This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

john tomkins

Re: Query re 'blown' Double Glazing
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2009, 06:52:47 pm »
If double glazing units were always at the same temperature they would never fail, it's the fluctuation of temperatures that causes moisture on the insides, this moisture gets removed by the absorbent material between the pains of glass, once the absorbant material has absorbed all it pyhsically can, then the moisture will build up on the inside of the unit and will be deemed to have "blown/failed"
We must increase the rate of moisture build up be applying hot water to cold windows or cold water to hot windows, however small that might be it surely doesn't help :-\

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2009, 12:30:02 am »
No no, that's not right. The moisture comes in with the air, not from the water we use. Unless the gaskets are completely shot, and the unit will be standing in water, it's just not going to happen.

Remember that even desert air contains moisture, you can create a sand pit, with a platic cover, and still collect water because it condensates on the plastic. Long story, and it's too late.

Even when I was trad the windows were misty, it's just the way it goes, it has got nothing to do with wfp. It may cause the moisture to condensate, hence making it look temporarily a bit worse, but the moisture was already in there.

Collybolly

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2009, 01:08:39 pm »
Fluctuating temperatures? None of the blown windows are south facing and we don't have any central heating at all. There's a small coal fire in one room. My thermometer tells me that it's sometimes as cold in the house as outside!

paulben

« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2009, 07:23:57 pm »
can cold water from wfp crack glass that has been facing sun all day and become hot
Do not steal the government hates competition

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2009, 07:31:22 pm »
can cold water from wfp crack glass that has been facing sun all day and become hot

Highly doubt it, usually at the end of the day your water is lukewarm due to a hot van.

Pittmonkey

« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2009, 08:27:48 pm »
The same could be said for the opposite. Using HOT wfp on cold glass. (Especially in Winter) This is my only concern regarding going HOT.

Now I'm sure if a large company like Ionic have systems out there in the field, test must have been carried out to make sure there are no potential problems. But its still early days I suppose.

Wayne
'Success is buried in the garden of failure'

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2009, 08:39:39 pm »
The same could be said for the opposite. Using HOT wfp on cold glass. (Especially in Winter) This is my only concern regarding going HOT.

Now I'm sure if a large company like Ionic have systems out there in the field, test must have been carried out to make sure there are no potential problems. But its still early days I suppose.

Wayne

Plenty of people have cracked panes and continue to do so, unless there are concrete statistics, I'm not jumping on the bandwagon just yet. One broken pane is one too many!

williamx

« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2009, 08:15:15 am »
Fluctuating temperatures? None of the blown windows are south facing and we don't have any central heating at all. There's a small coal fire in one room. My thermometer tells me that it's sometimes as cold in the house as outside!

If the inside temperature is the same as the outside then it shows that your double glazing unit has no vacumn.

Years ago I use to sell double glazing and I used to do a heat test to show why double glazing works, I use to place a lighted lighter under one side of the seal unit and ask the potential customer to place their hand on the other side.

They did not feel any heat what so ever, because heat cannot travel though a vacumm.

On a blown unit, the vacumm has gone and heat from the house will escape to the outside.

The reason you have now noticed the blown glass is because we use water that cools the inner layer of glass and condersation has occurred.

Pittmonkey

« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2009, 02:47:56 pm »
Did a little observation today while working. Made a point of looking at all the windows on house's I didn't clean.

It was quite an eye opener to see so many blown units. I few I do already had blown units before I started. So realistically WFP isn't really a cause, they just fail and that's it. But again poor fitting and cheaper units could easily accelerate the problem.

'Success is buried in the garden of failure'

Pureandclean

« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2009, 06:10:15 pm »
Been cleaning windows for 26 years and have seen whole estates of 4 and 5 bedroom houses with virtually every window blown, years before I started to use wfp.
 When trad I used to make a point of mentioning blown windows when I noticed them, nowadays I don't bother and get the odd comment about blown windows.
 I think that wfp is a whole lot more gentle on the windows than shammy and leather.

Once more we have to work on educating our customers, maybe an information sheet would come in handy for anyone worried about wfp blowing their windows.
It would be a good addition to the documents section !

« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2009, 10:02:28 pm »
Once more we have to work on educating our customers,

Looks like a lot of 'People' cleaning windows need educating too ;D

There's a new estate around here which is about 7 years old, some of them have windows cleaned wfp, some trad, some don't have them cleaned. But the one thing they all have in common (no matter which direction they are facing) is that 'blown; units are starting to appear all over the estate.

Therefore: we need look no further than poor quality manufactured double glazing units.