Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

wellsy43

another newbie
« on: June 19, 2009, 02:31:40 pm »
After a year working for someone else,using my own equipment and  getting £6 per hour from the time i start the first job to when i finish the last. I realised i was getting about 15% while he was on 85%, so i thought bugger this and started out on my own.

So a month ago i told him i could only work for him 2 days a week as i was starting in a different area. Now he tells me he wants to work the area ive picked, but also everywhere ive canvassed has already got a regular w/c.

To date ive picked up 12 jobs and not sure where to go from here.I'm in surrey and i reckon the world and his wife are window cleaners....aaaaarrghhh!!!

Tim82

Re: another newbie
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 03:15:09 pm »
Keep at it, you'll pick em up.

cozy

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 04:31:32 pm »
Hi Wellsy, if the canvassing is not working at all I would trawl through this forum and take a look at what others have done. Take what you want from the tips and try different things. as soon as you find what works well for you, you will start making bigger steps toward your target, if you see what I mean.

I know you're not expecting it to be easy, you're right, but when your round is big enough you will see it's worth it. This forum helps you to see that we all go through the same problems. Even old farts like me. Been in this game years and still pick up lots of ideas and tips.

mlscontractcleaner

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 04:32:49 pm »
Canvass in the evenings, when people are home from work; or at weekend, again, when people tend to be home. You could pick up more work in a couple of hours during those times than a whole day spent walking the streets at other times.

I used to cavass for the following week all the time; working during the day, doing the work canvassed the previous week. At least that way you're always earning too.

Also, if the guy you're working for now wants to work in the area you've just canvassed and gets silly just undercut the work you were doing for him; I'm assuming you know the prices he charges. A little underhand I agree but if he does get silly you have to be more silly  ;)
Come and talk dirty to us!!!

R W C

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 04:42:53 pm »
Keep at it mate, the 1st year is tough but by the next summer you wont look back, I cant see you needing many propertys to cover your previous wage,

Think some on here need to see that when you pay your employe rubbish money you wont hold on to them.

Chris

ZaNo

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2009, 04:43:34 pm »
Where abouts in surrey?

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2009, 04:58:02 pm »
As others have said. Keep plugging away and you will get what you need.

If your old boss was paying £6 an hour he was asking for it quite frankly.

andyjm1

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2009, 06:14:30 pm »
If you want to pick up work don't canvass in obvious places like big housing estates. I got a lot of my work from canvassing on main roads where parking is awkward. Most window cleaners would much rather work in a quiet cul-de-sac, so you'll find work easier to come by.
If you're wfp, look for houses with leaded windows as trad cleaners hate them because it takes them a lot longer.
Good luck, it will be worth the hard work.

ZaNo

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2009, 06:34:21 pm »

windowswashed

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2009, 06:47:29 pm »
Inform your customers you are building your round up and if your customers are happy with your work to recommend you to their friends and families to help it grow quicker.

R W C

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2009, 06:48:56 pm »

R W C

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2009, 06:58:54 pm »
youve got it spot on with the 3 cleans equal a free clean,

windowswashed

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2009, 07:01:30 pm »
ive been doing that, it seems like a good idea cos i got 2 more custys from one clean. thats the only time it has happened so far but im hoping it will happen again...soon. although one drawback, and help me out if u think this is a good tip, she said if she recommends me does she get a discount? i told her that after ive done 3 cleans of anyone she recommends i'll clean her windows once for free.

Fair enough to offer an incentive to customers who are willing to recommend friends after 3 cleans. Also try and get in with mobile hairdressers as they are good for networking. Same with tradesmen, painters, decorators, etc for networking jobs/ customers for each other.

ZaNo

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2009, 09:07:55 pm »
Goldsworth,Knaphill,West end side you?
I have hardly got enough work for myself let alone dishin it out :P I know what you mean though its so hard to pick up work around here theres around 500 window cleaners!!