Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

marc

battery normal or lesiure that is the question
« on: May 16, 2009, 07:47:24 pm »
now i have used lesiure batteries for the last few years but have seen that a few guys are now using normal car batteries so my question is do i pay £60 to£70 odd for a lesiure with two year warranty or £40 for a car one with a 3 year warranty so what do ya think then guys

Window Washers

Re: battery normal or lesiure that is the question
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 07:49:08 pm »
now i have used lesiure batteries for the last few years but have seen that a few guys are now using normal car batteries so my question is do i pay £60 to£70 odd for a lesiure with two year warranty or £40 for a car one with a 3 year warranty so what do ya think then guys
I have killed 2 car batteries in the last year so going back to leisure battery 110ah ::)
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

edd

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 07:53:12 pm »
Iv killed more then that leisure are not up to powering the heater so now I use  a deep cycle battery big one for
powering cherry pickers well its the same physical size but 130 amp  hour and all is good now amen!!

marc

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2009, 08:10:26 pm »
but my point being ian is if the car battery packs up in 6 months i should be able to change it at halfords as it would have a 3 year warranty marc

geefree

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2009, 09:30:06 pm »
if you going for that option...(car).... you may as well link it with the van battery, save even more money.

Sapphire Window Cleaning

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2009, 09:31:20 pm »
I use a heavy duty van battery for my system, it works fine, I charge it up every night.

Matt
Reaching parts traditional window cleaners can not reach.

Window Washers

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2009, 09:38:32 pm »
but my point being ian is if the car battery packs up in 6 months i should be able to change it at halfords as it would have a 3 year warranty marc
if you lie I guess yes you could, a car battery is meant for a car, you may get away with it a couple of times though ;)
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

NWH

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2009, 09:40:23 pm »
Ed it sounds as if you had the same trouble as me with the heater not having enough power from the battery,i have had to piggy back 2 leisure batteys together so it`s got enough power but i think i`ll go down the 140amp route if you say it works.With the 2 together it`s fine but after about a week or less they need charging again not for the system but for the heater.

Robin Ray

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2009, 09:42:53 pm »
I wondered the same a while back so did some reaserch. Deep cycle batterys are best suited to water fed pole work. However running the battery down past about 25% is what kills any lead acid battey. I now run a 110Ah and keep it well charged, It costs more money initialy however saves it in the long run.

Rob

Window Washers

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2009, 10:03:53 pm »
Ed it sounds as if you had the same trouble as me with the heater not having enough power from the battery,i have had to piggy back 2 leisure batteys together so it`s got enough power but i think i`ll go down the 140amp route if you say it works.With the 2 together it`s fine but after about a week or less they need charging again not for the system but for the heater.
what heater you guys using that is draining batteries?

NWH

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2009, 10:14:52 pm »
I have the heatwave heater which uses a Webasto heater which will NOT work with well with 1 battery,i have had to piggy back another battery which is not ideal but it`s the only way it will stop it running down to to about 10.5-11volts even with a split charger.

mlscontractcleaner

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2009, 10:54:59 pm »
I use a heavy duty battery; the type used to power my Transit van and have no problems. I've had the same battery for about two years now and simply charge it each evening.
Come and talk dirty to us!!!

Window Washers

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2009, 12:31:09 am »
I use a heavy duty battery; the type used to power my Transit van and have no problems. I've had the same battery for about two years now and simply charge it each evening.
this is not aimed at you at all I thought I better add that first.

But people saying they use this battery and this battery really does not mean to much, you could use a 50ah battery and it be fine if you work on your own and only clean for a couple of hours, now add 2 people working 8/5 the same battery would give up.

I personally have used car batteries for 8 hours a day 2 people and they dont last and in a short time they stop holding charge, only battery that I have used to date that is man enough is a 110ah that I got with a system I bought second hand then sold.... it weighs a ton but is hassle saving.

what hours to do you guys work and with what battery ? is there just one maybe 2 or three using it. how do you charge. these answers will help others get the real story.

Ian
p.s I do not use hot on demand ( my water seems warm anyway somethis to do with the weather I guess :D )

LWC

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2009, 08:28:42 am »
Get a car battery and run a simple split realy o it and never worry about it again. I have had the same battery in the back of  my van on a split relay or around 2 years.

Ian what on earth are you doing to them batteries? Spinning them right round?

tompoole

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2009, 10:42:45 am »
hi
I have wired the pump to the landrover battery which is an optima yellow top, theyre quite pricey but well upto the job. You can buy them from www.paddockspares.co.uk 

NWH

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2009, 11:16:11 am »
You get more trouble when you use a heater using a battery to just power 1-2 pumps won`t draw anywhere near as many amps as a heater,if you have a volt meter on your system you`ll see what i mean when you power up the heater the charge dosen`t last even with a split relay fitted.

ftp

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2009, 12:14:11 pm »
My first two leisure batteries never got past the guarantee dates but when returned the shop says there is nothing wrong with them! They take the charge alright but won't run my pump for a full day. I have now gone from 80ah leisure to a 110ah car battery and will wait and see.

john tomkins

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2009, 12:40:28 pm »
My first two leisure batteries never got past the guarantee dates but when returned the shop says there is nothing wrong with them! They take the charge alright but won't run my pump for a full day. I have now gone from 80ah leisure to a 110ah car battery and will wait and see.

You wanna take it easier and work less hours and it will last you all day then, oh yes, drink more tea and chat lots too.

edd

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2009, 01:38:06 pm »
NHW yeah the webasto kills the battery's for sure but /I have only one deep cycle on and its going ok
I do charge with an intelligent charger every night if you want some pics I will do some ?? also have
a split charger but the leisure battery's just ain't up to the job!!

Tom Mac

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2009, 04:48:32 pm »
Both of the batteries are made to carry out different duties. The car battery is primarily designed to give and receive a charge at the same time. If you charge it over night and then use it durinf the day on a discharge cycle only, it will eventually refuse to take a charge. The leisure battery ia designed to give power even when not connected to a charger. It is designed to run completely flat if needed and then be recharged. They are more money to buy but is saying that they are a lot better. I use a 110ah battery and it pumps approx 400ltr per day and i only have to charge it once a week overnight.