Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

dave123

Excuses for avoiding jobs
« on: August 12, 2009, 12:22:07 pm »
Hi guys , had a job booked in for this afternoon , but didn't fancy doing it . Regular customer,but it means lugging my machine up six flights of stairs (top floor flat ) Once inside another flight of stairs.All white wool carpet as well . A bugger to park the van as well as she is on a main road with bus stop and bus lane ,so made an excuse and booked it in for next week . Do any of you guys do this or is it just me ? bothered .Maybe should have done it and got it out of the way but just couldn't be

Pristine Clean

Re: Excuses for avoiding jobs
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 12:35:18 pm »
If its such a pain, maybe theres an alternative method to cleaning with just as good results if not better. For example - Dry cleaning such as Envirodri, Host or encap.

We have jobs that are difficult to so, park etc but use a different method if its easier.

Just a thought.

Dave
"You have to except that some days you are the statue and other days you are a pigeon"

gwrightson

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 02:25:44 pm »
Dave ,

why on earth did you not price accordingly? 

In other words to make it worth while lugging up the stairs.

geoff
who ever said dont knock before u try ,i never tried dog crap but i know i wouldnt like  haha

Joe H

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 02:43:34 pm »
I have pulled the Scorpion up 3 flights of stairs and I would not like to pull it up more.
But hey, you young fit guys should be able to do that with 3 weetabix for breakfast - like Geoff says, charge accordingly.

dave123

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 04:21:32 pm »
I do  but the day before I was up at 2pm to take son to airport then had a big job on the same day , tiredness catching up on me and as I am knocking on near 60  Joe didn't feel that i could do a good job .

Robert Watson

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009, 04:36:14 pm »
Sounds like your working in Edinburgh Dave  ;D
The tenements have very high ceilings, hence lots of steps.
Its a two man job, I have a prep man who is fantastic. By the
time I`v done the pleasantry's all thats left is the machine to be taken down.
Rab.
The Kitchen Door Centre

dave123

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2009, 04:57:32 pm »
No Rab work in London and Kent . Used to have my son working with me but he has a regular job now .

Joe H

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2009, 04:59:24 pm »
as I am knocking on near 60  Joe didn't feel that i could do a good job .

Got a couple of years on you.
Now I see why you didnt want to drag it up 6 flight of stairs. Then back down for the hoses, then the wand and bits, then for the item you forgot.  :(

dave123

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2009, 06:06:00 pm »
Exactly Joe  ;D but have booked it in again next tuesday . Don't you just hate that when you forget things in situations like that .Mind you i also use it as an excuse for a fAg  ;D

nevil

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2009, 06:17:18 pm »
I had one of these just the other day. Four storries up. I'm only forty, and it's not that I can't manage it. It's just that at the end of a day of lugging the porty all over the place I really am not good for a lot come the evening. I personly don't like coming home that worn out. Thankfully I don't have to do these types of job that often. I agree with whoever said you must price accordingly. I normally add 20-25% if I can't use the TM. I really don't mind if they don't come back for further work in the future.

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2009, 06:22:14 pm »
Get a TM. Drop hose out the window or say you can't do it because you have a truckmount. Simple.

Either way life is a lot less tiring.

derek west

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2009, 06:29:51 pm »
double the price, you'll find the energy and the motivation then. ;D
derek

carpetfitta

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2009, 06:43:08 pm »
im exactly the same when it comes to fitting carpets and vinyls...last week i went to do a kitchen in vinyl, or so i thought.was the customers own measure.he said a kitchen...cos its cheaper i presume.so when i arrive its reality check time.its a loft conversion up 3 flights of stairs, and climb up a little loft ladder and try n pull a 18ft x 4metre piece of vinyl thru a 2ft x 32" inch gap with only 7ft height clearance from floor to ceiling without bending the vinyl  - i dont think so mate...its a cut and re-join job and a price that reflects the amount of work...he wouldnt pay the amount, said hed been quoted a price and thats it, and that i wasnt leaving til i had done the job. i said ok sir, ill jus go and get my tools. got in the van and drove off to my next job...he has been ringing me ever since but ive yet to pick up..some jobs just arent worth the hassle....

baz long
carpet cleaner/fitter

Daveyboy

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2009, 06:50:41 pm »
I'm a one-man-band, when it comes to a job like this I always price in for an assistant, tell client the price for a 2 man job, then get friend/relative to help with the carrying. Quids in usually.

colin thomas

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2009, 07:13:06 pm »
carpetfitta, top man,    ;D ;D  i've done similar when i think i am being mugged, just drive off, mostly they have rung me and begged to pay me more but i wont work for customers who think they can get one over on you, i'm off,

colin
colin thomas

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2009, 07:21:26 pm »
Carpetfitta has got it right, don't argue with them and spoil your day just bugger off and feel good about it.

Shaun

clinton

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2009, 07:31:58 pm »
I have also done the same as carpetfitta and wont be pushed in to doing work like that.

Prob the same when they cancel twice on the last min then phone again to make another booking :)

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2009, 07:36:35 pm »
I got one a few years ago. The lady was obviously an eccentric and like to horde things. The place was choker block and I mean choker block with junk and the carpet was covered in dog hairs. I told her I'd left my wand at the last job and did one, never to return ;D
Some jobs just ain't worth the hassle!
Simon

Ricky M

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2009, 09:43:15 pm »
If I book it then I will go because I hate it when they change or TRY to canx but Im straight to the point with my clients new and old , if I dont want to do it I tell them why over the phone , if I turn up and the job is far worse than they have stated ive already costed for it with the 2 guide prices.
Clients can be w@nkers if we let them but keep them in there place from the off thats what I say , bring back flogging and hanging, peeing on the tooth brush and taking the odd sneaky crap in the wash baskets
www.ability1975.co.uk
                          www.carpetcleaninguttoxeter.co.uk  
              NCCA !? but why have non of my clients herd of them ??

nevil

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2009, 10:26:44 pm »
If I book it then I will go because I hate it when they change or TRY to canx but Im straight to the point with my clients new and old , if I dont want to do it I tell them why over the phone , if I turn up and the job is far worse than they have stated ive already costed for it with the 2 guide prices.
Clients can be w@nkers if we let them but keep them in there place from the off thats what I say , bring back flogging and hanging, peeing on the tooth brush and taking the odd sneaky crap in the wash baskets

Fully agree with that. I couldn't bring myself to quietly slip away when someone has attempted to pull the wool over. I would have to say my bit. I don't mean get into a row but just calmly tell them why they can shove their job where the sun don't shine. Nothing annoys me more than someone trying to get one over me.