This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Jonathan Spencer

Going from Part-time to Full-time. Advice please.
« on: June 19, 2009, 10:26:37 pm »
I work full-time for a company (hate it) and been doing window cleaning part-time for 18 months.  I have recently started to take it a bit more seriously and had a bit of a boom in customers.  I up to about £1000 a month now and just about manage to get around on a 5 week cycle during the summer, working weekends and evenings (I am knackered doing this).  I have built this even though I have not had a car due to a ban.  I am going to get my licence back in a few weeks and obviously I can travel further to get more work.

Now should I wait till next Easter before I go full-time?  This way I would have to take a young lad on for the weekends and muddle through.

Or should I just go for it?  I have never canvassed and find that the best way for me is to leaflet a road.  Get a couple of calls and then pick more work up as people see me (I know I do a very good job)  .  My main problem is that I need the money from my full-time job due to having a stay at home wife for my two young daughters.

I am a dilema at the moment as I do not know what to do as I do not want to put my house at risk but I love working for myself and the flexibility it offers.

Any constructive advice would be welcome.

Thanks in advice.

Ian W

Re: Going from Part-time to Full-time. Advice please.
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 07:25:51 am »
Your situation sounds similar to mine was. I had a part time round, but wanted to go full time. Not being confident that I could canvass enough work quick enough, I bought some. This has ensured that we had enough money coming in while I am slowly building the round up. Could you buy some local work so that you can go f/t now, rather than next year?

I love the flexibility of this work. On Thursday, I went to see one of my boys play the drums at his school - that would have been difficult to arrange when working for someone.

I don't want to ever going back to being employed now. Nuff said!  ;D
Do all the good you can, and make as little fuss about it as possible.
Charles Dickens

Jonathan Spencer

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2009, 07:37:03 am »
Your situation sounds similar to mine was. I had a part time round, but wanted to go full time. Not being confident that I could canvass enough work quick enough, I bought some. This has ensured that we had enough money coming in while I am slowly building the round up. Could you buy some local work so that you can go f/t now, rather than next year?

I love the flexibility of this work. On Thursday, I went to see one of my boys play the drums at his school - that would have been difficult to arrange when working for someone.

I don't want to ever going back to being employed now. Nuff said!  ;D

Thanks for the reply.  A bloke I know does probably the other half of the work around here and I have been told he is emigrating.  The problem is the money though.  The reason why I took up the window cleaning part-time is to pay off the massive debts I built up when I used to drink too much (sober now). 

Still paying these off.  I think I am just going to consolidate what I have got and keep going to Easter then go full-time with my holdiay pay to back me up.

R W C

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2009, 08:04:24 am »
Cant you go part time in your other job for a bit.

Jonathan Spencer

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2009, 08:21:50 am »
Cant you go part time in your other job for a bit.

Sorry that is not an option.

ftp

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2009, 08:35:13 am »
You will always have the problem of stepping out from your full time job and into windowcleaning full time. I did the same as you (not the drinking or debts). You will never have enough work to start with because you can't do two full jobs at once. I got to the stage where I was using all my holidays up just to keep up with the cleaning.
Another option could be to try and pick up a part time job to run alongside the cleaning
pehaps? You could grass cut or gutter clean through the summer whilst canvassing for your round?

williamx

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2009, 09:59:21 am »
Johnathan

If you are really committed to being a full time window cleaner, and you have already built up a part time round, I would go for it.

You do have a few hurdles to overcome, the first being the lose of earning from your old job untill you have built up emough customers to cover this.

The simple answer to this is that you are allowed to make a claim for working tax and child tax credits, you give the taxman your part time income as your earnings, if you get in touch with the tax office they will be able to give you a guildline on what you would get.

You also should apply for council tax and housing benefit as well.

The next problem is your debts, again this is nothing to worry about.

Debts are sorted into 2 catogries, priority and non priority debts.

Rent/mortgage, electric/gas, council tax and other taxes and fines are priority debts and must be paid off, but these people will lower your repayments if you are in finiancial difficulties.

The non priority debts like credit cards, loans and so on you can make them a token payment of £1 per month, most will argue that this is not good enough but if you can prove that is all you can afford then there is nothing they can do about it, because if they took you to court the judge will only order you to pay them what you can afford.

If they threaten you with bailiffs, do not worry, they cannot break in to your house to seize goods they have to bew invited in or they can climb though a open window, never ever let a bailiff in, because once they have been in then they can break in at a future date.

I would go and see your local c.a.b or consumer credit council service.

As soon as you go full time, go out every night door knocking untill you have built up a decent round, it should only take a few weeks.

Jonathan Spencer

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2009, 09:09:10 pm »
Thanks for the replies.  i think I will just carry on the way I am through the rest of the summer and keep taking any extra work on.  Through the dark evenings, hopefully my 16 year-old step daughter will come with me and I will sling her a few quid  :D.   That way I can keep my regular money and hopefully pay most of the debts off.

Window Washers

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2009, 09:17:42 pm »
Johnathan

If you are really committed to being a full time window cleaner, and you have already built up a part time round, I would go for it.

You do have a few hurdles to overcome, the first being the lose of earning from your old job untill you have built up emough customers to cover this.

The simple answer to this is that you are allowed to make a claim for working tax and child tax credits, you give the taxman your part time income as your earnings, if you get in touch with the tax office they will be able to give you a guildline on what you would get.

Rent/mortgage, electric/gas, council tax and other taxes and fines are priority debts and must be paid off, but these people will lower your repayments if you are in finiancial difficulties.

The non priority debts like credit cards, loans and so on you can make them a token payment of £1 per month, most will argue that this is not good enough but if you can prove that is all you can afford then there is nothing they can do about it, because if they took you to court the judge will only order you to pay them what you can afford.

If they threaten you with bailiffs, do not worry, they cannot break in to your house to seize goods they have to bew invited in or they can climb though a open window, never ever let a bailiff in, because once they have been in then they can break in at a future date.

As soon as you go full time, go out every night door knocking untill you have built up a decent round, it should only take a few weeks.
From what I hear a court baliff can go in if you are not there, please prove this wrong as I know someone with this trouble.

back on subject, you will know yourself if you are in this for the long term.

If I was you and I have been there, I would get more customers every day for a month then go for it (takes balls gambling with your family life I have to admit.

You are being held back on the jump from employed to selef employed, I respect that, you will know when it is time and if like me wife will go a little mad..
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

Jonathan Spencer

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2009, 10:17:40 pm »
Johnathan

From what I hear a court baliff can go in if you are not there, please prove this wrong as I know someone with this trouble.

If I was you and I have been there, I would get more customers every day for a month then go for it (takes balls gambling with your family life I have to admit.

You are being held back on the jump from employed to selef employed, I respect that, you will know when it is time and if like me wife will go a little mad..

My other half is being very supported.  She realises it will be more money and the flexibilty to help out with my two young daughters.  I have no problem getting the work as I have a good reputation for doing a good job, being friendly and not taking the micheal.

williamx

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2009, 10:38:14 pm »
Johnathan

Ian

Here's a link from your local cab

http://www.cambridgecab.org.uk/What's_New/latest_update_items/Bailiffs_powers.htm

AuRavelling79

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2009, 09:45:33 am »
How much do you need to earn? What are your debts? What is your health like?

Personally - if I did not have money behind me and if I was owing large sums then I would either:

Hang on in your job until early spring 2010, canvass like mental after Xmas telling folk that you will "expand into their area" in March 2010 and start full time in March.

Or if you are really desperate to start then build up like crazy and go full time in October this year. If you have enough by then - well fine - if not then get a "run up to Xmas" job at ASDA for a couple of days a week ready to launch in the New year.
It's a game of three halves!

Jonathan Spencer

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2009, 10:02:39 am »
How much do you need to earn? What are your debts? What is your health like?

Personally - if I did not have money behind me and if I was owing large sums then I would either:

Hang on in your job until early spring 2010, canvass like mental after Xmas telling folk that you will "expand into their area" in March 2010 and start full time in March.

Or if you are really desperate to start then build up like crazy and go full time in October this year. If you have enough by then - well fine - if not then get a "run up to Xmas" job at ASDA for a couple of days a week ready to launch in the New year.

I am not desperate to start.  Just doing the thinking and working out what I need to do.  My debts are about 7 grand wich is not a massive amount but still needs paying off.

Thanks

R W C

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2009, 10:11:02 am »
I wish my debts where 7 grand when i went full time.

Chris

Re: Going from Part-time to Full-time. Advice please. New
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2009, 10:36:54 am »
Baillifs have powers, such as being able to enter a property when the owner isnt there.

However, the bailif is going to know if the person who owes money has got anything worth taking to help cover any outstanding debt.

Also, dont forget the baillif will have a policeman with him, a lock smith, a vehicle like a transit and a couple of guys to remove the stuff and the use of a storage facility. ALL those costs have to be covered by the value of the goods removed BEFORE anything goes towards lowering the debt.

THEREFORE a bailiff isnt stupid........ they WONT remove anything unless all those costs are going to be covered firstly by the value of goods the debtor owns.

The local county baillif used to pay me a visit on a regular basis. We had a camerarderie and before I cleared all my debts became very chatty and chummy.

He used to tell me about his family and family life (his brother had learning problems who he had brought up himself whilst he was getting stress at home as his missus was expecting). Anyway, he used to come into the house here, with NO intention of removing goods, all he wanted was to do his job, RETRIEVE THE MONEY NOT MY PROPERTY, and be on his way.

I was quite sad when I cleared my debt :D he was a real nice bloke.

And my debt was accrued through irresponsibility (credit/store cards) drinking, council tax, drinking, phone bills (you wouldnt believe my phone bill, so I wont tell you); but all told it came to about £18,000 - £20,000. Did I say drinking?

Anyway, it dawned on me after a few visits that the bailiff calling was in fact EXTREMELY convenient as the companies I owed money to had all sent me giros and paying books to clear their debts. Well in the course of paying these at Post Offices there was always a £1.00 charge once a month (about 10 different debts a month to be paid) so it saved me a tenner a month in Post Office charges and also I didnt have to go out to the Post Office a couple of times a week after work. I came home, put my feet up and the bailiff came to me....not bad!

Anyway, just be HONEST with 'em play your part in any agreement  (pay what you say you will) and then go full time.

This is very true....

I know someone paying a £2,000 credit card off at £1.00 a month.

She'll be 166 once its cleared.

birdymiller

« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2009, 10:40:39 am »
My advice would be start now work your socks off during the summer looking for extra work gutters gardens etc and keep canvaasing for more window work. Come the autumn you should have got a bit more work, but if you are still struggling work nights in a factory or like somone said xmas job at asda for a couple of days. Your first winter will be the hardest along wioth your first tax bill. But get cracking mate you'll only get out of it what you are prepared to put into it. I was a retail manager with a national chain after i finshed uni, but still preffered this lifestyle as it fits in with my family. Ive worked part-time and nights to start off with but during the summer you will get loads of extra little jobs to keep you going.

Good luck

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2009, 10:43:24 am »
I hear bankruptcy is meant to be quite fashionable these days.

birdymiller

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2009, 10:47:43 am »
Matt you live along time round your neck of the woods 166 ,1353 cant be bad.

I was going to say how old are you to get £20000 in debt and then pay it off but being 1353 explains alot

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2009, 10:49:31 am »
 ;D