This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

A warning - Abbey business banking
« on: June 28, 2009, 06:36:20 am »
Recently, Abbey imposed charges on my account for exceeding the maximum number of cheques (100) deposited in my accounting month.  The actual number of cheques deposited in the relevant month was 74.  I phoned them and got the charge immediately refunded.  I was told by them that it was a "known problem".  I pointed out that it has been a "known problem" for quite a while because 2 or 3 months ago, I was wrongly charged for the same thing.  On that occasion I had deposited 93 cheques in the relevant period.
Be aware that the accounting month does not necessarily start from the 1st of the month.  It starts from the date in the month when the account first opened.  If you are unsure when that was, you will need to ask them.  Personally, I would have thought that for simplicity's sake everyone should be counted from the 1st.  Either way, they were still totally wrong to impose the charge.  Both were refunded.  Check those statements guys.

Re: A warning - Abbey business banking
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 07:10:17 am »
I've been having this too. Was thinking about opening a second account with the same business name to split the cheques,What do you think?

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 07:29:41 am »
I've been having this too. Was thinking about opening a second account with the same business name to split the cheques,What do you think?

I think that would be unnecessary if you manage to stay below the 100 cheques in a month.  If they make the mistake, they do put it right straight away.  However, if you exceed the 100 then this may be a good idea.  Abbey do inform you of any pending charges on the previous paper statement.  On the first occasion that they blundered, I noticed it ahead of time and phoned to prevent it happening.  This second time though I missed it and didn't get it put right until after the deduction.  I had just paid a load of stuff from the account and it was very depleted.  It was very close to putting me overdrawn.
I am gradually switching over to the Co-op bank for my business stuff.  The personal account will follow.  I'm sick of Abbey for a number of reasons.  They seem to enjoy making things difficult.

ftp

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 07:54:57 am »
Me too and I reckon they will sting me again soon. I'm having several written in my name now to reduce the number. I pay them into my current account.

david wood

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009, 08:38:10 am »
yes i had the same thing happen the other week .i no for a fact i never put that many in but i had no proof so i had to pay the 12pound fee

concept

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009, 09:20:09 am »
oh man, just opened an abbey account...thought it was free business banking...

MUST READ SMALL PRINT!!!!!!

elite mike

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2009, 09:28:37 am »
i have been with girobank / a & l / now santander  business banking

for about 28 years

never been charged once 8) ;D

ok cleaning

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2009, 12:33:18 pm »
it happened to me aswell last few months they returned my money and promised wont happen again.

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2009, 01:20:42 pm »
yes i had the same thing happen the other week .i no for a fact i never put that many in but i had no proof so i had to pay the 12pound fee

The only reason I could be certain of the incorrect charges was because I keep photocopies of every cheque that goes into the bank and when.  I have done this for some years now because a customer would occasionally have an enquiry and, very rarely thankfully, someone would even try it on by saying they had paid by cheque when they hadn't.  However, as far as Abbey is concerned, you don't need to go to those lengths.  All you really need to do is fill in the paying-in stub each time you make a deposit and enter the number of cheques on it.

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2009, 01:27:55 pm »
The issue that I keep onto them about is the absence of BACS reference numbers (the ones I give my customers based on their housename/number and postcode).  They say they have no resolved it (after years of nagging) but they haven't.  I still have to guess who has paid me by BACS.  It's usually easy as name and amount are usually enough info but sometimes the surname and amount owed are the same - especially if it's a frequently re-occurring surname.  It's a great pity because making deposits 24/7 by cashpoint is a great way of depositing.  It's the only good thing I can say about them.  They say they are well capitalised.  I'm not surprised.  I have been trying to get my money out of them for six weeks now.  I thought they might kick me out.  I ended up swearing and screaming down the phone at them last time with pure frustration.  I can't stand it much longer.  I'm going to leave Abbey before they drive me completely insane.

chris@c.m.s

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2009, 02:26:43 pm »
I am gradually switching over to the Co-op bank for my business stuff.  The personal account will follow.  I'm sick of Abbey for a number of reasons.  They seem to enjoy making things difficult.

Have you got that through the FSB? I had a chap call round for a chat and they was offering free banking with Co-op, the whole membership seemed worthwhile so I'll probably be joining soon, Natwest have been good so far but I'm paying for that, and its more than the FSB membership  ::)
Sussex by the sea

dave0123

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2009, 02:40:46 pm »
I pay 5.00 per month with alliance leicester and i put in as many cheques as i want or direct debits bacs and standing orders no extra charge. If i put in over a 1000 a month i think it is theres no charge at all.

You can get around this by transfering money from my business savings account and back again  ;D
Dave.

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2009, 02:53:40 pm »

Have you got that through the FSB? I had a chap call round for a chat and they was offering free banking with Co-op, the whole membership seemed worthwhile so I'll probably be joining soon, Natwest have been good so far but I'm paying for that, and its more than the FSB membership  ::)

Yes.  It's the freebie that goes with FSB membership.  Slowly getting my ducks in a row to switch from Abbey.  Been very busy earning though so not been able to devote the time to it that I need to.

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2009, 03:01:47 pm »
I pay 5.00 per month with alliance leicester and i put in as many cheques as i want or direct debits bacs and standing orders no extra charge. If i put in over a 1000 a month i think it is theres no charge at all.

You can get around this by transfering money from my business savings account and back again  ;D

A and L are soon going to be under the Santsnder umbrella along with Abbey and Bradford and Bingley.  If they don't get their act together I forecast a mass exodus.  The stupid thing is that the required changes are really simple to implement yet because they won't listen, they are making their customers' lives so much harder.
I had a cheque returned a while ago.  They sent it back to me 10 days later.  It appears that they have debited me twice for the same returned cheque.  They have done this at trhe same time as doing a hatchet job on my overdraft limit (in spite of me paying more in than ever each month).  Their incompetence nearly pushed me overlimit.  The two debit were made on 13th and 18th May.  Still waiting to see if they docked the same cheque twice or if they are in fact two separate cheques.  No wonder they are "well capitalised".  They are thieves who steal money from their customers' accounts.  If I went into an Abbey branch and demanded money they would lock me up for it.  At least Turpin had the common courtesy to wear a mask.
Abbey are thieves.  I don't do business with thieves.

Window Cleaning Services

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2009, 06:46:47 pm »
best thing to do is photocopy the back of your paying in slip with all the names of the payees. thats 4 photocopies a month for me. They have charged me twice so far and it's their fault both times, so i told them next time i would like some extra put back in just like tesco does if they overcharge you.we shall see. ;D syd

Sapphire Window Cleaning

« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2009, 10:38:56 pm »
I'm with Lloyds tsb commercial, free banking for 18months, and as far as I'm aware theres no limit on how many cheques you can pay in.
Reaching parts traditional window cleaners can not reach.

billozz

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2009, 03:11:29 pm »
we have been with tsb for years and they charge 28p per cheque and 58p per £100 of cash we are looking elsewhere
there are more windows than window cleaners so lets help each other

JRDEasiReach

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2009, 04:18:22 pm »
Im with the Northern Bank and i can drop one lodgement a week for free and up to 1000 in that lodgement, if i lodge at the desk i get charged, if i write a cheque i get charged 70p per cheque wrote and on top of that i get charged 26.60 a month to bank with them!!  Bit much i think but then again Abbey takes around 4 weeks to open and you HAVE to do all your banking via the hole in wall and you cant deposit coins.  Think i will stay where i am even though i have to pay 26.60 at least i am trouble free :)
JRD Easi Reach
'The Ladderless Window Cleaning System'