This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Les

Suggestions Please
« on: August 26, 2009, 08:37:22 pm »
Hi Guys,

I don't do a lot of window cleaning, but have been asked if I can help with the staining on this conservatory roof.

It apparently occured after the loft overflow leaked about a month ago.

I did test a small area with a couple of products with reasonable success, however I thought i'd ask the experts....that's you.....if you've ever dealt with a similar problem and what you used to remove it if succesful. Also I wondered what you would suggest for access to the top of the conservatory roofing as I'm not too happy about using crawling boards.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Les

A couple of photo's which I hope will be of help

GWCS

Re: Suggestions Please
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 08:43:21 pm »
looks like limescale to me..

mdr it (some people use toilet limescale remover) .. however its a glass reflective roof you will invalidate the warranty using any non manufacturers recommended products, so read the manufactures recommended cleaning products guide.

Ask the custy how old the conny is, did they purchase it? how long is the warranty for? and advise why (as above)

You may need to have a waiver signed regarding the warranty - if they didn;t buy it, then the warranty usually doesn;t pass over with the house sale.

Use a conny roof access ladder - you can rent these for about £25 a day for a hire shop.

Les

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 08:50:12 pm »
I'm sure you're right about it being limescale. The conservatory was already there when they purchased the house.

The customer showed me the manufacturers 'Cleaning Guide' which only said, "Don't use strong Acids, Scourers, Wire Wool or High Strength Cleaning Agents" ....but didn't make any suggestions what TO USE.....very helpful ! :P

Thanks for the tip about the access ladder which I'll checkout.

Les

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 08:53:16 pm »
I hear people on here saying this'll do it or that'll do it. This stuff WILL do it regardless of how long its been there or how thick it is. I had a similiar job to that what you got there about a year ago from a leaking overflow pipe that had been chugging away for a year. I applied this Kilrock stuff and it was sorted within 60 seconds tops. It IS the bees knees.

p1w1

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2009, 08:56:53 pm »
I hear people on here saying this'll do it or that'll do it. This stuff WILL do it regardless of how long its been there or how thick it is. I had a similiar job to that what you got there about a year ago from a leaking overflow pipe that had been chugging away for a year. I applied this Kilrock stuff and it was sorted within 60 seconds tops. It IS the bees knees.

where from please ?

Les

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2009, 08:58:21 pm »
And do you think it's ok to use safely on this reflective glass ?

Les

Visual Architect

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2009, 09:02:16 pm »
i would not touch it, looks haunted to me

is that a figure of a ghost in the second picture

VA

Les

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2009, 09:04:20 pm »
There wasn't anyone home when I took the pictures, they're on holiday........... :o

GWCS

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2009, 09:08:22 pm »

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2009, 09:17:38 pm »

where from please ?

I get it from the local hardware store, its called Lincolns, on Buckland Parade  ;D

Maybe someone sells it on t'internet.

daz1977

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2009, 09:30:39 pm »
i use to be a plumber for 5 years, and i have never seen a leaking over flow do that to a con roof,    have you tried hot water and fairy to break it up,

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2009, 10:03:57 pm »
You'll be there a long time with a kettle, kettles gather limescale like nothing on this earth, if hot water was to sort them out then that would be the place to do it.

geefree

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2009, 11:48:15 pm »
soak it with truck cleaner... let it soak until it breaks it down.

scrub with a normal brush... it will shift..

if it doesnt... say sorry i cant get this clean...bye.

Les

« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2009, 07:02:45 am »
 A reply to Daz1977,

I actually thought it was very strange. I expected to see one long mark on the roof and can't quite understand why  or how it covered such a large area.

The customer assures me that's what caused it so I have to take his word for it. It some seem to be some sort of limescale though.

Les

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2009, 07:50:18 am »
maybe big seagull ;D ;D

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2009, 08:27:28 am »
It drips, you can see where it lands, the bare spot and splashes. In the reflection in the glass you can see the overflow pipe is immediately above that bit of the limescale. And in the second picture the offending item is plain as day.

The splashes cause the wide area covered.

Les

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2009, 05:37:14 pm »
One last question from me,

are you saying that this Kilrock product is safe to use on reflective glass as it does state not to use Acidic products ?

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2009, 10:50:19 pm »
What states not to use acidic products?