Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Wickerman

Standing on ledges
« on: August 25, 2009, 09:05:56 am »
What are the legalities of standing on window ledges. I have just picked up a customer yesterday with a three story building. three flats all with high sash windows. The bottom window opens inward but the top window will only slide up or down. Am I in wrong to be standing out on the ledge? I work on my own.
Your skin's waterproof so get out there and work!!

GWCS

Re: Standing on ledges
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 09:11:58 am »
working at height regulations 2005

interesting reading..

then again if you not bothered do what you like..  Natural selection and all that.

Wickerman

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 09:15:00 am »
I am interested and I am trying to do everything correctly. I am just not sure of regs hence the question. If I am in the wrong then I will have to tell the customer.

stephen s

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 09:15:29 am »
where abouts are you ?      just so I can come and canvass that area when you fall off.

does that answer your question ?

Wickerman

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 09:20:40 am »
yes it does. Could you be any more condescending please.

stephen s

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 09:28:05 am »
Just being truthful mate,  you know you shouldn't be standing on ledges of that height as it only takes one slip, one mistake and its bye bye Johnny.

No job is worth your life mate so don't do it,  and thats the best advice anyone can give,       as the saying goes  up there for thinking  down there for dancing.

Johnny be good

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2009, 09:29:18 am »
I don't think it's entirely condescending.
your basic question is should I stand on a 10 inch ledge with no support, 30 ft off the ground?

best advise is slide the window down do the top half, then slide it back up and do the bottom half.
it will take longer so price accordingly,
or option 2  wfp and goose neck if that is available

Wickerman

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2009, 09:36:17 am »
 :) Sorry Steven,  I take that back. I just read it the wrong way. I am like everyone else, I want to do a good job and I want to do it right. WFP not an option (yet)

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2009, 09:40:32 am »
Have you got family?

GWCS

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2009, 09:52:09 am »
:) Sorry Steven,  I take that back. I just read it the wrong way. I am like everyone else, I want to do a good job and I want to do it right. WFP not an option (yet)

Johnny - To be fair it still the practise still happens these day, but when i was learning the trade it was common practise.

Putting the ladder up to second floor, climb on and around the foot wide large concrete ledges, around the large brick bay supports holding on by fingertips under the top sash for support. Cleaning one handed whilst the other held on..

But i don't recommend it..

Be safe.. Be happy.

cybersye

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2009, 10:03:20 am »

best advise is slide the window down do the top half, then slide it back up and do the bottom half.
it will take longer so price accordingly,

this is the best way, i am wfp but I have several flats where there is no access for back windows so I do them traditionally that way. be safe, and if you cant then dont do it, theres plenty of easier windows needing to be cleaned.

Glyn H

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2009, 10:07:43 am »
Johnny
No you realy shouldnt stand on a ledge why not subcontract the high work to a local window cleaner with wfp.

Ravensford

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2009, 10:29:29 am »
Johnny,

safest & cheapest way might be to buy a cheap second hand back pack, pole & brush &, just before the windows are due, buy some pure water in containers from a local w/c then trad the rest. Alternatively, as has been mentioned before, sub out all or part of the work.

Hope this helps

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2009, 10:36:05 am »
can you not just turn the top ones in and do it from the inside?

tomy jackson

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2009, 12:27:11 pm »
lanyard with proper atachmentes in the brick work ,donky spings to mined ??????????????????/.but its your life go for it ,

jonnyald

« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2009, 03:28:01 pm »
cant you tie a rope round your waist ? and tie the other end on the leg of the bed , so if you slip you wont fall  the whole way

daveappleby

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2009, 08:41:11 pm »
MAD MAD MAD......... ;)

Ian Lancaster

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2009, 02:38:35 pm »
Regardless of whether it's legal or not, you have no control over the safety aspect.  If you are using a ladder, you can control how it's set/footed etc and so ensure the safety.  Standing on a ledge that someone else has built is putting your faith in an unknown situation.

How do I know?  In 1977 I stood on an upstairs window sill and it collapsed under me. Unknown to me it had been broken previously, and the cowboy who repaired it just rebuilt it with cement, so any weight (even a flower pot) would have been enough to cause it to break again.

I fell 18 feet and broke both heel bones and both ankle joints.  I still have deformed feet and walk with a bad limp.

At least I'm still alive, and ever since I have taken my personal safety very seriously.

tomy jackson

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2009, 03:46:08 pm »
from in side or out you has to have a lanrard a tached to the bilding l,so if he falls itl be moor work for us ,if your daft enuf dont let us stop you

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2009, 03:54:43 pm »
if your daft enuf dont let us stop you

;D ;D fantastic.