This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

simp

Flow controller
« on: June 08, 2009, 09:19:12 pm »
I have aquired some speed controllers for fans but they run off a 240v supply. I was wondering whether they could be converted to a 12v supply.
I'm currently using a varistream but am always looking for alternatives should the varistream fail so I have a short term replacement.
Anyone know about electronics?????
Was advised that its just the coil that would need changing as the 240v one is too big. 12v always has a smaller coil????
I've tried Maplins speed controller but the amp rating is too low and would burn out in no time.

Nathanael Jones

Re: Flow controller
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 09:24:09 pm »
The 240 ones are AC, your battery is DC. It's just not practical (or safe) to use voltage converters etc for this.

simp

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 09:01:19 am »
Ok thanks. Was worth a post!

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 12:20:27 pm »
Why are people always looking for alternatives that are not purpose made for the job, when they could just buy a back up flow controller???   ???

john tomkins

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 02:13:11 pm »
Why are people always looking for alternatives that are not purpose made for the job, when they could just buy a back up flow controller???   ???

Frightened of loosing orders Craig ;D
Loads of DIY going on in here, suppliers don't like it (Glyn) but there you go.

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 02:25:36 pm »
I can understand DIY i think its great, its just some of these ideas people are having cost just as much! and are dangerous!!

When a nice POLARBRITE controller would suffice!!!!!!!!! aswell as a varistream/eco flow of course!

Ian Lancaster

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 02:45:51 pm »
How many times do you adjust the setting on your flow controller?

A simple and practical alternative is to connect your brush, switch on the pump then adjust the pressure until (a) you have the right amount of water coming out of your jets and (b) the pump cuts off when you disconnect your pole.

You can now run your pump without any need for a controller

:)

matt

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009, 04:25:47 pm »
didnt some post a 12 V speed controller from maplins, 15 quid i think it was

any1 have a link

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2009, 04:55:32 pm »
Again your get through 10 of these in a life of a purpose made controller.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=30310

simp

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2009, 06:01:27 pm »
I wanted a cheap alternative in order to get me through a few days if I was waiting for a new varistream to be delivered incase mine packs up. I dont want to pay out for a controller as a spare to have it sitting on the shelf for 2 years then find out it doesn't work anyway.
I'm not looking to replace the varistream altogether. I just like to have a back up plan!

mark dew

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2009, 06:03:47 pm »
How many times do you adjust the setting on your flow controller?

A simple and practical alternative is to connect your brush, switch on the pump then adjust the pressure until (a) you have the right amount of water coming out of your jets and (b) the pump cuts off when you disconnect your pole.

You can now run your pump without any need for a controller

:)

Agreed. No point spending money on controlling that doesn't even need to be controlled.
An open/closed valve (turned partly on until the right flow comes out) between the tank and pump is all you need.  

Why are people always looking for alternatives that are not purpose made for the job, when they could just buy a back up flow controller??? ???

Agree with this one as well. Better to buy something with confidence than to faff about on the cheap. Which over time usually doesn't work out cheaper at all.

simp

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2009, 06:20:52 pm »
Looks like I'll fit a valve then. I've got one in the garage.

Thanks all  :)

jeff1

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2009, 07:03:59 pm »
Again your get through 10 of these in a life of a purpose made controller.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=30310

This Motor control is suitable for smaller motors not high power motors as described it would burn out in no time, so you will get through a lot more than 10  ;D

dai

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2009, 11:03:04 pm »
I have one of these and they are only rated for 7amps, they should work OK with a smaller backpack motor, and that's the reason I bought it. The replacement PCB for a Surflow backpack is a hell of a lot more expensive.