This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Scrimble

couldnt believe my eyes
« on: June 12, 2009, 04:53:32 pm »
was doing a guttering job earlier today for one of my customers, heard the rattle of ladders next door, scruffy old bloke with his diy ladders cleaning the windows, well i wouldnt call it cleaning, he was using the same scrim on the whole house, no bucket or squeegy just a single scrim! rubbing the glass, frames and the sills he didnt touch.

thing is he got out of a 58 plate astra estate so its not as if he couldnt afford to buy a squeegy.

how he can get away with that i dont know.

cowboy would be an understatement

LWC

Re: couldnt believe my eyes
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 04:59:57 pm »

thing is he got out of a 58 plate astra estate so its not as if he couldnt afford to buy a squeegy.

Maybe hes just got it right...at the end of the day you cant clean windows with JUST water.

andyjm1

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 05:40:01 pm »

Maybe hes just got it right...at the end of the day you cant clean windows with JUST water.

Course you can't, especially when most of them don't bother changing their water between houses, probably do the whole street with the same bucket of filthy water!

Slash

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 05:46:03 pm »
There is a guy here in Leatherhead Surrey and he uses a bike with no chain to carry his ladder about,he uses a bucket and scrim only and I kid you not the results are spotless,maybe us mugs have it all wrong with our WFP and Unger brands,he uses a scrim and does a better job than I can ever do :o

wfp master

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 05:58:17 pm »
maybe cleaning up after wfp cleaner taking water spots off. ;D ;D ;D

Helen

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009, 06:03:28 pm »
maybe cleaning up after wfp cleaner taking water spots off. ;D ;D ;D

There had to be one didn't there ::) ;D
It's called ragging I believe, just another method of WC'ing

eddie d

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2009, 06:26:38 pm »
 20 yrs ago thats all we used to do .pretty much scrim everything.if the scrim was just slightly damp but almost dry ,it would clean the windows fine .

Mike_G

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2009, 06:28:53 pm »
Did you check to see if he did a good job or are you just assuming he did a bad one? There is a guy round here who chamois and scrims everything, even on the hottest days and he does a great job.

RO-Sheen

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2009, 06:29:57 pm »
20 yrs ago thats all we used to do .pretty much scrim everything.if the scrim was just slightly damp but almost dry ,it would clean the windows fine .

Did you need to polish the windows with a dry scrim or was the slightly damp scrim enough?
Formerly known as GARGAAX

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2009, 07:02:58 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3mHnCeIn-A

Never try to teach your grand-mother how to suck eggs  ;)

john tomkins

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2009, 08:13:19 pm »
There is a guy round here who chamois and scrims everything, even on the hottest days and he does a great job.

Did you go inside to check he does a great job or are you just assuming he does ;)

Ian Lancaster

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2009, 08:38:15 pm »
As several people have mentioned, this is a technique known as "ragging".  Twenty or more years ago it was the accepted method.

IT WORKED THEN AND IF WE COULD STILL GET DECENT SCRIM IT WOULD WORK NOW >:( >:( >:( >:(

A very slightly damp "proper" scrim would clean and polish in one action with a bit of elbow grease.  It removed the dirt and left the glass sparkling.  There was an art in wringing out a scrim to just the right degree of dampness.

Modern rubbish sold as scrim will always leave streaks if there's the slightest hint of dampness in it, so I'm afraid you youngsters will never be able to "rag" your way around your work.

Years ago I never used anything except scrim, and the results were always perfect.  I took a couple of years off to do something else and when I came back proper Irish Linen scrim was no longer available, just hopelessly inferior middle eastern stuff.

WFP is a brilliant invention, but sometimes I hanker for a bit of proper scrim and a chance to show what I can do ;D ;D

EZclean

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2009, 08:57:25 pm »
we'll be having Retro cleaning weekends in Skeg soon, "eee them were days"
my dad and uncle use to scrim everything donkeys year ago , it was called 'scrimming' up north.
EZclean - Cleaner Than Water

Mike_G

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2009, 09:17:44 pm »
There is a guy round here who chamois and scrims everything, even on the hottest days and he does a great job.

Did you go inside to check he does a great job or are you just assuming he does ;)

Yep went and spoke to him while he was working and had a look great job. He has a squeegee but does not like it!

JSMC

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2009, 09:22:49 pm »

you eve rcheck insides after wfp? i have and tbh the results will ne ver be as good as mop n blade imo

trevor perry

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2009, 09:24:50 pm »
when i first started my dad wouldnt give me a squeegee for twelve months till i could mop a scrim good, on cleanish windows you could get away with just a scrim but on commercial stuff that was only cleaned twice a year where offices where full of smokers then you had to mop the windows first with a leather mop before scrimming them, when the sun was blasting in it made you feel like crying and your arms ached like hell at night it certainly helped in the character building department.
better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove any doubt

john tomkins

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2009, 11:12:45 pm »

you eve rcheck insides after wfp? i have and tbh the results will ne ver be as good as mop n blade imo

Yep, never said mine were ever perfect (although quite a few on here believe theirs are 100% each and every time) Thankfully mine are just sufficient for them not to sack me :)