This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Milltown Cleaning

business direction
« on: June 16, 2009, 09:23:14 pm »
how do you guys decide when the time is right to do a certain thing in your business or when to take the business in a different direction? do you just go by gut feeling, ask loads and loads of people or crunch loads of numbers!?

just a few things at the moment with my business that im deciding and others arent always in agreement, but they feel right by me.

cozy

Re: business direction
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 11:26:57 pm »
perfectly clear Ewan, as usual

mr D

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 11:38:30 pm »
 ???

cozy

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 11:43:32 pm »
Fair enough cozy,

What ever he decides to do with his business, as long as he doesn’t risk to much (the down side) he can do what he likes regardless of the outcome.

Most important thing is to protect the down side first, then go about your business, because there are no guarantees of success.

Clear enough?

Clear as mud........as usual ???

Rob_Mac

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 11:47:44 pm »
Build your core business, window cleaning, UPVC & conservatory roof cleaning to the point where it is saturated, condense the work, get rid of the crap and then condense it again. At this point you will be at a crossroads but your business will be strong and should be self building.

Any decisions you make to move away from the core business will not affect revenue or lifestyle. Opportunities will come to your business throughout its life, you are running your business and if you can do it and hold your core business together go for it!!. It may cost you financially if you fail but you have that buffer.

My business has been fortunate and is fortunate to have the CV and experience it has but nobody gave me anything I worked my balls off and when the big breaks came I went with them but I always had a very large and high calibre round to fall back on.

I am building a second round, in a different area, domestic and am having massive success, the UPVC cleans are flying in, done 3 and 4 more to do this week.

Milltown - you only need to have one line of advice. Be the very best in what you do, everything else will fall into place, if you remember to be the very best every day!!!

Good luck

Rob ;D

cozy

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 11:51:53 pm »
Build your core business, window cleaning, UPVC & conservatory roof cleaning to the point where it is saturated, condense the work, get rid of the crap and then condense it again. At this point you will be at a crossroads but your business will be strong and should be self building.

Any decisions you make to move away from the core business will not affect revenue or lifestyle. Opportunities will come to your business throughout its life, you are running your business and if you can do it and hold your core business together go for it!!. It may cost you financially if you fail but you have that buffer.

My business has been fortunate and is fortunate to have the CV and experience it has but nobody gave me anything I worked my balls off and when the big breaks came I went with them but I always had a very large and high calibre round to fall back on.

I am building a second round, in a different area, domestic and am having massive success, the UPVC cleans are flying in, done 3 and 4 more to do this week.

Milltown - you only need to have one line of advice. Be the very best in what you do, everything else will fall into place, if you remember to be the very best every day!!!

Good luck

Rob ;D

Now that does make sense

Rob_Mac

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2009, 09:28:51 am »
Ewan

This is not an attack but I am interested to know more about you, there is no sign of a website on your profile and there are words on here that you post but what about the person behind them. I see you come under attack quite a lot and this is not itended to be one of those posts but as soon as someone posts something I like to know about them, where they are coming from, where their business is at and who they are??

As far as risk free advice - nothing risk free about that business model and it is damn hard work.

I cleaned a black UPVC yesterday and when I had pressure washed the guttering out, pressure washed the whole lot and then cleaned with wfp I stood back four times till I was happy with the end product - which was actually white!!!

I have spent nine years honing my business to make it work for me and earn me a lot more than the going rate in my area.

I priced another UPVC last Friday and cleaned it on Monday, the price was £120.00, 3 storey town house but semi detached. I had over priced it by about £40.00 and I told the chap I wanted £80.00 for the job, settled on £100.00 and have gained a new window cleaning customer, did the job in no time and will probably get next door as a new customer as well, both houses will be £2.00 more than they are currently paying.

The decision to give money back will pay dividends for a long time to come and I have gained a customer who trusts me and he will tell people about that, that was a risk (small - granted) but still a risk, the bloke could have taken the p. I have risked massively on my business development and anyone following that formula will not have an easy ride but through quality of end product and personal qualities your path will be smoother than someone elses.

I nearly broke myself when I stepped onto the store cleaning programme and the risks lasted for about 12 months!! but I had a secure residential round to fall back on.

For nine years I have continually improved and stood back and checked, I still don't leave a house without checking the end product, even though I could clean a window traditionally or with WFP with my eyes closed. There is nothing wrong with making a secure base for future development but that isn't to say that that is risk free.

My website is www.m-clean.co.uk, that is me, that is what I do, that is how I do it but what that doesn't show is the mentality of the person behind it and I thrive on risk!!!

Tell me about you, I am genuinely interested

Rob ;D

Milltown Cleaning

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2009, 10:29:37 am »
well here is the position i find myself in at the minute that is getting me thinking....

I currently operate from a VW passat 03 and a trailer. The passat is in good condition, for now, so i thought i would sell it on whilst i could still get a decent price for it and get a van. I feel the van would leave me more flexible and more professional looking. But certain people have concerns that its too early in my business (about 6months on my own) and i should wait a while.

The 2nd thinker is the work im doing. ive been trying to build a window round, have a few customers but they are all over the place. Im having trouble getting people in, getting paid and things like that. on the other hand i have been having good success with the powerwashing, fascia cleaning and spouting cleaning. So i was thinking of starting to push this side of my business more whilst slowly building window round. Once again there have been concerns from people, "window cleaning is a constant earner whereas the other might onlty be once a year"

with both ive just been going with what feels right, a gut feeling you might say.

bluez

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2009, 12:20:58 pm »
Milltown,
I don't think you have any major decisions to make at the moment by the sound of it. Keep building your round both Window and upvc cleaning and upgrade your vehicle and equipment as finances allow. Changing your vehicle is only a major decision if you are stretching the finances to achieve it.

It also sounds like you need to put some effort into the systems behind your business in order to speed up the collection of money etc.

Have you considered the sae or paypal options also I know that some on here charge late payment fees.

Building a round isn't a sprint it is a marathon and being patient is important don't rush it.

hi

shammy davis jnr

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2009, 01:25:39 pm »
good topic this me personaly if you fly to high you get burned ,just make sure you have a good cash flow left over each month for uniform ladder  van  wear and tear keep it in a safe place pay the morgage have a few beers then if the tax man aint had his share and there is some left in the pot your already winning .. the rest is the hard bit ....personaly i dont do debt ..and only do one our two big ones a mounth safe ones i mean by this they pay in time .dont put all your eggs in one basket with the big ones our it ties up cash flow our you can starve for 60 days but you have a good head on you and im sure you will get there good luck

Rob_Mac

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2009, 03:15:42 pm »
Ewan

You come in for a lot of flack on here - some of it not called for!!, you don't seem to let that bother you and neither should you. I wish you well in the future. A mountain is climbed one step at a time. Whatever the price of the latest job, go for it!!.

Milltown

It is easy to not see any pattern when starting up and you definitely do a lot more running around to try and make it happen.I never doorknocked and got business through leaflet and recommendation and it took me about 3 years before the round started to develop itself but then I couldn't understand why I couldn't break into commercial. It took about 4.5 years from starting before I got my first commercial works of any value. I can tell you I was massively frustrated because I knew I was better than the people I saw doing the works.

The people that have large and compact rounds never built them overnight. It takes years. Don't be in a hurry, I KNOW THAT IS EASIER SAID THAN DONE!!

Keep doing what you are doing, be the best every day and it will come to you.

Good luck

Rob ;D

seandyer2003

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2009, 03:36:04 pm »
Ewan

You come in for a lot of flack on here - some of it not called for!!, you don't seem to let that bother you and neither should you. I wish you well in the future. A mountain is climbed one step at a time. Whatever the price of the latest job, go for it!!.

Milltown

It is easy to not see any pattern when starting up and you definitely do a lot more running around to try and make it happen.I never doorknocked and got business through leaflet and recommendation and it took me about 3 years before the round started to develop itself but then I couldn't understand why I couldn't break into commercial. It took about 4.5 years from starting before I got my first commercial works of any value. I can tell you I was massively frustrated because I knew I was better than the people I saw doing the works.

The people that have large and compact rounds never built them overnight. It takes years. Don't be in a hurry, I KNOW THAT IS EASIER SAID THAN DONE!!

Keep doing what you are doing, be the best every day and it will come to you.

Good luck

Rob ;D

I quote commercial regularly, and have yet to gather enough jobs to be called a round, although my residential is good and keeps me going, and i have a pt helper to help me do that , but what is it you found that helped you start getting the commercial rob? What do you reckon was going wrong, personally i feel its 90% price, and the rest is trying to prove you are the best in the few moments you get with them , which is hard from being a stranger initially...

Any comments appreciated?

Rob_Mac

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2009, 04:06:06 pm »
I cannot say it was any one thing, I project myself well, am very well spoken and mannered (when on client premises).

If I came to your premises to try and get your window cleaning contract I would be smartly dressed, not necessarily a tie but minimum shirt and trousers and well polished shoes (you can judge a person on their shoes!!). I would hand over a full business CV (which is a mirror of the website), need to sort the website it is left sided and still has some errors on it!!. I have a very high quality business card, my van would be clean. I may not get to see the decision maker but I would get their details and a phone number or email if lucky and then I would start chasing. I would happily offer a free clean to prove the point.

I worked on a company for four months with this approach before they came back to me. Worth several tens of thousands over the four years we cleaned their windows.

I approach the big jobs the same as the small ones, you need a healthy mix. I always offer the same level of service, whether for a fiver or for £500.00. The best, the best, the best. I cannot stress how important it is to be the best not just in the end product but in approach and manner. That is what gets me the work. Never judge or compare yourself with the other rag head window cleaners, you are running a business that has invested and is improving, price accordingly.

Have the best approach
Have the best business card - quality
Have the best business portfolio - people will throw a cheap leaflet away, they are less likely to throw away a well thought out portfolio that has been bound and hard backed.
Have the best attitude
Have the best end product

Never compromise on price - you will regret it!!!

I am charging daft money for UPVCs at the moment. Priced one this morning, when I told her the price I saw the cogs going round. I have been recommended, so she knows my work is good, whether she calls is up to her.

The law of averages I believe is that if you do something well enough, for long enough you have to succeed.

People like to know that where they are putting their money it will be worthwhile but confidence plays a big factor and that comes when your books are full or you are doing large works regularly or are a confident person.

Nothing specific there - sorry

Rob ;D

seandyer2003

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2009, 05:28:40 pm »
I cannot say it was any one thing, I project myself well, am very well spoken and mannered (when on client premises).

If I came to your premises to try and get your window cleaning contract I would be smartly dressed, not necessarily a tie but minimum shirt and trousers and well polished shoes (you can judge a person on their shoes!!). I would hand over a full business CV (which is a mirror of the website), need to sort the website it is left sided and still has some errors on it!!. I have a very high quality business card, my van would be clean. I may not get to see the decision maker but I would get their details and a phone number or email if lucky and then I would start chasing. I would happily offer a free clean to prove the point.

I worked on a company for four months with this approach before they came back to me. Worth several tens of thousands over the four years we cleaned their windows.

I approach the big jobs the same as the small ones, you need a healthy mix. I always offer the same level of service, whether for a fiver or for £500.00. The best, the best, the best. I cannot stress how important it is to be the best not just in the end product but in approach and manner. That is what gets me the work. Never judge or compare yourself with the other rag head window cleaners, you are running a business that has invested and is improving, price accordingly.

Have the best approach
Have the best business card - quality
Have the best business portfolio - people will throw a cheap leaflet away, they are less likely to throw away a well thought out portfolio that has been bound and hard backed.
Have the best attitude
Have the best end product

Never compromise on price - you will regret it!!!

I am charging daft money for UPVCs at the moment. Priced one this morning, when I told her the price I saw the cogs going round. I have been recommended, so she knows my work is good, whether she calls is up to her.

The law of averages I believe is that if you do something well enough, for long enough you have to succeed.

People like to know that where they are putting their money it will be worthwhile but confidence plays a big factor and that comes when your books are full or you are doing large works regularly or are a confident person.

Nothing specific there - sorry

Rob ;D

You cleaning the upvc s yourself rob?

Rob_Mac

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2009, 05:54:29 pm »
I haven't employed anyone yet this year, on the residential or commercial, working my nuts off at the moment and feeling all of my 42 years but I had a bad start to the year and am getting in front now with finances. It has taken this long to get back in front. I am working harder now than I have ever worked but am really enjoying no headaches and no winging and moaning.

If I need to work 14 hours a day on my commercial works I can and have done but I am getting everything done so don't see the need.

All future commercial works I will be looking to sub contract, if I cannot cover them myself.

Rob ;D

seandyer2003

« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2009, 07:36:38 pm »
I haven't employed anyone yet this year, on the residential or commercial, working my nuts off at the moment and feeling all of my 42 years but I had a bad start to the year and am getting in front now with finances. It has taken this long to get back in front. I am working harder now than I have ever worked but am really enjoying no headaches and no winging and moaning.

If I need to work 14 hours a day on my commercial works I can and have done but I am getting everything done so don't see the need.

All future commercial works I will be looking to sub contract, if I cannot cover them myself.

Rob ;D

Good man, hard to make staff worth while in this game, they cost so much and earn so little, its a hard balance

ronnie paton

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2009, 08:56:23 pm »
i believe that making big decisions and when to go with it shows if you have what it takes to move forward and become a business man.

Sean making and employing staff can be a full time job but i will say you can make it work it takes time and you may have 10 eggs b4 you find a good un.

get your self good contact who once you have shown your worth will keep coming back.

I found that building a regular window cleaning service has my main aim has this lets have a projection of the future were has one offs can be excaly that.

Rob ;D

Good man, hard to make staff worth while in this game, they cost so much and earn so little, its a hard balance

rob are you really only 42 ;D

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2009, 09:35:56 pm »
Some good on topic thoughts and specifics from M clean (rob). This is normally the sort of thread where i would add my thoughts but i'm a bit subdued because my own plan is not going great.

The chap i have helping i can't fault and i realise this is a stroke of luck, but we've blasted through the work and now i'm struggling a bit with the direction (as in the title of this thread) side of things.

What is getting me down most recently is that my phone has stopped ringing and when it does it's mostly time wasters.My approach is a bit differen to Rob's, i priced a full clean of a minging house and cons at £70.The guy asked me about my methods as he had been in conservatory work for thirty years, he wanted me to use roof boards because he didn't want his conservatory struts to support me. He also told me that i wouldn't be able to clean it using only water (i had used the phrase pure water). Anyhow i did a nine inch test section of gutter to show him the standard i worked too. He said that what i showed him was unacceptable.

I came away because the house can't have been cleaned at all in twenty years, the upper sills were jet black, and this guy was an apparent UPVC expert who said it couldn't be cleaned from the ground. I'm sure if i had done the job there would have been customer/payment/callback problems.

I seem to be having a few of these in one guise or another and it does make even the most bullish person faulter.

Rob_Mac

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2009, 09:52:30 pm »
Ronnie

!%?XX%$'s - I know you've copied that photo off my contact page and if I could get into your wallet for all the moths it is in the clear compartment - so you can look at it every day!!!.

Slump - I would have gone in on a house - detached in that state around the 200 mark and after offering him the pure water clean he could have had a rejuvenation clean, by hand for £400.00. I would pressure wash all UPVC and then use a cream to bring it back to new.

Don't let the current circumstances get you down, look at where you have come from, remember what you want to achieve and remember this is a period where if people have any money they are spending it on holidays.

Get a good leaflet done and get them out there. I am spending all of next week on the leaflets (if I am not back in Surrey)

Pick yourself up and get your phone number out there!!. The UPVC I priced earlier is booked in for the end of the week.

Rob ;D

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2009, 09:59:06 pm »
Get a good leaflet done and get them out there.

What he said, you have mail Clive.