This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Fieldsy

Understanding Chargers ??
« on: October 04, 2009, 03:58:52 pm »
Having been recommended to get this charger (thanks Russ  ;) )

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/ac70-12v-battery-charger/path/

Could someone explain how the charge time works??. For example if I get a 110ah battery, will it take 110/4 (above product charger rate) = 27.5hrs to charge from flat

...but if I got something like this, I could switch to 2 6 or 12 amp

http://www.caravan-components.co.uk/epages/BT2955.sf/?ObjectPath=/Shops/BT2955/Products/ACC004&ViewAction=ViewProductViaPortal&Locale=en_GB
therefore 110/12= 9hrs to fully charge.

also like the specs of this, but again still only 3.8amps, so nearly 29 hours to full charge !!!
http://www.towsure.com/product/13450-Automatic_Battery_Charger_12V_1.2-120Ah#largeimage

your advice/opinions please.
thanks
Fieldsy
If Carlsberg made window cleaners....I'd be one of them....lol

Fieldsy

Re: Understanding Chargers ??
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 11:15:26 pm »
Anyone please ?? ;D

jeff1

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 12:39:42 am »
The lower the charge rate in your battery (The flatter it is) the more amps it will pull from the charger, never be tempted to give a battery more amps than the battery will need to charge over night because the lead plates within the battery become hot and can buckle resulting in a battery who's life will be reduced by over half if not more.

The chargers in your links will all do the Job of correct charging and the chargers with intelligent charging is the one I would highly recommend, by using one of these you can put a battery on charge and go away on holiday and the charger will look after your battery so its fully charged on your return.

Never be tempted to boost charge a battery.

Fieldsy

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 10:18:26 am »
Thank you jeff,
so out of the above, which would you class as "intelligent charger" and best for my needs on a 110ah battery.

thanks again for your input......................................oh and are my maths correct?, battery ampage divided by charger ampage = hours to charge.

EZclean

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2009, 11:11:47 am »
get a charger
plug it in red light comes on
green light comes on its ready.

use your maths to work out the draw from the pump (eg. shurflo 100psi is around 7ah.) a 7ah battery would last an hour on full power in constant use. your unlikely to use a shurflo on full power when they put out 5-6ltr/m.

110ah would be around 16hrs on full power constant use. using half the power would halve the draw, but increase by a half the hrs it can run the pump.

you will get a full week from a 110ah, then charge it over the weekend.
EZclean - Cleaner Than Water

Fieldsy

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2009, 01:56:19 pm »
Thanks EZclean,

I intend getting the 100psi pump and 110ah, so if it lasts a week, that would be great........, thanks for the info. Yeah i know, switch on, charge, switch off, but there is so much talk on here about which charger it all becomes a bit too deep...lol.

One of the above would seem ok, but i do like the idea of the "intelligent" charger so that it can trickle charge if it gets left on...........so thats why I was trying to determine which one of the above would be the better option.

thanks again
Fieldsy