This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

NWH

Re: How do you pay workers
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2009, 09:19:23 pm »
You have put you don`t pay him for driving between jobs or did i read it wrong,you also say he`s using your equipment well i would say that was obvious seen as he`s working from your van.The way you`ve put it you come across as a real tight git lol,if you want someone good and reliable there`s no getting away from it you have to pay well and show some respect and you might get a bit back.Saying your not paying him when driving from job to job is a joke.

luther1

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2009, 09:55:19 pm »
I saw the cook in McDonalds today using their griddle and not his own,what a cheek. If you have to drive a distance to jobs then they should be priced accordingly. Wind your neck in and don't insult him.

sgibsoncleaning

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2009, 10:17:01 pm »
shocking attitudes to hiring staff nowdays. friend of mine applied for a window cleaning job, offering minimum wage. when he went for the interview they told him how many jobs they expected him to do a day. it was a joke. any body a bit clever would take the job do it for a few months then undercut by a quid and take the lot. the customer still has the same window cleaner and a bit cheaper.  that was my advice to him.
but i spose he would be using their kit so the wage is ok.
if i worked in a shop i am sure i would expect a deduction for wear and tear on the till buttons.

seandyer2003

« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2009, 10:21:14 pm »
tite ass u must travel along way betwen jobs.get your hand in your pocket. bet you can peel an orange in your pocket. ;D ;D

I bet goes the long way round hahahaha

You obviously dont have enough work to employ if you are having to do that, and dont know how or what to pay,,,, hes not a roman soldier you cant give him part salt, he needs money :) And to be on your books etc

I started a lad last week, never cleaned a window in his life, i still gave him £50 a day, and when he gets quicker it will go up, end of, he is an employee not a slave, you really need to incentivize people, not think oh hes a student he doesnt wanna be here anyway...

NWH

« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2009, 10:24:28 pm »
Give it a week and you`ll need a plaster on that blister you`ll have on your thumb from that stop watch lol. ;D ;D ;D

Sapphire Window Cleaning

« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2009, 10:26:08 pm »
I would have him work 3 days a week £150 per week, he can clean 2 days a week and drop flyers on the 3rd day.
Reaching parts traditional window cleaners can not reach.

matt

« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2009, 10:34:22 pm »
Thanks Matt, First sensible reply, which stacks up fairly well with what I've been doing. Today I reckon I got £80- £90 worth of work from him and paid him £40. After this week, I know he is OK and can do the job and so I'll pay him better. But, I also know that if he can get a job that is 12 hour shifts he'll go for it, because I can't give him that much work.

your welcome

When you say the first sensible reply, do you mean the first one you have some element of agreement with, the first that hasnt offended you or the first that hasnt implied youre going about this all wrong?

Oi, watch it

its not often my posts get called a " sensible reply "  ;)

Sapphire Window Cleaning

« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2009, 11:03:16 pm »
was he refering to your post or mine lol  ;D

« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2009, 11:08:11 pm »
Thanks Matt, First sensible reply, which stacks up fairly well with what I've been doing. Today I reckon I got £80- £90 worth of work from him and paid him £40. After this week, I know he is OK and can do the job and so I'll pay him better. But, I also know that if he can get a job that is 12 hour shifts he'll go for it, because I can't give him that much work.

your welcome

When you say the first sensible reply, do you mean the first one you have some element of agreement with, the first that hasnt offended you or the first that hasnt implied youre going about this all wrong?

Oi, watch it

its not often my posts get called a " sensible reply "  ;)

:P   ;)

dave0123

« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2009, 12:21:23 am »
lol

Well if you was on one job for 3 hours and 20 mins driving why not pay him a little extra for the time traveling if its only 20 mins?  you can't do much traveling throughout the day if u have big jobs like that.
Dave.

windowswashed

« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2009, 01:43:16 am »
Wait until you employ someone on a PAYE and you have to do the NI stamps, wages and everything else like sickness payments if he/she is off work, holiday pay, etc.

If you are desperately seeking answers about how much to pay a casual worker perhaps you should take time out to compact your round or increase your prices for jobs that are spread out to make it worthwhile before you consider employing someone else in the near future.

You need to inform your accountant who will in turn inform the tax man of your casual labourer even if he is a student. There are forms to fill out for him even if you are paying him cash method in his earnings. It's pointless employing someone illegally because the whole point of employing is to expand your business in time but you can't if your employee doesn't exist on paper to the taxman.

Most importantly before you profit financially from his hard work, you have an obligation  for his safety whilst he is at work as he is your employee and you need to have employers insurance for him to cover yourself.

windowswashed

« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2009, 01:49:05 am »
One last thing, if you are a father , how would you feel if your son or daughter was working for a company that fiddles the tax system. If your son/daughter had a serious accident you are in for one hell of a nightmare with the courts trying to seek compensation for the illegally employed worker.

« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2009, 05:40:33 am »
It's no wonder I don't post on here much now. What a load of rubbish replied. Matt & Dave - you didn't ask how much I was paying him when he was working. Quite well imo. Or how much of the day was spent working and how much travelling. For example, first job today 20 mins to job, 3 hours working, 15 mins to next. Leap- he was a passenger in my van !! NWH - read above. As usual you don't read the post, just react. Matt - this was what I was what I was thinking and asking advice on. What percentage do you suggest. Stan - who said it wasn't compact? If you mean by that, not having to move the van all day, then no it's not that compact. But hey, this is the real world.

It seems that, in this case, posting "rubbish" means that either someone posts something that is incorrect because you don't provide enough information or that someone simply disagrees with you.
If I had to avoid paying someone for travelling time, I'd rather not bother employing.
Like you say, maybe it's as well you don't post much.
You post rubbish and then accuse others of just that.

Sapphire Window Cleaning

« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2009, 07:35:33 am »
Wayne I employ guys sometimes, when I am running behind and they are available.
I employ them as casual staff and they are on my books as self employed so they are responsible for their own NI and tax.
Less headache for me lol
and my insurance covers me to employ 3 staff for a maximum of 45 days each per year. or 1 guy for 135 days.
I also have employers liability too. I pay £580 per year for both.

Matt

« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2009, 08:18:46 am »
Wow a lot of opinions here!

With casual work I have always paid them a % of gross. I think if you are going to pay by the hour you should pay from leaving home to returning home or base. If that means a slightly lower rate than now so be it.

I once as a teenager was paid by the hour AS WE WORKED! Literally! As each hour went by he gave me my £2.00 if we had a break he would start his stopwatch after the break. Personally I felt a bit cheated. I would rather have been told at the end of the day you have earned £15 than had it in dribs and drabs, it was a while ago mind.

Even with casual work they need to feel valued and not being paid for all of their time if on an hourly will make them feel undervalued. If however you are paying £20 ph while working he is earning well, but again, you must have come to a conclusion somehow about his rate. I would work out how and therefore pay %.

Look at 20-25% gross. See how that works next time he is with you.

LSB

« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2009, 01:11:58 pm »
to avoid a day rate and then it rains , you should consider an hourly rate £7 - £10 per hour ( inc sitting in the van ) , some days you will earn more than others . if it rains and you go home after 4 and a half hours , then thats what you pay him for ! you could also get him to canvass / leaflet on some of his days / rainy afternoons just to keep him interested and earning something .

Helen

« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2009, 01:36:30 pm »
OK Matt @ Oakley. I take your point, but consider this. On the way to the job, I earn nothing.
Did you not calculate travelling time in your costs? ???

I only earn when I'm on site, which is why I am paying him on the same basis. I could pay him by the hour or day from when I pick him up until I drop him off. I would pay him a  lower rate than I do by paying him when he's working. This was the point of posting this question. What's the best way and the fairest way to do it? Bear in mind this guy wants some work, paid cash
aaah , hush hush hey, then no point in asking for advise if he is not legally on the books
 and then will go back to uni. Say I pay him £50 per day and it rains so hard we can't work for half of that. He's earning regardless and I'm not !
If on the books you could have had a contract stating no work no pay