Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

mark_roberts

Re: Chem-Dry marketing
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2005, 10:28:27 pm »
£300,000 in Belfast would get you a 5 bedroom house and a double garage in a really nice area. 

We have a bit of catching up to do.

Mark

ABLECLEAN

« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2005, 12:31:37 am »
Someone mentioned their "Local" Chem-Dry franchise. Well I have "Six" on my patch, and their ads are next to each otherin the Yellow pages. If I had paid all that dosh for the franchise I would be pretty p***ed off at the ethics of the company. Has anyone else got that many in their area?

Big_Fish

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2005, 06:38:04 am »
Hi, It was me that mentioned our local franchise. There isn't one as far as I know in our town but the nearest is/ was about 5 miles away. A bit further afield and they are almost neighbours with each other! And yes, our YP has a selection of CD ad's too.

Nicky

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2005, 07:14:29 am »
In that case we have not got one our is 1O miles away, and the next one which claims to serve our area is 30 miles away in a place I have never heard off.

But then 30 miles is not far when you are in the sticks, or as Phil said to me Sibera

Dennis

« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2005, 09:13:30 am »
Someone mentioned their "Local" Chem-Dry franchise. Well I have "Six" on my patch, and their ads are next to each otherin the Yellow pages. If I had paid all that dosh for the franchise I would be pretty p***ed off at the ethics of the company. Has anyone else got that many in their area?

They sell franchises based not on an exclusive area but on a ratio of one franchise per 60000 population. A large town of say 240000 population could in theory have four in the same street.

John Kelly

« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2005, 05:35:22 pm »
Don't knock Chem-Dry. They started as a carpet cleaning franchise, however they have made major inroads into the insurance fire & flood restoration industry. They are now the biggest player. There are still a few original franchisees who stick to carpet cleaning but the majority now make their living from fire & flood. Anyone with around five licenses can be making between 70-200k profit depending on the area. They have been bought by Homeserve who also bought DRL last year. DRL ceases to exist from next month and the DRL subcontractors have been offered the chance to buy into Chem-Dry at a reduced price. If I was with Chem-Dry my main concern would be Homeserve starting to do the work with their own staff.

Len Gribble

« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2005, 06:55:49 pm »
John Kelly

Thought before their take over, DRL changed from subcontractors to franchisees network, if what you say is correct offered a CD franchise :P

Bet that now leaves DRL people in 22 position as most run a separate carpet cleaning business.

I would also be concerned if Homeserve started to use own staff that would mean CD are back in carpet cleaning in a big way.

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

John Kelly

« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2005, 07:55:59 pm »
Your right Len, some of the DRL guys do have good carpet cleaning businesses and it would be pointless buying a Chem Dry franchise. However the majority are buying into Chem Dry, the fire & flood business is lucrative, less so now than it used to be, however if you are prepared to put up with all the hassle that comes with it, you can make a really good income, excess of 100k not unusual.  DRL only made theirs  a franchise to get round the paye rules. Basically if you subbie to one main company you become an employee.
I'm with DRL at the moment and I am not taking up the Chem Dry option. Trouble is when you buy in you are made very aware that what you are buying is a carpet cleaning franchise. The insurance work is not guaranteed.
Homeserve are a PLC, their sole existence is to make profits for their shareholders, why pay a franchisee 75% of the job when you could take 80% using staff.

Len Gribble

« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2005, 09:22:01 pm »
John

Glad I’m not in that position amalgamating a separate independent business into a franchise, the cost alone would be enormous, don’t think CD will pay for that, but there are was round the franchise system one has to be very cute!

I’m looking in to the fish bowl! And hope they don’t get their finger chop off, who’s going to be Queen bee and the end of the day, we all know what internal politics are like!

As I said previously “I would also be concerned if Homeserve started to use own staff that would mean CD are back in carpet cleaning in a big way.” BUT WITH TRUCK MOUNTS!

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

bennymon

« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2005, 12:54:02 pm »
hi len i dont think they will go for the truckmounts to expensive

Len Gribble

« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2005, 07:57:25 pm »
Benneymon

Thought you were a CD team player, you must know what’s going on within your network!

Was not on about existing CD franchisee buying Truck Mounts, was referring to DRL franchisees who are joining CD, as I believe most of them are T/M users, that would give them an unfair advantage over existing CD's! :o ;D ;D ;D

(Shaun your premonition has come true in the UK)

Just reading threads and between the lines.

John

Understand where you are coming from franchisors can/will and do change the goal post to there needs!  Do they guarantee carpet cleaning?

Wonder how many YP have been signed up under old trading name!

Understand Bill L now works for CD? Now that one Gentleman I have a lot of time and respect for!

I wish all CD’s and new ones to be, all the best stay with FF very lucrative

Len

HolmansUKLTD

« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2005, 08:50:43 pm »
your allways reading between the lines master yoda (Len ;))
Surreys No1 Carpet & Upholstery cleaner
Surreys No1 Dart player
IICRC water restoration Technician

Len Gribble

« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2005, 09:02:04 pm »
Nick

A very quick mind if some one trying to stitch me up and I’ve been they before!

By the way download did not work, can you bring cd to next meeting of the franchise network. :( :(

Len

John Kelly

« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2005, 09:34:27 pm »
DRL guys have to sign a declaration that they will not use their truckmounts for carpet cleaning. Don't think anyones going in expecting to do any carpet cleaning. Just hoping to make up their loss of income on fire & flood work. When you have had a couple of hundred grands work cut off suddenly, this seems like the best option. You can not get any volume work as an independant.

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2005, 02:22:56 am »
I have been to a party tonight so  completly confused.

Ive heard of Regency application form is in my fileing cabnet, not enough pay. But no worries about equipment van marketing etc

Homeserve no idea and who is DRL

bennymon

« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2005, 01:45:26 pm »
hi len bill lakin is now technical training director   as for DLR they may not do so well with insurance work as it is a bit thin on the ground    mainly from norwich union who used to give us over 90% of there work but now give out 60% between rainbows and munters  but i have been told we have a good chance of winning it back.  my advice to the DLR lads would be think long and hard before making any decisions.     :)

Len Gribble

« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2005, 07:22:42 pm »
Ian

Regency now own DRL = Disaster Restorations Ltd

Homeserve own Regency plus other companies and now have the UK master licence for CD.

Hope this helps.

Bennymon

A wise move of CD in recruiting Bill next time you see him give him my best regards he will know me under Lenny kept tilling him it’s Len!

If I were in your shoe I would worry who your next local team player will be and it wont be a new CD carpet cleaner.

I know I should not say this but your big brother should check up on telephone manner of those of you who cover the BR postcode; this is not coming from me but a remark from a now customer, please note I always recommend CD as my alternative company, that’s not good for my image will I have to lower it to the 50% people? :(

Len