This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

clean

Gutter vacs is it worth it ?
« on: July 23, 2009, 04:18:07 pm »
Hi all,i`ve been thinking about this for a while and was wondering if anyone went for it and can highly reccomend  it,
Thanks  ;)

Steve CM

Re: Gutter vacs is it worth it ?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 04:19:32 pm »
gutter cleaning goes hand in hand with windows. it makes the job easier so its a no brainer

clean

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 04:23:02 pm »
Thanks Steve,do you use one if so what do you have

clean

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009, 04:38:19 pm »
If going down the DIY route what wet dry vacuum is need ie wattage power size etc ?

Steve CM

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009, 04:53:56 pm »
i bought the full omnivac set up at around 5k and yes it was worth it

ftp

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009, 06:41:40 pm »
I went diy for a little over £1k and yes it was worth it too  ;D

JSMC

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2009, 11:16:03 pm »
what generator you guys got?

groundhog

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2009, 12:38:48 am »
In a word.... NO!!!! just get yourself a decent ladder and a trowel... far more effective, faster and one hell of a lot cheaper!!!!!!!!!  ;)

GWCS

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2009, 09:56:37 am »
In a word.... NO!!!! just get yourself a decent ladder and a trowel... far more effective, faster and one hell of a lot cheaper!!!!!!!!!  ;)

This is only any good for the sole traders who do not care about H&S and who have no employees.

If you are an employer it is your responsibility (legal requirement) to ensure you employees are following H&S legislation and are providing your employees with adequate training, equipment and support.

However after previously doing the ladder scoops method and now having a gutter vac of some sorts I can say it is much faster with experience, extremely safer, not only for yourself but for any third party too, and very effective.

dd

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2009, 01:01:52 pm »
You told us you earned well over £1000 in one day with a gutter vac you hired from omnipole! Assuming this is the same Groundhog.

clean

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2009, 01:04:01 pm »
If going down the DIY route what wet dry vacuum is need ie wattage power size etc ?

Can anyone answer this question ?
Thanks  ;)

groundhog

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2009, 02:45:38 pm »
You told us you earned well over £1000 in one day with a gutter vac you hired from omnipole! Assuming this is the same Groundhog.

Well remembered dd! your right I did, but I could have done the job just as well (better actually!) and as fast using a ladder + trowel... and saved myself the hassle and expense of hiring the vac!!  ;)

ftp

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2009, 04:29:10 pm »
Groundhog's right!
There is nothing to beat being up close and personal to the gutter. Of course that means ladders, so if you are happy with ladders then don't waste your money.
However, if you want commercial work then ladders will most likely be a no no. Likewise are you willing to climb on three storey work?
Vacs do the job, not spotlessly but they will clear the rubbish out and leave you with clean hands and no broken limbs.  ;D

So as a kind of life insurance then I suppose they are worth it, the same reason people use the waterfed pole system really.

Steve CM

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2009, 05:31:38 pm »

what a load of nonsense!

wfp master

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2009, 06:01:08 pm »
Hi all,i`ve been thinking about this for a while and was wondering if anyone went for it and can highly reccomend  it,
Thanks  ;)
no waste of cash

groundhog

« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2009, 08:42:09 pm »

what a load of nonsense!

Who the hell do you think you are?? I've done a lot of gutter cleaning over the last few years, and I would only consider hiring out a guttervac again as an absolute last resort. The way I do it these days is to go up the ladder and get out as much as I can with the trowel and then rod the gutter through as far as I can, so I don't have to put the ladder up so often. The guttervac is heavy, slow and ineffective on gutters that are very blocked, and dosn't clear out downpipes very well at all.

R W C

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2009, 09:01:52 pm »
welcome back grounhog  ;)

prestigeclean

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2009, 09:03:12 pm »
just got a gutter job worth £810 twice a year , so i,d say yes , there,s no way i would of got the job without the vac and camera regards alan

Davo

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2009, 09:24:21 pm »

what a load of nonsense!
Hi stevecm can you expand on that statement and explain why its nonsense.
Thanks
Mark

Steve CM

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2009, 12:57:07 pm »

what a load of nonsense!

Who the hell do you think you are?? I've done a lot of gutter cleaning over the last few years, and I would only consider hiring out a guttervac again as an absolute last resort. The way I do it these days is to go up the ladder and get out as much as I can with the trowel and then rod the gutter through as far as I can, so I don't have to put the ladder up so often. The guttervac is heavy, slow and ineffective on gutters that are very blocked, and dosn't clear out downpipes very well at all.

the gutter vac is an effective solution to clearing out gutters safely and effectively. to say that a ladder and trowel is more effective is nonsense!