Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

[GQC] Tim

The ultimate fixed reel setup? With pictures.
« on: June 24, 2009, 06:45:48 pm »
The thought behind this project was that I wanted to do away with lifting the 100m minibore hosereel out of the van 30 times a day due to a bad back. So the only option was to have it fixed in the van, trolleys and backpacks were either too cumbersome or just increasing back problems. Van mount is in my opinion the best way for wfp.

I still wanted the flexibility of a free standing hosereel and security of van ports though, so it got me thinking. After a while I settled for a winch roller from Fairleads and a face mounted roller guide from Redashe/Coxreels to give me this flexibility.

This way I have almost 180 degrees field of work, and I must say it works very well. The only thing you need to do is (only remotely) have the rear of the van facing the house(s). I did a couple of jobs today wich wouldn't at all be ideal for a normal fixed hosereel setup, but it overcome it beautifully, almost as well as a freestanding hosereel.

Two little things though, when you are at an extreme angle, like the one picture shows below, with the hose leading to the garden, you do not have as much pulling power when the hose goes round a couple of corners, or rockery like you see below. In fact, it's almost impossible to get the correct pulling power when you go around many corners at this angle. What I did is I walked back half of the hose, then it reeled in nice and easy. This might be improved, but it's only day one.

Second thing is, that the vertical mounted rollers on the winch roller can be a bit noisy if the hose isn't pressing against it properly, inside the metal rollers it's just plastic bearings, so they rattle a tiny bit if not pressed against fully, if nothing bad though, maybe I can put some WD40 on it.

I also have the ability to still run the hose through a cloth right before the hose reel.

Also, you can see that there is virtually no trip hazard whatsoever, another plus!

I hope this has given some of you an idea on how to tackle this problem.

Make sure that when you fit the winch roller, that it's fixed to something sturdy, preferably metal, it is heavy.

I will fit a Y piece and valve after my DIs, so I can still use the van ports if needed, the pipe clips hold the reel, but you can take it out with a bith of a pull.

ps. before anyone says my bucket is in the way of the handle, it is! I've only got a Berlingo, and I need a smaller box for my detergents and cloths, so the bucket can go there.

Picture Gallery :

http://tinyurl.com/mpw2h4

alternatively, use this gallery :

http://tinyurl.com/ln4eqe

Steve CM

Re: The ultimate fixed reel setup? With pictures.
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 07:01:01 pm »
looks good ;) i had a similar idea but to just have the rollers coming straight through the back doors!

Ian Lancaster

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 07:06:23 pm »
When I clicked on the link I got a message via my internet security that the site is dangerous, tinyurl is known to distribute spyware.

I'm not saying it is or it isn't, but ZoneAlarm recommended I didn't download anything from the site

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 07:11:16 pm »
When I clicked on the link I got a message via my internet security that the site is dangerous, tinyurl is known to distribute spyware.

I'm not saying it is or it isn't, but ZoneAlarm recommended I didn't download anything from the site

Tinyurl makes urls shorter. Maybe some spyware makers use it to disguise urls but tinyurl is 100% legitimate.

If this forum would actually properly work, then I could post a full url or thumbnails, but alas.

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 07:13:27 pm »
One of the neatest set ups I have seen.

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2009, 07:46:56 pm »
One of the neatest set ups I have seen.

Thanks Alex!

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2009, 07:49:45 pm »
Very clever and neatly done. My compliments.

steve cm a domestic near towester nn12 interested?

windowswashed

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2009, 09:52:32 pm »
A lot of thought gone into that. Well done.

Steve CM

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2009, 10:00:45 pm »
Very clever and neatly done. My compliments.

steve cm a domestic near towester nn12 interested?

we do have a few up there. email me if you want on steve@clearmagic.co.uk

cheers mate ;)

LWC

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2009, 10:01:00 pm »
How do you find it reeling it in? Does it just go in one place...if you get what i mean?

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2009, 10:20:16 pm »
How do you find it reeling it in? Does it just go in one place...if you get what i mean?

If I get you right, I use a cloth soaked in antibacterial, and just guide it where it enters the van. So the hose is all nicely layered. :)

DaveG

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2009, 10:35:35 pm »
Fantastic idea mate....ive been trying to leave the reel in the van the last couple of days, just one question ...does that give you a back ache because of the angle you have to lean at to reel it in?

Cheers Dave
You can't polish a turd

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2009, 10:36:04 pm »
Just one point, not sure where you got your roller fairlead from but if its a generic Chinese job whip the circlips off and get some quality ones on there, the bloody things are terrible and even the vibration of the van going down the road can shake them off, I lost a couple off of the vertical rollers on one of my recovery trucks, theres nothing like getting where your going to discover the fairlead riollers are no longer with you  ;D

They are proper Fairleads rollers, no circlips or anything. Had to use a lot of strength to get the bolts off, they are massive! Took it all apart, had to because of where I fitted an extra hold for a bolt, and I can tell you it's all very solid. :)

Here is where I bought them from, reputable business.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BRAND-NEW-WINCH-ROLLER-FAIRLEADS_W0QQitemZ150350520304QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Other_Vehicle_Parts_Accessories_ET?hash=item230196dff0&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1683|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2009, 10:37:42 pm »
Fantastic idea mate....ive been trying to leave the reel in the van the last couple of days, just one question ...does that give you a back ache because of the angle you have to lean at to reel it in?

Cheers Dave

Thanks!

It's not too bad actually, you can step in the van with one foot if you want to, and you only have to lean forward a tiny bit. I wanted it more forward, but I had to clear the bumper subframe. It's pretty good. Should be even better with an electric reel. :)

DaveG

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2009, 10:40:55 pm »
Good on you mate , got me thinking now!!!

Thanks for sharing !!
You can't polish a turd

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2009, 10:41:31 pm »
No problem mate!

The only thing I need now is a snap on protector ball for the connector. The smallest gardiner protecta ball actually squeezes just about through with a bit of force, but I would like to find something that snaps on and off easily, the connector gets badly knocked on the pavement other wise.

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2009, 10:49:15 pm »
Glad to know I can use it if I ever get stuck in the mud!  ;D

I'm not quite sure if rollerbearings would be better for the application I'm using it for, but I guess the nylon bearing will last a long time if they are normally subjected to tons of weight!  :D

Spruce

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2009, 03:14:24 pm »
Hi Tim
What have you done with the spare wheel?
Spruce
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2009, 05:58:59 pm »
Hi Tim
What have you done with the spare wheel?
Spruce

I took it out, gonna buy one of those canisters that you can fill your tire with in case of a puncture.

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2009, 01:23:16 pm »
If any one else is going to try this, please let me know how you get on with it. Either post here, or send me an email.

Thanks!