Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Archer

Trolley system, poles & water hire.......
« on: September 18, 2009, 09:05:38 pm »
Hi ,

quick question if anyone can help with this one,

I was asked today to hire out my trolley system, poles & provide them with 100ltr wate, to another cleaning company so they can clean some 3rd storey & difficult to reach windows.

What would you do , and if you were to charge them what would you charge for providing them, so they can carry out the work ?

Thanks,

Chris.

big J

Re: Trolley system, poles & water hire.......
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 09:18:35 pm »
be careful mate if it ios regular work why dont they buy their own? the flip side is if they are trads/cowboys they could well be crap. and you could follow up and show how it should be done. if you do go ahead ask for a hefty deposit plus a hire charge in casre your kit is damaged or worse
modern day methods ......tradtional values

Archer

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2009, 09:20:58 pm »

Thanks Big j,

i know the person well, but its his company that want to use them & hire them........they are a cleaning company - not window cleaners.
 ;)

big J

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 09:25:10 pm »
in that case offer to do the work for them in return for a percentage of the fee

s.hughes

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2009, 09:26:35 pm »
I would say "NO", I care about my equipment, I know others wouldnt.
Do you care that much when you hire a car?
Bet you care about your own car even if it is old

Archer

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2009, 09:32:05 pm »

Big j,

The thing is i dont want to do the work for them - as i am just about gtting through my work

As for my equipment - i look after my equipment pretty well

The poles & trolley i would hire to them, is just sitting in my garage doing nothing - the pole i would be letting them use is only a cheap thing anyway.

I also dont want to sell them as they come in handy on big jobs

big J

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2009, 09:38:26 pm »
fair enough id still ask for a deposit good business practise and say 40 quid hire

wire1078

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2009, 10:14:45 pm »
let him use for nothing

matt

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2009, 10:39:11 pm »
let him use for nothing

indeed

you say you know the person well, so what harm in doing him a favour

Sean Dyer

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2009, 10:54:51 pm »

Big j,

The thing is i dont want to do the work for them - as i am just about gtting through my work

As for my equipment - i look after my equipment pretty well

The poles & trolley i would hire to them, is just sitting in my garage doing nothing - the pole i would be letting them use is only a cheap thing anyway.

I also dont want to sell them as they come in handy on big jobs

£40 a day ?

mark dew

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2009, 11:38:16 pm »
If it is for the day, the goodwill generated by lending will outweigh any financial reward.
They might be useful to you in future and you can never have too many allies in business.

DREAM CLEAN

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2009, 11:20:35 am »
Hi

Let him have it for nothing, he will owe you and you can call that in 1 day

Nick

Archer

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2009, 01:25:16 pm »

1 thing i have learn't in business is not to do favours to friends !

He is only an employee & therefore if it was lent as a favour, the chances of me getting compensation IF it got damaged, would be pretty much nothing.

Therefore, i WILL charge an amount.

I NEVER expect any favours in business & expect nothing for free - I would rather pay my way..

As for certain clients i have - i look after them going that little bit extra, or taking them out to events, ie: Football , Boxing, Dinners = I PAY for their whole evening, the tickets, pictures etc, so i do look after them as they look after me with providing good work for me.

Looking at some of your answers, i CERTAINLY know that one of the replies would NEVER IN A MILLION SUNDAYS do something for nothing  ::) ::) ::) ::)
, so please give constructive advice as to what you would do, and saying that if it was YOU in my position & knowing how you operate, you'd probebly charge them £100 a day atleast, so i will be charging £40 - that is a fair price.

mark dew

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2009, 01:30:12 pm »
Well you did ask. I think your reasons mean you have made the right decision, though. 

Archer

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2009, 01:49:58 pm »

Mark,

i agree with your previous post in many respects, but in this case i'm going off experience but needed to ask

matt

« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2009, 03:50:06 pm »

1 thing i have learn't in business is not to do favours to friends !

He is only an employee & therefore if it was lent as a favour, the chances of me getting compensation IF it got damaged, would be pretty much nothing.

Therefore, i WILL charge an amount.

I NEVER expect any favours in business & expect nothing for free - I would rather pay my way..

As for certain clients i have - i look after them going that little bit extra, or taking them out to events, ie: Football , Boxing, Dinners = I PAY for their whole evening, the tickets, pictures etc, so i do look after them as they look after me with providing good work for me.

Looking at some of your answers, i CERTAINLY know that one of the replies would NEVER IN A MILLION SUNDAYS do something for nothing  ::) ::) ::) ::)
, so please give constructive advice as to what you would do, and saying that if it was YOU in my position & knowing how you operate, you'd probebly charge them £100 a day atleast, so i will be charging £40 - that is a fair price.

i said loan it for free, its good karma

you have said 40 quid, thats not worth the amount, its what 1 or 2 hours work, the good karma and feeling of helping some1 out is worth more than that to me

Archer

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2009, 04:26:52 pm »

OK MATT,

anychance you can lend me your car nextweek and fill it with petrol  ???

You'll get plenty of Karma out of that i reckon,

PRACTICE WHAT YOU PREACH my old son

Gordon Saunders

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2009, 05:11:24 pm »
My worry with hiring equipment out is insurance, not sure where you stand if he has an accident using your kit.

matt

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2009, 05:21:44 pm »

OK MATT,

anychance you can lend me your car nextweek and fill it with petrol  ???

You'll get plenty of Karma out of that i reckon,

PRACTICE WHAT YOU PREACH my old son

funny you should say that, a customer of mine wanted to clean the fascia's of his 2 shops in brighton, he asked me for a price and i gave him the price, it included a little more for a night in a hotel as i live too far away ( though i thought a weekend down the beach was a ok idea )

he said he couldnt afford the price and would i hire him the kit, as it was the weekend, i wouldnt be using it, so he had my unger 3 X 3M ali pole and brush and hose, told him to connect to a tap and away he went

did i charge him, nope

this was only 3 weeks ago

PRACTICE WHAT YOU PREACH, i do ;)

** i await the " you did a window cleaner out of a job replies ** which is rubbish as he wasnt going to pay any1 else anyway

Archer

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2009, 08:01:35 pm »

MATT,

YE YE YEEEEHHHH  ::) ::) ::) ::)