This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Alistair@AWC

Awkward Clean, Any Ideas???
« on: May 20, 2009, 04:23:47 pm »
Hi Guys,

I've been asked to clean a property quite similar to this

Now Ive seen that there is a 4ft gooseneck on the market, does anybody know if that would be enough to get around the walkway type things

Or does anybody have any better ideas?

Regards

Al

bluez

Re: Akward Clean, Any Ideas???
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 05:08:49 pm »
Whats the access like around the building, I would use an mewp
hi

MJH

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 05:22:24 pm »
Hi Guys,

Now Ive seen that there is a 4ft gooseneck on the market, does anybody know if that would be enough to get around the walkway type things

Regards

Al

Gooseneck? not a prayer mate, you would need powered access for that!!

RO-Sheen

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 05:49:09 pm »
Hi Guys,

Regards

Al

Or a jet pack!
Formerly known as GARGAAX

MJH

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 06:19:32 pm »
Hi Guys,

Regards

Al

Or a jet pack!

Stilts and extending arms might do the trick >:(

Alistair@AWC

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 06:28:34 pm »
Its supposed to be a maintenance walkway, so maybe we could harness up and do them by hand.

Its currently done by MEWP and was hoping by not needing them I could put together a keen price

MJH

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2009, 06:30:46 pm »
Its supposed to be a maintenance walkway, so maybe we could harness up and do them by hand.

Its currently done by MEWP and was hoping by not needing them I could put together a keen price

Well if you can walk on it, thats a possible solution if its for maintenance it should have anchor points or hook and eye bolts.

Alistair@AWC

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2009, 06:39:25 pm »
I'm going to have a look at it tomorrow so I'll find out if it really is a maintenance walkway.

Back to the gooseneck idea, if I got a gooseneck that was at least as long as the walkway surely that would work, wouldn't it??

MJH

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2009, 06:42:39 pm »
I'm going to have a look at it tomorrow so I'll find out if it really is a maintenance walkway.

Back to the gooseneck idea, if I got a gooseneck that was at least as long as the walkway surely that would work, wouldn't it??

Never heard of that idea, would be very awkward and you would need an extremely rigid pole, i would forget that.

Llaaww

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2009, 06:45:59 pm »
Hi Guys,

Regards

Al

Or a jet pack!

Stilts and extending arms might do the trick >:(

:D rocket boots :D
if it is dirty it is fair game

windowswashed

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2009, 07:54:19 pm »
Fit a 4ft extension gooseneck and try cleaning windows with it...... very awkward indeed and very easy for gooseneck to flip over and smack the glass if you're not very careful. Not worth the hassle.

Alistair@AWC

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2009, 08:13:10 pm »
Fit a 4ft extension gooseneck and try cleaning windows with it...... very awkward indeed and very easy for gooseneck to flip over and smack the glass if you're not very careful. Not worth the hassle.

Windowswashed, I take it your speaking from experience then  ;D

Are they really that difficult to work with??

windowswashed

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2009, 08:20:14 pm »

Windowswashed, I take it your speaking from experience then  ;D

Are they really that difficult to work with??

Yes, but don't take my word for it, try for yourself, just be very careful.

It's a real strain on the wrists trying to keep the brush flat against the glass with such a long neck fitted  if sweeping sideways across the glass. It's okay scrubbing up & down the glass, just difficult sweeping across large panes...better to make small, slow horizontal movements and let the water cascade down instead.

Glyn H

Re: Awkward Clean, Any Ideas???
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2009, 11:25:39 pm »
This is a 2' 45 degree gooseneck extension in action

We  used 4' 45 degree to clean the roof here

Glyn H

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2009, 11:30:57 pm »
The second pole (blue one ) in this photo we are using 4' goosneck. If you wanted to clean verticle windows the main 1' gooseneck would be a straight one not an angled one.
Everybody like the WFP Thames work boat with 1000 litre IBC and pumping system?  :)

Alistair@AWC

« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2009, 11:33:38 pm »
Glyn,

So do you think its do-able then, and does using a very large brush head help with the stability?

Glyn H

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2009, 11:41:01 pm »
Certainly looks do-able apart from the very bottom of the glass by the walkway but I dont think you will need one,we would work off the walkways - if thats what they are.
You will  need to do a method statement and risk assesment and may need a certificate from the premises manager to say that the walkway has been tested to work from. Obviously PPE will be needed.

Alistair@AWC

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2009, 11:54:33 pm »
Thanks Glyn,

The glass doesn't appear to go all the way to the bottom, so I think it would be OK.

Method Statements & Risk Assessments are not a problem, and I am going to ask about anchor points and weight ratings of the walkway.

The reason I really want to WFP it is I would be OK sending out 1 guy to do the job, but using harnesses and ladder access turns it into a 2 man job.

Do you sell these goosenecks in your photos and can I adapt them to fit a SL2?

Al

Glyn H

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2009, 12:14:38 am »
Hi Al
I am not sure if they can be made to fit an SL2, due to the steped clamping system we use
Alex would probably know as he has used our poles.

Personaly I would use a team on a job that size - but its your job so who am I to comment.

Alistair@AWC

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2009, 12:21:58 am »
Cheers Glyn,

I'll have a chat with Alex

Regards

Al