This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

seandyer2003

Cradles
« on: June 17, 2009, 03:12:45 pm »
Anyone use them, just quoted for a job with them, and i spoke to h &s consultant who told me they are responsible for training us, but i just wondered if any of you know anything about tusing them? Did you get sent on a course or do one yourself, or do nothing???

Rob_Mac

Re: Cradles
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 03:16:45 pm »
Person for this one is Ian Lancaster. Might be on the other forum.

Rob ;D

seandyer2003

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 03:19:56 pm »
Thanks Rob :)

Had a good week for quotes this week, got this one, and my old school :)

By the other one you mean acs, or scsf :)??? too many int there

Rob_Mac

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 03:24:33 pm »
Sounds like a excellent week. Meant Pros - I think he is on there regular

Rob ;D

JSMC

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 03:27:21 pm »
make sure the company have insuranc eto use it. insuranc efor these costs ££££££££££. my college never used theirs as the insurance was way to expensive

Rob_Mac

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 03:28:38 pm »
Might want to look here as well - www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/misc611.pdf

Rob ;D

seandyer2003

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2009, 03:29:11 pm »
My insurance company said i am covered to any height and so its okay,

Didnt think about them,,, they said everything is up to date, but didnt ask about insurance, as i thought it was just me that would need it :)

thanks

seandyer2003

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2009, 03:30:35 pm »
Cheers, just finished that wc nvq last week as well, and learned alot about cradles there, and the hands that goes with them , glad i did it now, or i wouldnt of touched this job otherwise as i would of been to far out of my depth, i still am a little bit - but that means progress :)

pepperminttoo

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2009, 06:44:15 pm »
The issue about cradles is that you must be trained by a competent person on every cradle. This means that even if you use the same make of cradle on two buildings you still have to be trained on each. The training has to be done by a competent person. Personally, if a H&S consultant offered to train my employees and he had not been trained in the use of the specific cradle then I wouldn't use him. Generally, training is by the manufacturer, installer, or maintenance company.
Before you use the cradle always check that the annual maintenance has been completed otherwise your insurance will not be valid. Also check that the cradle insurance inspection has been done- these are quarterly.
Is it a new build or existing- may help with respect to the training.
You will need a specific risk assessment that covers the use of the cradle. You may also need leashes for all your tools as well as harnesses for the operators.

seandyer2003

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2009, 07:18:44 pm »
I need harnesses anyway for some of the windows to be done from inside, training is being done by cradle maintenance company, £220 for 2 of us, we are gonna get it done onsite on the day they service the cradle, spoke to building manager today so it seems like i should land the job, obviously only going to do the training if we are successfull, so just waiting to hear back, RA, MS is easy i can do that....

ronnie paton

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2009, 09:08:30 pm »
sean check you insurance they have been know to some times not know what there talking about, i know this has i looked into you need more than a normal insurance has this is high risk.

were did you finish the NVQ??

brighouse_wc_trad

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2009, 09:09:57 pm »
i was asked to quote for that new huge building in centre manchester early this year and that had a cradle in and out. i rang loads of different companies who advertised on the net saying they did the training. however, i rang the fed and they gave me a number of the professional body for cradles. up shot was, they told me that the training had to done by the manufacturers or a company appointed by the manufacturers only. they said it was the only way to ensure ra, ms & insurance conditions are met. the quote you have had was a lot cheaper than the ones i was given. that was from a german firm for over a grand for each cradle (probably more now as quote was in euros). i got the job, but the cleaning firm i was subbing didn't get there bit so i couldn't do the job as i wasn't allowed as balfour only deal with companies on there procurement approved list. gutted.
Mother Nature will have the last laugh, then carry on without us.

seandyer2003

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2009, 09:17:23 pm »
I can do the training, its the insurance im worried about with what you say ronnie, will check with them again :(

ronnie paton

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2009, 10:00:45 pm »
sean do mate my mum does insurance, mine covers up to 25m but not if using rope access bosun chair or craddle has this is a different ball game.

Sean would love to see you in a ction on the craddle and what your thoughts are on it some time.

seandyer2003

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2009, 10:12:36 pm »
sean do mate my mum does insurance, mine covers up to 25m but not if using rope access bosun chair or craddle has this is a different ball game.

Sean would love to see you in a ction on the craddle and what your thoughts are on it some time.

Haha i would probably cack my pants, its on 4-5 floors but high still!!

I knew it would be more on insurance, but im stuck now coz i rang the insurance company who said its ok, so i stuck a pretty cheap price in so i hope i dont have to shell out for insurance, already loosing alot on first clean by the time i pay for training, and wages and harnesses, but at least its all there then for future, and next time round im quids in as should be able to knock it out in a day as we can start as early as we want...

I will ring allied tomorrow, will only need the insurance a few times a year so hope its reasonable

ronnie paton

« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2009, 09:02:00 pm »
allied is who im with,  they have a thing were you tell them the percentage of work which is craddle and the percentage that is wfp ect ect so if its a small amount of turnover it may not affect to much?

so is it in the centre of town??? never used one but always wanted to

seandyer2003

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2009, 10:54:39 pm »
Yeah, you quoting too haha

I still havent rang, will do tommorow, got carried away printing leaflets today wanna expand my residential and do alot of one offs whilst got help :)

Been taking it too easy lately, taking time off instead of filling the gaps, and the year is slipping by fast so gotta get moving :)

ronnie paton

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2009, 11:01:15 pm »
nah wouldnt do that pal, didnt get hotel but didnt get proper feed back was dissapointed, it priced it about 11k and that including all internal external roof beams reception ect ect

i may have a day or two every 6 weeks coming up so ill keep you in mind its 495 appartments i know how many hahah

seandyer2003

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2009, 09:22:33 am »
Yeah definitely, thats alot innit, its obviously over a few different blocks?

By the sounds of it they will of employed an abseiling contractor? Theres soo much competition in town its hard to break in, alot of the time contractors are coming from elsewhere like liverpool etc...

ronnie paton

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2009, 12:20:04 pm »
but there paying p nuts and getting a poor quality????

they complain about the other window cleaners not doing the schedule and then they go for some one cheaper????? obviously it is going to get woe=rse rather than better?