This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

simon knight

Might have a problem here, opinions please.
« on: October 01, 2009, 05:45:07 pm »

Oldish house with oldish secondary glazing. Customer wants secondary cleaned as well, both sides.

Had a bit of a struggle getting them out but for the life of me couldn't get them back in again (3 in all). Was there for ages and gave up. I reckon as I took them out the frames on three units must have dropped slightly.

Anyway they're not happy bunnies. I told them I'd have a think about it and get back to them.

Any ideas?

Roy Harding

Re: Might have a problem here, opinions please.
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 05:55:39 pm »
I have had them like that a couple of times, but managed to get them back in. ;D

Check  if they go in better at the left right or the middle, sometimes one side might have more room.

Roy

Sean Dyer

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 06:01:46 pm »
get a prop accro type in and try push up ??

simon knight

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 06:04:48 pm »
get a prop accro type in and try push up ??

...and in English please? ;D

kenaltobelli

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 06:09:16 pm »
this will teach you dont touch; i had a bloke try to get me to do them some people
will badger you to do things its a lesson to all on here the ones ive been doing were bad
never again.

elite mike

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 06:10:27 pm »
hi simon

i have one that i clean, if you take them out in sequence

then you have to put them in the same sequence, otherwise probs :'(

and they must be the right way round, or they will not slide or lock properly

good luck

mike

simon knight

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2009, 06:15:03 pm »
hi simon

good luck

mike

I think you've got it!  I'll go back on saturday...now if only I can remember in which order I took the f##kers out  ::)

Bloody hell...this is the 1st and last time. It's this sort of thing that just screws up yer entire week >:(

Mike_G

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2009, 06:17:23 pm »
Cant imagine all 3 units would drop at the same time. I do a few and always one window at a time and always remeber which one goes where (front back etc). I would guess you are not putting them back right. Top goes in first then lift and put bottom in. Are there any others there that you have not touched yet so you can see which way they are installed? This might give you an idea of which way they should be in. Hope this helps and good luck

simon knight

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2009, 06:26:00 pm »

I think that Elite Mike & G are right....I've not got the order right.

Cheers guys  :-*

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2009, 06:33:47 pm »
I'm always very careful to keep them the right way round or it can be so easy to get mixed up.
OK then.  Something that may or may not work to get them back in.  It's already been suggested to try each end in turn and slide them along as sometimes there might be a marginally wider gap at one end.
If that doesn't work, you might want to try the following:-   Normally I would slot the top end in and then try to wiggle the bottom end in after.  It's natural to try this with the bottom end in front of the runners while the top end is between the runners.  Instead of doing it like that, stand the bottom of the pane on the sill, push the top end into the runners, then try to wiggle the bottom end in from behing the runners.  Sometimes, this gives you a fraction more to work with as the backs of the runners may sometimes be marginally lower than the fronts.  I have actually done this before and it worked - just.  Not saying it will work for you but it is another option.

BTW.  Leave the swear box at home as you could end up skint  :)

simon knight

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2009, 06:36:07 pm »
I'm always very careful to keep them the right way round or it can be so easy to get mixed up.
OK then.  Something that may or may not work to get them back in.  It's already been suggested to try each end in turn and slide them along as sometimes there might be a marginally wider gap at one end.
If that doesn't work, you might want to try the following:-   Normally I would slot the top end in and then try to wiggle the bottom end in after.  It's natural to try this with the bottom end in front of the runners while the top end is between the runners.  Instead of doing it like that, stand the bottom of the pane on the sill, push the top end into the runners, then try to wiggle the bottom end in from behing the runners.  Sometimes, this gives you a fraction more to work with as the backs of the runners may sometimes be marginally lower than the fronts.  I have actually done this before and it worked - just.  Not saying it will work for you but it is another option.

BTW.  Leave the swear box at home as you could end up skint  :)

Cheers mate  ;D ;D

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2009, 06:36:30 pm »
Cant imagine all 3 units would drop at the same time. I do a few and always one window at a time and always remeber which one goes where (front back etc). I would guess you are not putting them back right. Top goes in first then lift and put bottom in. Are there any others there that you have not touched yet so you can see which way they are installed? This might give you an idea of which way they should be in. Hope this helps and good luck

When I take them out, I always lean them up against something in the same layout as when they were installed with the side that faces the gap facing me.  Then I clean and replace one at a time and clean, in situ,  the side that faces into the room.  Saves so much confusion.

ftp

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2009, 06:36:57 pm »
I have a similar property - absolute nightmare because someone else cleaned them before me and cocked the whole lot up. You can normally work it out with a bit of thought. Look for bevelled edges on the plastic suround and look for little locking tabs that need pressing in good luck.

Oh and the best bit is when you get them all back in then spot a smear on the one you can't possibly reach without taking them al back out  ;D

simon knight

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2009, 06:49:34 pm »

Thanks to all you guys...you're pukka geezers and the input is much appreciated.

It's fairly obvious now.  It's me being my usual inept self...ie: take 'em out but not thinking forwards as to which order to put 'em back in again...God if I had one more brain cell I'd be a plant ;D

martinsadie

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2009, 08:07:30 pm »
hi simon

good luck

mike
thats how i did it used to have 6 panes stood against her kitchen units

♠Winp®oClean♠

« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2009, 08:36:30 pm »
hi simon

good luck

mike

This gentleman is correct.