This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

[GQC] Tim

You just can't win with leaded lights can you.
« on: June 16, 2009, 12:13:39 am »
Just a little moan, nothing else.

I don't think I have ever done a first clean on old leaded lights where they came up well. If they are relatively new, they aren't too bad, but when they haven't been done in a very long time, they are a right pain.

Did a big house today, hadn't been done for years, what an awful mess. I could do the insides aswell, so I wasn't bothered about them leaking (which they did, terribly so). So I had a great flowrate, they sheeted nicely. Went over them about 4 times, up and down, then side to side, and up and down again. Rinsed well. Checked insides, what a spotty mess. Some were okayish, but most just were terribly dissapointing.

So did the front again, went inside again, wiped off the drips, and darn, it's like I didn't do them a second time!

This was part of a commercial job, so they aren't going to be nitpicky, but I am just not happy with it. I know that eventually they come up semi allright, but it takes such a long time. There is no way you can wash out all the dirt from the lead in 2 cleans.

Can't do much about it I'm afraid. Even when you turn up the flow, and give the insides a good bath, they still don't come up well.

Meh, can't win.  :-\

windowswashed

Re: You just can't win with leaded lights can you.
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 12:25:35 am »
Tucker (aquafactors) do a detergent mixer bottle which you can add detergent tablets to) ideal for removing soap residue on 1st cleans for dreaded leads from trad w'c's previously. Hot wfp is even better or a combination of both coupled with a decent brush to scrub with.

karygate

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 07:19:31 am »
if it takes 4 cleans to come up good clean them 4 times on first visit. will come up good first time then . there is no time limit on first cleans they sometimes take forever and if possible i do them at end of day.
gary

ftp

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 07:55:42 am »
My windows come up perfect every time. It's obviously operator error. I've picked up loads of work from wfpolers who don't know how to use their system correctly.
My windows are always first class and absolutely spotless!

Sound familiar Tim?

karygate

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 08:11:15 am »
most of the trad cleaners round here use that little soap it makes no difference ;D
gary

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 08:36:58 am »
My windows come up perfect every time. It's obviously operator error. I've picked up loads of work from wfpolers who don't know how to use their system correctly.
My windows are always first class and absolutely spotless!

Sound familiar Tim?

ftp, stop taking my posts out of context. Like I said. If the frames and windows are of good quality, there are no problems, and they can come up perfect. That's all I ever said.

macmac

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2009, 07:34:56 pm »
Quite ironic this post. I did a HUGE stately home today, well, all the leaded part anyway. 7 hours wfp, that's how much leaded glass we are talking! The owner has lived there for 4 years & they have never had them cleaned so god knows when they were last done. 50% had no frame at all, direct set into sandstone mullion/lintel/sill the other 50% has metal frames (the openers). Fortunately the glass is quite thick. 90% came up brilliant & the rest, to be honest only had the odd run/streak around the top of the glass. :) Another 3 days should see the outsides all done!

Anyway Tim, you're doing it wrong mate! ;D

NWH

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2009, 07:52:46 pm »
Detergent isn`t the answer it`s the lead on the glass that causes problems,the water splashes up and hits the lead at the top and gives you the 2" run at the top of the window and you get the odd run from water that has sat on the lead got dirty and then run down the glass.I don`t want to go on about hot water but it does really help on these types of windows due to the water drying a lot quicker and not giving it a chance to sit there for ages and then run down the glass later on,instead of getting lots of runs you`ll get the odd 1 with hot water on old leads.

birdymiller

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2009, 08:59:31 pm »
Sounds like it would be a lot quicker to give them a rub with a microfibre/scrim. This is another example that wfp is a waste of time on some windows.

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2009, 11:53:11 pm »
Quite ironic this post. I did a HUGE stately home today, well, all the leaded part anyway. 7 hours wfp, that's how much leaded glass we are talking! The owner has lived there for 4 years & they have never had them cleaned so god knows when they were last done. 50% had no frame at all, direct set into sandstone mullion/lintel/sill the other 50% has metal frames (the openers). Fortunately the glass is quite thick. 90% came up brilliant & the rest, to be honest only had the odd run/streak around the top of the glass. :) Another 3 days should see the outsides all done!

Anyway Tim, you're doing it wrong mate!

Argh, you got me, what am I doing wrong?!

What technique did you use?

(btw. That sounds like an unbelievably big job!  :o )

Detergent isn`t the answer it`s the lead on the glass that causes problems,the water splashes up and hits the lead at the top and gives you the 2" run at the top of the window and you get the odd run from water that has sat on the lead got dirty and then run down the glass.I don`t want to go on about hot water but it does really help on these types of windows due to the water drying a lot quicker and not giving it a chance to sit there for ages and then run down the glass later on,instead of getting lots of runs you`ll get the odd 1 with hot water on old leads.

Yea I did notice that....maybe something to look out for next time I do them. The lead was very "open", in lack for a better word. Hmm, maybe when I get a bigger van hot would be an option.

Sounds like it would be a lot quicker to give them a rub with a microfibre/scrim. This is another example that wfp is a waste of time on some windows.

4 hours ragging with a microfibre, it just doesn't appeal to me anymore. I did the insides, that was hard work enough.  :-\

macmac

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2009, 09:57:23 am »
Argh, you got me, what am I doing wrong?!

What technique did you use?

(btw. That sounds like an unbelievably big job!   )

;D ;D ;D

The lead gave me no probs at all, it never has to be honest. As long as the lead is weathered it should be ok. It's the sandstone around it, the top piece! It just takes a lot more care & precision when rinsing, I was very pleased that they came up so well first time & only a few with minor issues around the top 2-3" of glass. Fortunately, I'm on a day rate with this job, all georgians next which will be a mixture of wfp & trad! ;)

But you know what it's like, every window is different, so it doesn't mean I could have done your windows any better than you! Like you say, some you win, some you lose.

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2009, 10:44:03 am »
I think these were very poor, infact, some of the panes of glass were sticking out lol. Well, atleast I pre-cleaned the insides as well! I've had leaded windows come up very well too, but these were something else.

So how do you go over them, how many times? Top to bottom, side to side? Rinse in any particular way?

macmac

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2009, 11:23:29 am »
I think these were very poor, infact, some of the panes of glass were sticking out lol. Well, atleast I pre-cleaned the insides as well! I've had leaded windows come up very well too, but these were something else.

So how do you go over them, how many times? Top to bottom, side to side? Rinse in any particular way?

These particular windows are made up of 4" square panes & to be honest, to say they hadn't been cleaned for so long they were pretty clean! As not to flick any water up onto the top frame/lintel I cleaned the glass with vertical strokes (brush covering two panes at a time) but gave each horizontal lead strip a side to side scrub. Just a quick one though, nothing heavy. I could see the sand on the glass & this is where pencil jets with a nice steady flow come in- accuracy is paramount! They did need much more rinsing than I would normaly do but again, it is the top part that counts. Get this wrong & all your hard work is un-done. Like yours, I did have some leak but not enough to give me concern, although I did inform of possible leaks & for them to make sure nothing of value to be left on internal sills! I was a bit worried about valuables to begin with, the house is full of them. They employ someone to clean their books!!!!!!!!! Yes, clean books ;D That's how big the library is :o

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2009, 05:08:43 pm »
Hmmm, that's exactly how I did them as well. I bet the paint was badly oxidised, I cleaned the frames thoroughly as well, and even though there were no drips from the top, some of the oxidised paint must of stayed behind on the glass. I didn't check the frames to be honest.

At the other hand, there were lots of spots as well, must have been a combination.

Oh well, next time better.

Thanks mac. Sounds a bit scary, imagine if those books were on the window sill. Yikes.  :D