Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

[GQC] Tim

Wear on joints and such with wfp.
« on: June 18, 2009, 10:28:12 pm »
Had a bit of a revelation today, I noticed my back was getting worse and worse, tilting to one side. The chiropractor diagnosed me with a anatomically shorter left leg, by 9mm. I had X-rays to confirm this. Now, I did know this, was diagnosed with it when I was about 13, and I'm now 25, but totally forgot about it.

But she could see another issue because of me basically leaning more on one leg then the other due to that difference in leg height. The left hip socket (is that the right word? Where the hip joint joins the ball joint of the leg), anyway, it wasn't perfectly smooth anymore, unlike the right hip socket which was perfectly smooth.

Also, she could see I did quite a bit of lifting when I was younger, (I had a job at a grocery store, lifting 25Kg crates now and then) she could see that on the lower vertibraes there was a bit of wear.

Now.....how much wear on your joints does wfp give? Many ladder people I know do feel their knees after years of service, but how about us? Most of us have done wfp less then 5 years, so apart from RSI and tennis elbows and such, what is the wear on our shoulders, arms and other body parts?

I must say it does worry me a bit, I'm 25, and quite fit, but even now I have already got a bit of wear on my joints. What about the joints I use for wfp?? :o  :(

Re: Wear on joints and such with wfp.
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 10:32:51 pm »
My right shoulder plays up mostly, if anything. Particularly after having the pole fully extended on a long reach over something.

Im investing in lighter kit now, the SL brush and SL-X poles.

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 10:34:06 pm »
But most of this is all muscle related strains, which can all be helped, but what about the deeper wear under the surface? The wear must add up, and is still there long after your muscles stop hurting.

Simon@ Clearview contractors

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 10:34:17 pm »
It's brought on sciatica but almost cured my tendonitis.

Sciatica/trapped nerve in the hip(feels like it's coming from the centre of your butt cheek) is excrutiating.  If anyone get's it, I would strongly recommend an inversion table.

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 10:36:12 pm »

Sciatica/trapped nerve in the hip(feels like it's coming from the centre of your butt cheek) is excrutiating.  If anyone get's it, I would strongly recommend an inversion table.

My goodness, that sounds awful. Wfpers stand really awkward in front of the window, not straight, but sort of stepped to the side, I have noticed it gives me quite a sore hip and lower back muscles, especially the side to side motions. After a long day it's like they are on fire.

I've got a heel lift now, which hopefully will make me balanced again, and not so sore. It made me all dizzy and I walked like a snail, all my muscles are having to readjust themselves back to normal. I felt awful, thought every step I was going to put my back out!

matt

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 10:36:48 pm »
i suffered from a neck pain for a fair while whilst using WFP

i then went and tried the " fishing pole " and it went in a few days, shocking really on how fast it went

use the lightest of the light kit you can get and that must help

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 10:37:40 pm »

i then went and tried the " fishing pole " and it went in a few days, shocking really on how fast it went

I think I will in time. Even an SL-X is considered heavy compared to a fishing pole, or top section of an SL2.

ftp

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2009, 10:44:12 pm »
Strange neck pain for me - sort of accross the collar bone. Regularly suffer from bad bouts of tennis elbow brought on by scrubbing hard on conservatory roofs and cleaning sills.

gary999

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2009, 10:44:26 pm »
some of us are more prone to injury than others its the natural
order of things.

im 41 now and for twenty years i spent dragging chain around that weighed
25kgs per mtr across the ground often in ten to fifteen mtr lengths never had a
injury always felt physically fit.

been window cleaning three yrs,1st year on ladders again kept me fit
never a injury switched to wfp using microbore all light stuff started getting aches
and pains i put on weight and hurt me sodding back bending down to wind
the microbore back in >:(

bought a back pack just after christmas lugging it about and refilling from
barrels i have lost weight strengthened my body again and regained some
of the fitness i had lost.

i would do what suits you to keep yourself fit and healthy,physically
no one is the same and what works for one isnt necessary the same for another.

matt

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2009, 10:46:07 pm »

I think I will in time. Even an SL-X is considered heavy compared to a fishing pole, or top section of an SL2.

i used the SL-X with a local guy and whilst its a nice bit of kit and alot lighter than those heavy FGlass poles

the fishing pole is in another league, it really is very light

i guess that above remark will mean i will not get a keyring  ;)

johns window kleen

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2009, 10:48:25 pm »
Funny enough a lot of my aches and pains appear to have been caused by dehydration,or at least this contributed.

I used to wake up every morning and limp around {like Ledley King after playing 3 consecutive games} for about an hour. I used to get neck aches and hip pains every day until I started drinking upto 4 litres of water whilst working.

Now the aches and pains are milder, and the neck aches completely gone, so in theory I can work harder and earn more each day, but in reality I spend more time in Tesco's or Sainsbury's having a pee, and earn less.

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2009, 10:57:34 pm »
Funny enough a lot of my aches and pains appear to have been caused by dehydration,or at least this contributed.

I used to wake up every morning and limp around {like Ledley King after playing 3 consecutive games} for about an hour. I used to get neck aches and hip pains every day until I started drinking upto 4 litres of water whilst working.

Now the aches and pains are milder, and the neck aches completely gone, so in theory I can work harder and earn more each day, but in reality I spend more time in Tesco's or Sainsbury's having a pee, and earn less.

Very good tip, I've heard that before. Sodas and coffee etc isn't very good, but water hydrates, and keeps the muscles supple, or so I was told.

Problem is the frequent visits to the toilet.  ::)  :)

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2009, 07:35:56 am »
i guess that above remark will mean i will not get a keyring  ;)

Course you can have a keyring  :).  If I'd been able to remember your surname you'd have got one sooner but you can email Kirsty direct.

Mrs A

Sapphire Window Cleaning

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2009, 07:37:29 am »
I had a massage last week form a legitimate massuer lol
My problem is my neck and shoulders, full of knots and tense.

Matt
Reaching parts traditional window cleaners can not reach.

gary999

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2009, 07:57:31 am »

good advice that, hydration extremely important to how well the body
operates ive always drank 3-4 litres of water everyday more if its hot
and never touch tea or coffee, god dam awful stuff :)

« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2009, 08:09:13 am »
I had a massage last week form a legitimate massuer lol

Matt

Feeling guilty with that last comment??  ;) :D :D

Window Washers

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2009, 08:12:39 am »
Tim do you not wear a raised shoe to correct your hip height ?

If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

cozy

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2009, 09:12:34 am »
Bloody hell, I thought at 51 I have been lucky. Started to feel really knackered after a normal working day (5 hours actual work), so booked myself into a gym. Done mostly stamina building exercise and started to notice a difference after half a dozen visits.

Never got any repetetive problems but I do get some sort of infection in the shoulder areas every couple of years. Antibiotics take a week or so to clear it.

Just been lucky i 'spose. Not had WFP to test yet, but I was under the impression that the kit isn't heavy. I drink a couple of ltrs water a day but wasn't aware that tea and coffee is bad for me, I thought fluids are good.

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2009, 09:17:20 am »
Tim do you not wear a raised shoe to correct your hip height ?

I've got a shoe insert now, which helps loads, I finally feel straight again. (lol)

seandyer2003

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2009, 09:21:28 am »

Oh man, i have been getting that and wondered what the frig it was, i get it on my right side. At bottom of back on right like my kidneys were hurting but it goes through butt and into groin too.....

Not had it for a week or so , but not really done much work this week :)

But after a day or two at work it kills me in the evening, i cant get comfortable. i was lieing on the living room floor all night a week or two back...