Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

matt

van mount / hose users
« on: June 03, 2009, 08:43:04 pm »
i take my hat off to you

i did a house today and instead of getting out the cart i used the hose

while pulling it back in, it got snagged on :

the bin
a hardwood chair
a rose bush
under the gate

that was all in the same house, i only have 30 M of hose on aswell  ::) ::)

ftp

Re: van mount / hose users
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 08:46:21 pm »
You need to persevere - I did a house earlier this year and didn't snag anything!

Never done it since!

NWH

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 08:48:07 pm »
After you`ve done all your work a few times with a fixed reel it`s so easy it`ll make you chuckle,your subconcious will tell you where all the obsticles are.

tomy jackson

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 08:58:24 pm »
im with you on that NWH

JSMC

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2009, 10:47:15 pm »
been using mines bout 7 weeks now and already when going into drives etc i am looking where to run the hose. Still catches sometimes and it busts yer nut in. Reeling in and section of it gets near tyre and catches all the time.

always start at the back and work my way to front

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 12:22:58 am »
Turn the bin so the wheels face away from the hose. The bin then makes a nice hose guide.

I still get plenty of snags everywhere though, on some accounts never, but some people have got so much rubbish in their garden lol.

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2009, 04:57:37 am »
i take my hat off to you

i did a house today and instead of getting out the cart i used the hose

while pulling it back in, it got snagged on :

the bin
a hardwood chair
a rose bush
under the gate

that was all in the same house, i only have 30 M of hose on aswell  ::) ::)

It's a funny thing but that side of things does get easier.  At particularly awkward places I sometimes roll the hose up in my hand while I'm walking to provide the slack for when I get to the objects and any awkward corners..

johns window kleen

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2009, 01:25:41 pm »
Ive done nearly two weeks with fixed reel, and I can't totally make my mind up yet if its quicker.

The trolley system is harder on the body thats a fact, lifting it in and out, and lifting 25ltr barrells of water all day gives you arms like popeye, but a strained back, and of course you constantly run out of water, when your 500 yards from the van and only have two windows left to do.
But you do have a damn load more van moves to make in a day.

On the plus side I think I can only get quicker/better at it, and I can now just carry the pole and enough hose through someones house without lifting all the gear through,which is a real pain in the ass. Also Ive stopped tradding the lowers, unless people are in and insist on it.

The van mount system I'm sure will prove best in the long run, but it just feels a bit weird at the moment

weetot

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2009, 01:54:18 pm »
I carry 3 dwarfs in the back of the van, just for that very purpose of unsnagging
the hose :o
Never take financial advice from people who have no money!

johns window kleen

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2009, 02:02:04 pm »
Are they Romanians?
 ;D ;D ;D

Dean Aspects

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2009, 02:09:10 pm »
It does get easier and you start to notice possible snagging points and move the hose around or if possible the offending object
After 4 years of working this way and proper hose placement it still snags something
I think sometimes it has a mind of its own and is secretly plotting new and ingenious ways of fustrating me  >:(

AJ

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2009, 02:26:31 pm »
After you have got to recognize where the snags are, the next thing you have to watch for is dog poo. (not always as obvious)

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2009, 10:37:45 pm »
Had a bad day today, but only when I started noticing how often I have to walk back. It's a long row of houses, lots of stuff in the garden, and all steps. Because going round the back takes a bit of hose, taking it all over the steps gets a bit messy lol, and it all lays on the pavement as well then, bit of a trip hazard. Oh well....you get used to it, and you sort it out over time, but it will happen now and then, just the way it goes.

steve a

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2009, 10:56:13 pm »
the main snag for me is the easiest to undo..
The very last few metres when reeling in.... caught under the rear wheel of my own vehicle, still does me 'ed in though. LOL

Window Washers

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2009, 10:59:33 pm »
It does get easier and you start to notice possible snagging points and move the hose around or if possible the offending object
After 4 years of working this way and proper hose placement it still snags something
I think sometimes it has a mind of its own and is secretly plotting new and ingenious ways of fustrating me  >:(
they could well be from another life form as this happens to me also, and I hear up north it happens to even to Stan and he does not even have a hose
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

Sapphire Window Cleaning

« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2009, 11:26:54 pm »
I took Ian from window washers advice of tooking the connector of the hose under my belt and walk out with the hose, cleaning the furthest window first I find prevents a lot of snags.

Matt
Reaching parts traditional window cleaners can not reach.

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2009, 11:58:09 pm »
I took Ian from window washers advice of tooking the connector of the hose under my belt and walk out with the hose, cleaning the furthest window first I find prevents a lot of snags.

Matt

I find walking back, and then reeling it back in gives the most snags, not so much the walking it to the furthest point. :)

Sapphire Window Cleaning

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2009, 12:03:03 am »
if the connector is attached to a belt as you walk back the hose follows you back to the van, since following this advice I am to snag my hose.

Matt

Window Washers

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2009, 12:14:28 am »
if the connector is attached to a belt as you walk back the hose follows you back to the van, since following this advice I am to snag my hose.

Matt
Sry to say it will happen Matt, but this way does stop quite a lot of it  ;D
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

Sapphire Window Cleaning

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2009, 12:17:12 am »
I must be lucky then  ;D ;D ;D