This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

lee_dewing

Dealing with public
« on: June 10, 2009, 10:58:52 am »
Hi, going through one of those hate the job phase's.

Just wondered how others deal with custy's.

I am water fed pole and work in the dry mainly, have worked in wet when i really have to,
  just wondered those on here that work in rain deal with the wingers and moaners!

If you were turned away due to weather would you return next time or dump custy?

my round is getting to a size now where i can't really afford too much time off, also the financial problems caused by lost time are also a problem.

had some problems with my van lost day and a half's work :'(

Also have the problem of doubling back for custy's
my work is not all in one area :(
but i'm getting a lot of people having work done on property i.e painting etc and asked if i can come back next week, feel bad saying no but all to ing and throwing is costing me money :-[

should i stop moaning and be gratefull also stop using word problem so much ;D

your thoughts and opinions appriecated.
Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work.     - Aristotle

Sapphire Window Cleaning

Re: Dealing with public
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 11:09:45 am »
be honest with the customer mate.
If you are finding it hard to go back when they ask you too, just say you will leave it this month or do it on a Saturday morning.
With rain, I work through it, if the customer doesnt like it tuff, I have told numerous custy's that cleaning in the rain is no different to cleaning the windows in the morning then it rains in the afternoon.
Tell your new custy's that you work through the rain, and that your work is gauranteed so if theres any problem you will sort it out.

Matt
Reaching parts traditional window cleaners can not reach.

Helen

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 11:45:08 am »
Lee you need a holiday  ;D You were feeling like this in May aswell. Have a break, get rid of the negativity and come back re-charged and ready to go. It gets to us all from time to time. That's the joy of being SE  ;)

ftp

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 12:10:28 pm »
Matt, why aren't you at work today?

LSB

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 02:25:12 pm »
dont dump customers for no good reason , genuine not todays leave till next month , tmrw or next week is not an option , they will understand / not mind .

lee_dewing

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 03:06:31 pm »
cheers guys.

Helen think your right  ;)

got til august though when on hols.
had my van serviced at weekend now having problems, starting it up, think it's got something to do with fuel filter :'(
Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work.     - Aristotle

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2009, 04:35:26 pm »
Lee, can't blame you for all those feelings mate, I went through all of them and more .

It does pass.
I'm not going to pry, but I bet you've got something else crappy going on in your life at the moment.
It means when it comes to work you only see the bad things, then they get worse.

I went through a bad bout of depression when my partner left me and took our daughter.
Work suffered awfully, and everything was a problem.
It just got worse and worse.

Now I'm back on my feet, and have a chance of a fresh start and happiness, and guess what?
Work is easy!
Slightest problem, sort it straight away and make things better.
Got direction now! :)

It'll happen for you, honest, even if it doesn't seem like it.
All the best,

Rog.

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2009, 04:36:58 pm »
...and who says I only do annoying or amusing posts...? ;D

Sapphire Window Cleaning

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2009, 05:21:10 pm »
ftp I was at work at 6am then out again at half 3 til 5.
I had a hospital appointment at 12.30, lovley people at ear, nose and throat  ???

Matt

ftp

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2009, 05:56:44 pm »
Just fishing  ;D

I notice a lot on here who say they work in the rain, give guarantees and say it's the only way to run a business, spend some odd hours on a laptop when the weather changes.
Not that you are one of them of course.  :)

Sapphire Window Cleaning

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2009, 06:13:48 pm »
I had to go for a Biopsy.
Had tumors in my neck a few years ago, and the doctors think I may have some more  :(
But I didnt miss too many customers today  :)
I did have 3 customers cancel on me on monday because I had handed out terms and conditions.
one of them told me he was cancelling because he didn't agree that he had to give me 2 weeks notice for cancelling my services, effing joke, I told him, would he want his boss at work to give him notice or just sack him as soon as he turned up for work.

Matt

martinsadie

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2009, 06:25:02 pm »
end of the day you cant clean windows that have been painted ,or on houses with building work in progress just miss to your next call

mark dew

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2009, 07:03:01 pm »
For the average domestic customer, i think terms and conditions can be seen as  excessive.
I would cancel my newpaper immediately if the newagent told me he wanted notice. If they delivered i would expect to pay and tell them for next time.

Sapphire Window Cleaning

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2009, 07:11:51 pm »
Mark would you like your customers to just cancel when you turn up to clean their windows or for them to give you notice?

Matt

martinsadie

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2009, 07:13:30 pm »
Mark would you like your customers to just cancel when you turn up to clean their windows or for them to give you notice?

Matt
i dont know when im going to turn up so the customer has no chance of giving notice  ;D

mark dew

« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2009, 07:17:48 pm »
Matt

No i would be peed off. I would expect them to mention beforehand and would tell them that.
Until that happens though i would give them the benefit of the doubt.

Sapphire Window Cleaning

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2009, 07:27:55 pm »
the reason I have T's&C's is for a few other things, I have a late payment charge, I give the customer 21 days to pay any longer than that then they get charged extra.
I clean in the rain and I explain that from the begining, that is stated in the T's & C's and that if they stop me from cleaning when it rains then I will charge them 50% of the price of the clean.
Verbal contracts and agreements mean nothing with customers. if its in black and white then they will think twice before moaning about how I work and how I run my business.
you have to set ground rules otherwise some customers will take the mick.

Matt

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2009, 08:18:35 pm »
i used to get peeved by some customers.
I wouldn't cancel if someone says 'Not today' once but if they kept doing it I would.
If you have an annoying customer, charge them more. ;)
As for telling custys they must give 2 weeks notice to cancel and pay half the price of a clean if they say 'No thanks' would you accept it from someone? I certainly wouldn't.

I have always worked in the rain, and my customers know it and have to accept it or get someone else.
I say to people that if I am to be on time I have to work in the rain.

Sapphire Window Cleaning

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2009, 08:32:07 pm »
We all have to give notice if we cant make a dental or doctors appointment dont we, we also have to give notice to cancel sky tv, mobile phones, Insurance of any kind, so most of us are use to having to give notice for whatever it is, and window cleaning is no different.

Matt

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2009, 08:57:19 pm »
We all have to give notice if we cant make a dental or doctors appointment dont we, we also have to give notice to cancel sky tv, mobile phones, Insurance of any kind, so most of us are use to having to give notice for whatever it is, and window cleaning is no different.

Matt
Fair enough but you are not a doctor or a dentist are you. And to these people your time is of no consequence. I'm not saying they are right, they're not.
If you sign up a customer with T & C's that's one thing but to add afterwards...some people will cancel.
If you have customers who regularly say 'not today' then you need better customers. And if they do and you say 'I want half the money anyway' I think they would say 's*d off' don't you?