Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

big J

hot versus cold pure water
« on: May 17, 2009, 05:51:56 pm »
what are the advantages/disadvantages of a hot WFP system other than cost? I have read conflicting reports off the net. Does anyone on here use or intend to use it and why

cheers

big j
modern day methods ......tradtional values

Window Washers

Re: hot versus cold pure water
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 06:11:40 pm »
what are the advantages/disadvantages of a hot WFP system other than cost? I have read conflicting reports off the net. Does anyone on here use or intend to use it and why

cheers

big j
my biggest worry is in the winter when very cold, windows being cracked broke from termal chock, it happens as I did this to my own window ::)

Give that to an employee and there the risk goes higher, still debating on this and would love to read some answers from people that employ others that use hot (when I say employ, I mean they work away from you in seperate van with hot)

If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

edd

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 06:17:41 pm »
hot all the way every time no matter what the weather in winter just turn it down to say 15 degs and trust me that makes a difference it still feels warm in winter and best of all keeps the hose soft and much easier to reel in. I will never use cold ever after its cold enough in winter and I could not bear a cold hose lol that all stiff and a .... to reel in
          ........................ ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D..........................

big J

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 06:24:44 pm »
I have heard that hot pure windows can attack aluminum extrusion or older painted frames have you come across this V8edd? :-\
modern day methods ......tradtional values

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 06:38:18 pm »
This crops up when people quote from an old b====x site.The idea is that co2 makes the water acidic. At the moment on the news there is a lot about ocean acidification, and over and over scientists repeat- cold water absorbs and holds carbon dioxide better than hot water- (co2 in solution is carbonic acid)

This is of course worrying for the planet, but it means the 'science' used by these supplier 'experts' to attack hot water is in fact hot air.

tomy jackson

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2009, 06:48:37 pm »
look at brodx thay put a lot of rubish out on hot when thay dident have hot now thayth got hot its sliced bread int . i woodent go back to cold

edd

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2009, 09:56:12 pm »
all I know is that for nearly 4 years we have had no probs except
for a few broken windows which the water was not regulated by a heat controller and was too hot opps!!

NWH

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2009, 10:01:07 pm »
Ed how long do you get out of that 140ah battery with the heater and pump.

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2009, 10:16:56 pm »
for a few broken windows which the water was not regulated by a heat controller and was too hot opps!!

What is the difference that you use as a guideline between outside temp and temp at the brush head? 15 to 20c?

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2009, 10:17:23 pm »
So are you still suggesting 20 degrees water ?

NWH

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2009, 10:22:01 pm »
In the depths of last winter i used mine at 60+degrees with no breaking of any glass,i was told it would crack glass at that temp but i had no problems.Unless the glass is very thin and brittle you shouldn`t get any cracking,i havn`t yet.

edd

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2009, 10:23:44 pm »
how long do i get well all day every day so far lol but i have got a split charge
and i charge up every night well most nights any way no probs so far i was going to buy a yellow top optima but it was too much but the deep cycle one is the same but bigger and cheaper

Window Washers

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2009, 10:28:39 pm »
I am guessing you guys that use it know very little about glass and why it breaks and put it down to luck, please correct me I am not trying to insult anyone.

The main cause of glass breaking is becuase it was not fitted correctly something you cannot see from the floor. If fitted wrong and expansion happens 9/10 it will crack, hot water adds to this problem, thermo shock is another I would love to hear any supplier be honest about this instead of just selling to people that do not know and use trial and error as this could be very expensive.

So what I ask is any tech minded people on this subject reply with facts. And help all us non hot wfp make the correct choice.

I am not against hot in anyway, but reading some things put on here are truly shocking to say the least, and there is no way I would put my company rep on the line on hearsay and it should be ok kind of thing.
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2009, 10:37:23 pm »
I agree with Ian, a few broken windows is completely unacceptable to me.

The Seven Bays Window Cleaning Company

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2009, 07:33:42 am »
I tryed it. :)

I found it certainly easier to work with, and it did shift stubborn marks, i'e bird poo, snail trails ect , with ease. I also like the way the brushes moved on the glass with some heat in them

For me though, I found the running costs a tad too high to keep using it for a predominately domestic round.

I think cold water doe's an excellent job, and leaves the same result as hot - but hot is makes the job more user freindly.

Would I go back to hot?  Only if I was taking on extremely dirty commercial contracts and the running costs where a lot less.  :-\
THE SEVEN BAYS WINDOW CLEANING COMPANY

ftp

« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2009, 08:03:49 am »
How can you guys spend £3000 on a hot system and thousands more on an Ionics system then tell us "it's paid for itself in the first day etc" then quibble over the price of a yellow top battery?

Makes me laugh  ;D ;D ;D ;D ::)

How can 15 degrees be classed as a 'hot' system? I could pee warmer than that!
You guys are nuts!

Rob_Mac

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2009, 10:24:38 am »
Ian

I am with you on this one, if there is no room for expansion due to the glass being too tightly fitted, when it expands, through heat (hot water) then it will put extra pressure on the glass and with nowhere to go it will crack.

Unfortunately when you clean windows you cannot know the history of every single window and the quality of the fitting. One window cracking on one property would be too many for me. I am building a second residential window cleaning business and it is coming through on recommendation alone.

I wouldn't even contemplate saying it wasn't my system, if I broke or cracked a piece of glass, I would just replace it!

Apart from a short period last year, after I sold the big round I have been cleaning windows or large commercial glass canopies/windows for over 9 years, I have never needed a hot system, I may need to scrub a little harder on baked on bits but I get few complaints, if any and have a lot of new cleans, window cleaning and conservatory roofs/full upvc cleans.

Is it necessary to improve my business, will it make it anymore money, do I need it, I don't think so.

Are there questions arising from user capability and knowledge on its potential problems, can thermal shock happen whilst using it, probably

I think that you have put a valid argument forward and my opinion is that it is an over rated gadget, over priced and not necessary for 99.9% of window cleaning businesses.

Rob ;D

Rob.Hall

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2009, 10:46:07 am »
Its an expensive way of keeping ones hands warm in the winter.  ;D

edd

Re: hot versus cold pure water New
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2009, 01:45:55 pm »
expensive maybe maybe not We use heating oil now which is 1/4 price of diesel so this helps, then its on from 8 till 12
4 hours a day 4 litres oil  £ 1.20 a day so not really expensive I suppose is it. the broken windows were down to not been
fitted correctly the packing spacers were too tight. today's temp was 42 degs which is just right and we haven't broken
any windows for years now touch wood

Rob_Mac

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2009, 02:57:19 pm »
V8edd

How much was the system and is there a fitting price on top of that?

Rob ;D