This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

darren73

r/o for fish tanks
« on: June 20, 2009, 08:27:42 pm »
could someone tell me what way an r/o is used to produce fishtank water

Window Washers

Re: r/o for fish tanks
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 09:06:39 pm »
if your wanting it for a fish tank you need a nitrate filter, ros take stuff out of the water, you will still need a declorinator ounless you have them as prefilters.

My Dad owes an aquatics shop
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

chris@c.m.s

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2009, 09:31:38 pm »
Ian you got that slightly wrong  ;D You are quite right though that Ro takes too much out out of the water and minerals need to be added before adding it to an aquarium.
Sussex by the sea

tonylee

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2009, 09:44:26 pm »
if your wanting it for a fish tank you need a nitrate filter, ros take stuff out of the water, you will still need a declorinator ounless you have them as prefilters.

how much

chris@c.m.s

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2009, 09:45:41 pm »
Oops I may be mistaken ::) lol that's why my fish died.
Sussex by the sea

chris@c.m.s

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2009, 09:55:51 pm »
Nitrate is in the water but turns to nitrite after the tank is polluted, nitrite being lethal in high density to fish, a mature tank will have organisms that will stop the cycle though.   
Sussex by the sea

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2009, 10:58:52 pm »

Unless I have read this wrong, I think you'e mistaken Ian. An RO unit removes nitrate from tap-water.

Nitrate is in the water but turns to nitrite after the tank is polluted, nitrite being lethal in high density to fish, a mature tank will have organisms that will stop the cycle though.   

Wrong............a mature tank does NOT have organisms that stop the cycle....a mature tank has a healthy population of nitrfiying bacteria that allow the nitrogen cycle to go through its natural stages, eventually so that nitrate is produced (being the least toxic). This is removed by water changes or de-nitrifying bacteria (bacteria that thrive in areas of water with a low oxygen content, such as deep-sand bed filters and live rock)

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2009, 11:04:05 pm »

An RO unit produces fish-tank water in exactly the same way as we produce it for cleaning windows.

The final product needs minerals and dechlorinators added to it for fish to be able to survive and thrive in it if its for fresh water.

If its for marine fish/corals etc, just add the salt that is used in marine fish keeping; oxygenate it with a circulation pump to drive off the carbon dioxide, heat to 26°C then add to tank.

chris@c.m.s

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2009, 11:05:48 pm »
well I was nearly right then ;D there is nitrate in tap water though isn't there? and chlorine will evaporate out of the water within 24 hours?

Sussex by the sea

Window Washers

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2009, 11:07:40 pm »
it was about 15 years ago my dad had this gadget so could be mistaken, I swear is was to remove what I said though.

clorine is a big killer of fish and that need to be taken away, hard fish can take it the others can and will die should this not be removed.

Rain water is a good option, never heard that the water needs minerals put back in it after ro, ph buffers maybe, and declorinator, loads of poitions you can buy, I can also supply them mail order
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2009, 11:07:55 pm »
well I was nearly right then ;D there is nitrate in tap water though isn't there?

There is, it varies depending on where you are in the country, how much wash-off there is from local farmland (fertiliser is high in nitrates, particularly that used on grassland) is one factor that affects it, also how good and efficient your local water supplier is too has a high determining factor on NO3 levels.

Round here, hampshire the tap water NO3 is about 25 ppm.

chris@c.m.s

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2009, 11:12:32 pm »
hey I'm south of the Sussex downs so we get it all in our water.
Sussex by the sea

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2009, 11:14:02 pm »
A few bits of my marine tank.

I just ordered a load of glass this week to the tune of £1,000 for a new tank.

Thats just for the glass, its not even a tank for that money  ;D

Window Washers

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2009, 11:16:50 pm »
I used to have to clean out the lion fish tank in my dads shop, and Excuse the spelling) porcupine puffers oh I used to brick it every time.
pp I though were great the lions a nightmare

chris@c.m.s

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2009, 11:17:55 pm »
Ian I think today's RO,S take anything like chlorine out, don't quote me though I'm having a bad day and getting it all wrong today ;D ;D ;D  
Sussex by the sea

Window Washers

« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2009, 11:19:14 pm »
I dont know as not tested it, but when I viist I should take a bottle and put it through the tests, could be on a winner up here  ;D

chris@c.m.s

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2009, 11:30:51 pm »
Looks great Matt,  I have 1 marine tank and the other main tank was of African lake cichlids until I knocked the stat up by accident and boiled them all, was gutted had 3 generations of breeding wiped out only 4 fish survived  :'( 
Sussex by the sea

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2009, 11:32:29 pm »

Whoops, easy done actually.

I came in yesterday and said to my missus 'Whats that smell?' Eventually wwe found it was the ignitor for the flourescent tube above the tank, was melting.

Whoops again!!

These things happen easy.

Window Washers

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2009, 11:33:19 pm »
have to say Matt them pics are great, so relaxing looking at a good marine tank, I love reef still to set this up

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2009, 11:45:54 pm »
I like those top shots. The macro images of an Acropora coral.

I have just this week ordered the glass to build another tank at home. It'll have a total capacity of about 2,000 litres all told, including sump, circulation tanks and main viewing tank. The main tank will be viewed as if it were a picture on the wall in the kitchen although it'll actually be housed in a room built as a self-purpose fish room.

This is the stand for it

Sure you get the idea from the plans we had drawn up.