Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Rogue Trader

Pryors
« on: June 07, 2009, 09:39:07 pm »
Hello Lee,

A customer of mine (who i have had to reduce the price) tells me that you are quoting any house without conservatory for £12 and any house with conservatory for £15.
Is this true?
any house???
 :o

Rogue Trader

Re: Pryors
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 10:29:57 pm »
 ::)

martinsadie

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 10:31:10 pm »
hes out canvassing your work  ;D ;D

jouk45

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 10:32:01 pm »
 ;D ;D

elite mike

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 10:33:20 pm »
stan

;D ;D ;D ;D

jouk45

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 10:34:07 pm »
and clean the whole conservatory as well?? for that price impossible

macmac

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 10:34:41 pm »
That's nowt, I've had one canvassing any house for a fiver!!!!!! :o

martinsadie

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009, 10:40:43 pm »
That's nowt, I've had one canvassing any house for a fiver!!!!!! :o
should have got him to do yours  ;D ;D

GWCS

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2009, 10:45:41 pm »
Hello Lee,

A customer of mine (who i have had to reduce the price) tells me that you are quoting any house without conservatory for £12 and any house with conservatory for £15.
Is this true?
any house???

why did you drop the price?

You should have just dropped them.

I set the prices if custies want it cheaper they can go elsewhere. They want back, its an increase in price.

Sell on service NOT price  ::)

elite mike

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2009, 10:49:39 pm »
Hello Lee,

Is this true?
any house???

I set the prices if custies want it cheaper they can go elsewhere. They want back, its an increase in price.

Sell on service NOT price  ::)

once their out their out

martinsadie

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2009, 10:51:08 pm »
your a hard man Mike  ;D ;D

elite mike

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2009, 10:54:47 pm »
my mrs says the same   ;D ;D ;D

Rogue Trader

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2009, 11:07:07 pm »
Hello Lee,

Is this true?
any house???

Sell on service NOT price ::)

i am expanding and looking to put my third van on the road so i am not in the business of dropping good customers and awarding them to a competitor who is cheaper , i will take the £5 knock and carry on.

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2009, 06:18:39 am »
I think it's a case of economy of scale really.  I believe Lee Pryor has a few vans on the road now and he probably has to pay his guys whether they are idle or working - so he might as well have them working even if it's a lower margin.  Most of us sole traders will have our target turnovers of £x per year which will break down to £x per hour.  It's necessary to charge a certain rate in order to achieve that.  When employing though, it's about profit over and above operating costs.  If the clear profit on a job is a measly £2 when employing, if your guys get through 3,000 jobs a month that's a 6 grand profit - with the ability to undercut if you want to wipe out the opposition.  Most won't or can't do this due to the initial outlay or maybe because they want to keep life a bit simpler.  Bank loans for small businesses have always been a bit tricky to get - especially without collateral - so it can be useful to have a source of private funding to get started.  The prices quoted by the OP are doable if they are based on making a profit margin rather than securing an income.  Also, those prices do not have to be sustained year on year.  They only have to be carried by the higher paying work until the business feels secure enough to increase them.
This hasn't been an issue until recent times and the advent of WFP.  Previously, this sort of stuff was more restricted to the commercial field.  I expect to see more and more of this going on.  I don't actually believe that it is necessary to cut your rival businesses throats in order to be successful.  Although work is a lot tighter now, I am finding that there is still the opportunity out there to make a business.  I also cover some of the areas covered by Pryors and I can think of a few of my customers who might go with his prices.  However, most of my work is on a par with that type of pricing - or close enough that they may not wish to make a change (the devil you know can be worth a couple of quid over the devil you don't with many customers).  It's just some of the larger jobs that I might be a bit concerned about.  I can think of one of my jobs that I do for £65 (no conservatory).  If someone wants to try it for £12 they will be cutting their own throat.  £12 wouldn't even pay the wages for that (estimate 2 guys @ 1 hour each) never mind the other operating costs.
Good luck to him as long as he doesn't get any of my work   ;D

Lee Pryor

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2009, 09:55:03 am »
Hi Matt

We have reduced our prices this year in light of the recession. The figures you have mentioned are what we have advertised if a customer decides to use us every 4 weeks. but we are trying to encourage a frequency of 6  8 or 12 weeks for which we would charge more.

The idear of this marketing campaign is new for us and the next wave will have a second price menu designed for bigger houses.

I would also like to mention that I do not believe in undercutting and never have, frankly I have no idear what others in the area we cover charge. This year we have thought about the prices we are comfortable at and posted them across large areas letting as always the customer decide.

Oh and I lost a customer this week as someone else was £5.00 cheaper. so we are all in the same boat.
The best way to predict the future is to create it.

jimmyn

« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2009, 06:09:52 pm »
We are offering any house any size for £1 right now - got to squeeze the competition out somehow!

Ravensford

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2009, 06:37:37 pm »
We are offering any house any size for £1 right now - got to squeeze the competition out somehow!

Is that inside & out or just outside?  ;D

R W C

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2009, 06:38:12 pm »
lol youll be earning a £10 a day before you know it.

jimmyn

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2009, 07:08:09 pm »
My next campaign will get them in droves - we're going to offer FREE cleaning for a year. Sometimes you have to work on a loss leader to get rid of the competition.

Lee Pryor

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2009, 07:19:24 pm »
Hey I might even start paying the customers to clean their windows!  ;) ;)
The best way to predict the future is to create it.