not want it.  They prefer a simple life without aggravation.
They need a bit of space.

Book in work on Mondays that requires just one operator.  If he turns in, let him do it.  If he does not turn in, you do it .  That way, you would still have someone  working 6 days a week and you would not have the hassle of finding someone to fill his place, possibly having to train someone up to your standard.

After all Mike, if he goes occasionally go over the top drinking, it is after all, on his only day off of the week.

Jim

www.spic-n-span.co.uk
Cleaning is our Game - Excellence is our Aim !!!

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2009, 09:54:37 pm »
I think I agree with what Jim wrote.

Just don't let it get any worse and accommodate the Monday problem is better than on your tod.

Peter Dawson

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2009, 11:45:02 pm »
Hi Mike, I think you may be creating further problems for the future. Will the day off on the Monday become another drinking day. A good worker is only good if he is there. I think you need to use disciplinary procedures to protect yourself. It may shake him up to address his problem. Employment law is stacked with the employee. Unless you follow the guidlines early on you will have problems with any future dismisal, if his drinking creates other problems.
Regards
Peter
Beta Clean