Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

andyjm1

Clearing gutters from a ladder
« on: June 01, 2009, 11:15:44 pm »
Can anybody give me a bit of advice on clearing gutters using a ladder please?
Do you just put your hand in and grab it or is there a tool that can be used?
Also do you take a bag up the ladder with you to put the muck in? I thought of chucking it on the ground and then sweeping it up afterwards but thought it might make a bit of a mess.

Rob.Hall

Re: Clearing gutters from a ladder
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 11:36:05 pm »
Mess indeed...... and its highly likly you will splatter a window and then have to waist time cleaning up etc.

Simple way is : Get an extention pole. Attatch a dustpan brush to the end....make sure you have cut the bristles down preferably at an angle. Shorter at the toped and longer at the back. The brush should have an angled handle so you can get in tight angles.

Use the push method. Crud and leaves will form a barier when you rpush them along the gutter. When the rubbish is about to spill over the sides move ladder across and either use hands or a trowl to spoon crud into bucket or bag.

Very simple and effective way.

If gutters arnt that full you can cover 15ft without moving the ladded.

It needs to be pole which will extend. I use a light aloy paint pole. Very loght and durable.

If you want more expensive gear then you will be looking at a preshnre washer set up or guttervac.

I expect their will be loads more ideas given by the other more experienced guys.

Hope this helps.

Pittmonkey

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 11:39:48 pm »
I use a decorators pole with a scoop attached
http://www.wintecs.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=57_29_69&products_id=347

Pole was from B&Q about £14

I would recommend using a ladder stand off ( The V shaped type) makes the job a lot easier and safer. Position the ladder so you can access the gutter left and right of you. Using the pole ext minimises ladder moves and can also get to areas you are unable to get your ladder. Oh!! and take a bucket up with you, Dropping all over the floor wont go down well with the custy and saves you a lot of work sweeping up after.

Wayne
'Success is buried in the garden of failure'

Rob.Hall

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 11:51:44 pm »
Must be tiered as my reply had spelling mistakes galore and key letters in the wrong place....... Forgot the ledder off as PitMonkey says.

Rob.Hall

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 11:57:48 pm »
That looks a good tool. Will order one now before I get side tracked  ;D

Pittmonkey

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2009, 12:04:58 am »
'Success is buried in the garden of failure'

p1w1

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2009, 07:37:49 am »
while we are on the subject has anyone ever tried using any of these

http://www.betterware.co.uk/searchlist.aspx?txt=gutter&language=en-GB

paul

GWCS

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2009, 09:12:15 am »
while we are on the subject has anyone ever tried using any of these

http://www.betterware.co.uk/searchlist.aspx?txt=gutter&language=en-GB

paul

By bro bought the mains water pressure hose thingy, he said it was rubbish, because it also caused a huge mess, and he got soaked. He leaves it to me with the vacuum now :D 20 mins and done (shame i dont charge him)

Ian W

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2009, 05:47:21 pm »
I use drain cleaning rods with the swivelling semi-circular plate attached.

Push the rods along the gutter, then pull it back towards you, bringing the rubbish with it.
Do all the good you can, and make as little fuss about it as possible.
Charles Dickens

Robin Ray

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2009, 06:09:31 pm »
Gutter vac normally but if neccesary:-
Rubber gloves and a bucket + a ladder hook if I can reach, and a pressure washer blast from the side if you cant reach. If you cant use a pressure washer a  piece of 1x2 batten with a notch cut in it so you can hang it off the gutter is usefull.

airways

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2009, 02:57:44 pm »
What type and size of ladder is best to use for gutter clearing?

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2009, 03:03:24 pm »
What type and size of ladder is best to use for gutter clearing?

3-stage with a stand-off and rojak for extra safety.

airways

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2009, 03:30:53 pm »
Thanks Matt. The Rojak looks like a great bit of kit. What size ladder would you reccommend?

Window Washers

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2009, 04:36:41 pm »
Thanks Matt. The Rojak looks like a great bit of kit. What size ladder would you reccommend?
I have a 3.5m double for gutters any higher than that I do not do off a ladder
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

martinsadie

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2009, 05:33:05 pm »
i use my hand or a trowel and take a bucket up for the muck

Craig - CW Window Cleaning

« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2009, 09:52:55 pm »
For lightly blocked gutters I used my pole, took off the brush head attatched the rain gutter scoop adjusted the angle adapter put up the pole to gutter and then walk the length of the gutter pushing the crud as you go if its not too full and sludgy scoop out from the ground, then attatch hose pipe to end of pole and flush the rest through.

Window Washers

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2009, 09:57:22 pm »
For lightly blocked gutters I used my pole, took off the brush head attatched the rain gutter scoop adjusted the angle adapter put up the pole to gutter and then walk the length of the gutter pushing the crud as you go if its not too full and sludgy scoop out from the ground, then attatch hose pipe to end of pole and flush the rest through.

what happens when they are fixed gutters thay go direct in the ground ? do you ladder them or skip them ?
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

airways

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2009, 10:53:51 am »
What price would you charge for an adverage 3 bed semi with 2 lengths of gutter?

richyp

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2009, 03:20:10 pm »
we charge 39.00

martinsadie

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2009, 03:59:25 pm »
What price would you charge for an adverage 3 bed semi with 2 lengths of gutter?
£20