Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Feen

How do you pay workers
« on: June 18, 2009, 07:16:32 pm »
I have had a student helping me this week. it's the first time I've done this and wonder what you think is the best and fairest way to pay someone like this. My guy is very pleasant, hard working and presentable. I'm weighing up all the stuff involved such as he's using my equipment to clean my customers' windows, traveling in my van. So far I've paid him by the hour whilst working, nothing whilst traveling between jobs. What do you do and if paying by the hour like this, how much per hour? Or do you pay so much per day regardless of the work done?
Thanks
Feen

Re: How do you pay workers
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 07:28:23 pm »
Your not paying him whilst travelling between jobs?

Although you pay him by the hour.

Sounds like you want the best of both worlds at his cost.

I walk if I was him.

That needs sorting straight away.

I doubt you'd have a leg to stand on in a tribunal.

dave0123

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 07:31:18 pm »
You carn't not pay him well traveling  ??? that wont last five mins.

plus you have to pay mim wage anyway
Dave.

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 07:35:53 pm »
Also, it sounds like it could encourage him to drive without due care on a day when he was a bit skint.  If he had an accident and someone got hurt or worse, that could get you into deep doodoo as well as him if a prosecutor wanted to turn the knife.
I know it was in the USA but some years ago, someone who was a victim in an accident, succesfully sued a pizza delivery company that promised delivery within a certain timeframe.  They succesfully argued that the promise caused their driver to drive in a careless manner and contributed towards the victim's injuries.
Mind you, that was America.  They sue you for farting too loud over there.

NWH

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 07:39:01 pm »
That made me LMAOnot paying him getting from job to job blimey have you got a stopwatch in the van lol. ;D ;D ;D

macmac

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 07:40:28 pm »
I wouldn't pay him at all if he's a student, 'bart time they did some real work anyway. It should be his pleasure to oblige!!! ;) ;)

Just tell him he's on works experience! ;D

macmac

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 07:52:17 pm »
My guy is very pleasant, hard working and presentable.   

Are you sure he's a student? :o

matt

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2009, 07:55:27 pm »
i guess this is a cash in hand type of thing ? ? ? ?

how about a % of the work he does ? ? ? ?

wfp master

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2009, 07:59:26 pm »
tite ass u must travel along way betwen jobs.get your hand in your pocket. bet you can peel an orange in your pocket. ;D ;D

martinsadie

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2009, 08:01:56 pm »
its not his fault that your round isnt compact

Feen

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2009, 08:21:00 pm »
It's no wonder I don't post on here much now. What a load of rubbish replied. Matt & Dave - you didn't ask how much I was paying him when he was working. Quite well imo. Or how much of the day was spent working and how much travelling. For example, first job today 20 mins to job, 3 hours working, 15 mins to next. Leap- he was a passenger in my van !! NWH - read above. As usual you don't read the post, just react. Matt - this was what I was what I was thinking and asking advice on. What percentage do you suggest. Stan - who said it wasn't compact? If you mean by that, not having to move the van all day, then no it's not that compact. But hey, this is the real world.
Feen

Sapphire Window Cleaning

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2009, 08:24:26 pm »
When I employ anyone its down as casual labour, I pay them £50 per day for that I expect a minimum £120 of work from them.
Reaching parts traditional window cleaners can not reach.

matt

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2009, 08:27:40 pm »
It's no wonder I don't post on here much now. What a load of rubbish replied. Matt & Dave - you didn't ask how much I was paying him when he was working. Quite well imo. Or how much of the day was spent working and how much travelling. For example, first job today 20 mins to job, 3 hours working, 15 mins to next. Leap- he was a passenger in my van !! NWH - read above. As usual you don't read the post, just react. Matt - this was what I was what I was thinking and asking advice on. What percentage do you suggest. Stan - who said it wasn't compact? If you mean by that, not having to move the van all day, then no it's not that compact. But hey, this is the real world.

i guess the first matt you replied to wasnt me

as for the 2nd reply to matt ( i guess me ) , you will need to work out your overheads, what you want to earn off his back ( so to speak ), if i was a worker i would be expecting 70 % of the work i do ( 30 % for your costs and overheads and a little profit )

just my opinion, i expect people will rubbish it and say " you dont know anything as you dont employ "

when i used to have some1 doing part of my round ( my estate as it happens ) i used to get between 10 & 20 % per job, but that was only because it was my estate and the guy would park his car outside my house and walk around ( thus had no overheads )

Feen

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2009, 08:32:35 pm »
Thanks Matt, First sensible reply, which stacks up fairly well with what I've been doing. Today I reckon I got £80- £90 worth of work from him and paid him £40. After this week, I know he is OK and can do the job and so I'll pay him better. But, I also know that if he can get a job that is 12 hour shifts he'll go for it, because I can't give him that much work.
Feen

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2009, 08:36:33 pm »
When you say the first sensible reply, do you mean the first one you have some element of agreement with, the first that hasnt offended you or the first that hasnt implied youre going about this all wrong?

You see, as I see it, youve said in reply to my response that I havent asked how much you pay him whilst working on job, well, you cant justify one wrong with a right. Its wrong to not pay him for a portion of the day even if he isnt actually being productive. You want his time, you have to pay for it; regardless.

If you wont listen here I suggest you ask someone whos qualified to answer you, may I suggest the CAB?

Im sure their response will be sensible AND will dispute your opinion.

Feen

« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2009, 08:39:20 pm »
Lots of Matts ;D Matt with the smiley campervan thanks. I'm not getting too hung up on this as it is a temporary situation. Said student will go back to uni. He has been a great help and as long as things go on I'll pay him well. The question (which I was ridiculed for) was how best to do it. I'm not going to pay top dollar to someone who has never cleaned a window before and may walk off after day one.
Feen

Feen

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2009, 08:47:56 pm »
OK Matt @ Oakley. I take your point, but consider this. On the way to the job, I earn nothing. I only earn when I'm on site, which is why I am paying him on the same basis. I could pay him by the hour or day from when I pick him up until I drop him off. I would pay him a  lower rate than I do by paying him when he's working. This was the point of posting this question. What's the best way and the fairest way to do it? Bear in mind this guy wants some work, paid cash and then will go back to uni. Say I pay him £50 per day and it rains so hard we can't work for half of that. He's earning regardless and I'm not !
Feen

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2009, 08:51:47 pm »
Theres no such thing as a perfect world.

IMO thats one of the downsides of employing.

Which SHOULD be counterbalanced by the work he produces when he can work; hopefully so the eventual outcome is you gain financially and so does he. Its swings and roundabouts.

Feen

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2009, 09:01:15 pm »
Ok Matt @ Oakley, let's draw a line there. You have you opinion  and what you don't seem to be able to grasp is that I have shown the guy how to clean, with my equipment and it's short term. He is NOT a long term employee. He is here now, may be gone tomorrow. He's a great help, not an employee. End of story.
Feen

ronnie paton

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2009, 09:08:02 pm »
wont last long, you should either pay him a day rate better than £40 or pay him a hourly rate of more than min wage to start.

It may take time to get him up to speed but when you do it will be worth it, tell him were he can go (what he can earn ) when up to speed.

Has for pay him 70% omg you may has well not bother employing