Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

TonyD

So close to a fall.......
« on: October 02, 2009, 09:39:35 pm »
Yesterday, I was cleaning frames on a window that I'd normally do with my pole (trad), but this job was a deep clean all round so had to get face to face with it.  Window over large porch roof, had the ladder at an angle at the limit of "safe" on the new type of pressed effect shiny sealed concrete drive.
I had a ladder matt under but it was wet and very slippery, working away when............. :o .........away goes the ladder with me and my feet through the rungs, as my feet started to leave the roof (happened so fast ! ) I thought - this isn't going to be a happy ending - THEN, my toes caught it the gutter ! and stopped me, breaking a gutter clip as it held my weight, but JUST stopping somehow.   :-[

I scrambled along the steep porch roof and dragged my ladders to a safe vertical edge. 

Gave me a right scare though, SO close to a very nasty ending, makes me want wfp set up as soon as....

To any other newbies like me out there, DON'T DO IT if you feel like you're testing your luck, I tested it and nearly failed.

Sean Dyer

Re: So close to a fall.......
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 09:56:25 pm »
I wouldnt even trust a ladder mat on that stuff, let alone at a crazy angle, glad your ok, sometimesyou get too confident and need something like that too make you a bit more cautious, i know i had a few

I once fell from over 20 foot from going up a ladder on polished pressed concrete, as i got to the top the ladder flew from under me, i landed on a bench below :( Managed to escape with a dead leg

windymiller

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 09:58:37 pm »
ive been cleaning 15 years trad and very rarely get those moments. You need spikes on your ladder and learn where to dig the spikes in to stop it from slipping.

Sean Dyer

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 10:04:12 pm »
I slipped on that concrete with spikes, if the surface is polished spikes will do nothing

poleman

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2009, 10:08:00 pm »
Been window cleaning 20 years and had 4 or 5 moments just like that! it could have taken my life!! but not now as I have a WFP and life is good  8)

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009, 10:11:57 pm »
ive been cleaning 15 years trad and very rarely get those moments. You need spikes on your ladder and learn where to dig the spikes in to stop it from slipping.

How can you dig spikes into pressed concrete?

Sean Dyer

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2009, 10:14:00 pm »

How can you dig spikes into pressed concrete?

exactly

You can try put it in the grooves but very dodgy and if it goes, say bye bye to your ankle bones

GWCS

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2009, 10:14:27 pm »
very reasons for WAHR

your ladder should be tie'd or stabilised etc at a 4:1 incline, anything else and your in trouble.

Least you got away with it.. learn from the mistakes, life is not worth it for a few extra quid.

Ste M

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2009, 10:17:17 pm »
the worst one i had was cleaning a 1st floor window, the ladder went from under me (think it was down to the angle or surface, or maybe both). I landed on the floor inbetween my ladders and was crouching, i waited for the pain but nothing, i then stood up and just carried on. I was shaking for a bit but its like riding a bike, you have to get straight back on.

The main surface i ignore is wet decking, i hate it. My WFP is hopefully going to take over all the dodgy angles from now on though ;D

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2009, 10:30:53 pm »
Laddermats are lethal, don't use them on anything but dry tarmac. If it's only a tiny bit wet, they go.

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2009, 10:35:45 pm »
When I had been window-cleaning for 2 weeks I tried to move my ladder.

I was up it at the time.

It didnt work.

I broke my leg and heel bone as a result of coming of.

wizard

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2009, 10:52:24 pm »
I to do not trust ladder mats they have to much movement.Two things i do have is 2 long spikes like 2 foot tent pegs they I will secure a ladder by planting them in soil and alowing the hook to catck the 2nd or first ring or I will use them with rope to secure side slip.The other I have is the vacume glass handles the glazers use to put onto glass window pane and secure with cord.I do have two of these and I can handle most dangers so far.

wizard

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2009, 10:52:42 pm »
I to do not trust ladder mats they have to much movement.Two things i do have is 2 long spikes like 2 foot tent pegs they I will secure a ladder by planting them in soil and alowing the hook to catck the 2nd or first ring or I will use them with rope to secure side slip.The other I have is the vacume glass handles the glazers use to put onto glass window pane and secure with cord.I do have two of these and I can handle most dangers so far.

Sean Dyer

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2009, 10:53:57 pm »
www.laddersalesdirect.co.uk/laddermate-p-301.html

These are best

Sky installers are made to use them

gr cleaning solutions

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2009, 10:57:32 pm »
im just guessing but could you not use your stand off at the bottom off your ladder in the same way as the ladder mate ?

dean123

« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2009, 11:07:43 pm »

I was up it at the time.

It didnt work.

lol

vision tech

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2009, 11:38:59 pm »
dean123,
What do you find funny about falling of a ladder?
I started out with nothing......I still have most of it.

rosskesava

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2009, 12:08:56 am »
This is obviously with the owners permission.

I have a bit of 3ft long 3" by 3" hardwood with 2 holes already in it and I use that as a template to drill 2 holes with a decent SDS battery drill. It takes seconds to drill a hole in concrete with a SDS drill. Then using rawplugs I screw the wood to the floor and use the bit of wood as a ladder stop.

The advantage is that the holes are there next time I clean the windows and generally you would not see the holes unless you really look for them.

I must stress that I will not take stupid risks with a ladder. This is for where I think the floor is a bit risky or the angle a little bit more than I would feel safe with.
Just chant..... Hare Krsna, Hare Krsna, Krsna Krsna, Hare Hare, Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare. It's beats chanting Tory Tory or Labour Labour.

LWC

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2009, 07:32:52 am »
Lucky escape mate, i climbed up over a slopping proch roof on a mossy drive, got to top and reached to window down the ladder went, my foot through the rung and bang on the floor, badly sprained my foot, couldnt walk for weeks. Still hurts sometimes now 5 years on!

My second fall i stepped onto a roof that was slippy and down i went...next day i went WFP.

Serisously look into WFP trad guys, im not saying its better or does a better job but the fact that you are safe is the most important thing. Say if you charge a £1 a window, and you fall off and break a leg or arm or do something worse...for a £1...is it worth it?

Paul_Rolfe

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2009, 07:50:02 am »

I was up it at the time.

It didnt work.

Get off it first usually works.