Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Poll

in the present climate is it worth being a window cleaner?

yes
50%
15 (50%)
no
23.3%
7 (23.3%)
maybe
26.7%
8 (26.7%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Voting closed: July 27, 2009, 01:27:09 pm

andyjs1uk

new kid on the block
« on: July 25, 2009, 12:18:33 pm »
k guys heres a question for ya,
i thinking of starting just a little round. but i want to know is traditional way ok or is it a must have to use long reach pole systems .... what i mean is, is it optional.?

also i would like some ideas to market, is better to canvas or leaflets. i would like to do this right  and to gain a good customer foundation

so all you guys that have years of experience please help :)

pingu

Re: new kid on the block
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2009, 12:31:46 pm »
Nothing wrong with being a traditonal style window cleaner...it's horses for courses...

Leafleting does work on it's own but you will achieve your goals far quicker by canvassing and then leafleting those who are not in...then note your results...then recanvass those who were not in...

Cheers and good luck

Dave.

mlscontractcleaner

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2009, 12:38:39 pm »
I imagine almost everyone on here started using a mop and squeegie, certainly the older ones among us ;)

As Pingu stated canvassing is much quicker than leaflets alone; You get a yes or no there and then instead of being sat waiting for the 'phone to ring.

My guess is that after a period of time, when your customer list is such that you're earning a decent living, you too will see the benefits of wfp and will want to go down that road.

Start slowly, build up your business little by little, be reliable, provide a high standard, value for money service and you'll reap the rewards.

Good luck to you ;D
Come and talk dirty to us!!!

JSMC

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2009, 12:44:42 pm »
i started trad mate even thouhg i had all my wfp but jus tneve rinstalled it. It's a good way to learn and is useful to have.

WFP is a good tool but not suitable for all jobs. Some people seem to think it is a magic wand it isn't

andyjs1uk

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2009, 12:54:09 pm »
thanks chaps. i already have a job working would you believe it emptying cesspools and treatment plants so i used to dirt i just want a little saturday job "pin money" so are saturdays productive and profitable?

mlscontractcleaner

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2009, 12:56:44 pm »
Yes, if it's not raining ;D

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2009, 01:10:17 pm »
 wouldnt want my windows cleaned on a saturday

martinsadie

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2009, 01:54:02 pm »
wouldnt want my windows cleaned on a saturday
ive just done 25 houses and all over the moon as they struggled to get a cleaner,there are some parts of my round i wouldnt dream of doing on saturdays as i know it would cause problems

mark dew

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2009, 01:57:07 pm »
Just read these last couple of posts. I'm behind from last week and am now off to clean some windows. (Hopefully).  ;D
I was gonna go 1st thing but thought it might not be appreciated.
Still, here goes.   :)

mlscontractcleaner

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2009, 05:06:56 pm »
Saturdays are fine; infact it's a good day to pick up new customers as neighbours who are normally at work will be home.

I don't work Saturdays as a rule, except for one in every eight weeks for a block of apartments called " The Mansion House", but if I'm behind with work I'll be out cleaning windows on a Saturday ......... like I was today :)

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2009, 05:53:50 pm »
I clean a building not far from there

concept

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2009, 06:24:16 pm »
I imagine almost everyone on here started using a mop and squeegie, certainly the older ones among us ;)

straight to the pole for me!!

canvassing works better for me than mass leaflet drops, maybe they see my ugly mug and take pity!

Blue Frog Systems

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2009, 06:55:11 pm »
Go for it matey, i did in April and never looked back
Only those who risk going too far will truly know how far they can actually go

mr D

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2009, 07:00:41 pm »
get your self out there with a mop and squeegee so you learn the basics.

Saturdays are fine just as long as you inform them this is when you will be round.

dont run before you can walk.

canvasing is 90% more successful from my exsperiance.

put a cheep add in your local church/community paper if its not to dear.

find advise from here, good luck.

johnny_h

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2009, 07:37:43 pm »
if you maybe put your location in your profile some of us might be able to offer you some work we no longer want
AUDI VIDE TACE

andyjs1uk

« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2009, 07:55:41 pm »
ok
i have put location on my profile. ashford kent..
i thank you all for you responses.
because i have a have a  job as i said before so it not crucial that  earn hundreds....but i was thinking of serving the pensioners as the majority live in bunglows... so maybe you lot can give advice????....on this ... i would love my own business, i know i cant just gain a big round straight away as i work a regular job and only doing saturday i will never get a massive turnover but who knows??

mr D

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2009, 08:30:48 pm »
Andy that is how i started out, all be it my day job was window cleaning but i built a round in the evening/weekends and now I, lets say 'earn a living' ;D

Cleshay I know but sky's the limit.

But as i said DONT run before you walk.

concept

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2009, 09:12:10 pm »
run run run fella! don't worry too much, just go for it, and ask loads of questions to those in the know, amd you will soon be flying!!

Jonathan Spencer

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2009, 09:16:17 pm »
Nothing wrong with Saturdays.  I started with 10 houses on a Saturday and then got to about 60 which was oj with the odd Sunday thrown in to catch up.  Saturdays are the best day to be seen.

tacky

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2009, 09:46:32 pm »
if its been raining in week .i ll work saturday .