Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

macmac

Wagtail Flipper
« on: May 15, 2009, 03:56:41 pm »
Just ordered one as I've seen one (feen's) today for the first time & had a go. It looks like it could be a very, very usefull tool both on-pole & off.

Anyhow, I know quite a few on here have got them recently & just wondered how you were all getting on with them? ;)

R W C

Re: Wagtail Flipper
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 04:15:23 pm »
Thought they looked cheap, good for pole work and awkward high windows, dont hold much water and the applicator wears very quickly,but useful tool to have in van.

Chris

ftp

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 04:17:18 pm »
I've got one, thought it was brilliant for five minutes but never use it now.  ::)

macmac

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 04:22:43 pm »
I have a few specific jobs in mind for it where it's far easier just using one hand- as the other is clinging on for dear life :o

ftp

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2009, 04:30:58 pm »
It's good on large panes without deep returns. Flipping the dangly cloth up over the blade is a flippin pain at times. When you finish your stroke you'll pick up all the flippin dirt and dust from the bottom or even the side of the frame. You can't flippin detail very well from the end of a pole and the flippin cloth is very thin. The only point of contact for the flippin cloth is where the blade presses it against the glass - flippin small contact area.
Flippin good on insides though where little solution is required.
Give us a flippin good review when you get it.  ;)

R W C

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009, 05:03:48 pm »
It's good on large panes without deep returns. Flipping the dangly cloth up over the blade is a flippin pain at times. When you finish your stroke you'll pick up all the flippin dirt and dust from the bottom or even the side of the frame. You can't flippin detail very well from the end of a pole and the flippin cloth is very thin. The only point of contact for the flippin cloth is where the blade presses it against the glass - flippin small contact area.
Flippin good on insides though where little solution is required.
Give us a flippin good review when you get it.  ;)

That was flippin funny ftp,

macmac

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2009, 06:53:03 pm »
Think I'll cancel the flippin' thing! ;)

Chris Cottrell

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2009, 08:11:44 pm »
No dont cancel it, atleast try it, we use 1 every week on the shop work it saves a lot of carrying around a pair of steps I think there an excelent tool

Ian_Giles

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2009, 08:32:14 pm »
The wagtail is a really good piece of equipment, and for me it is the squeegee and applicator of choice.

Looks cheap, is certainly expensive for what it is, but it is a bloody god tool once you get the hang of using it.
The cloth applicator part is certainly thin and doesn't hold a lot of water, but you would be really surprised just how far it will go, and it is just so light to use.

You have to work at the technique though, and it is fantastic on insides. Though I have found that I need to do a little more detailing than I would otherwise do so with a separate applicator and squeegee.

As I am mostly WFP I don't use it above ground floor, but do use it on plenty of shop fronts where WFP isn't the best choice.
Had mine a few months now and the washer part is also still going strong, cheap enough to replace anyway.

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

cybersye

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2009, 08:30:44 am »
I bought one after reading recommendations here,
hmmmmm  :-\ :-\, I just could not get on with the applicator, maybe with a bit more practise I would but its a cheap and flimsy piece of material with no scrubbing power and does'nt hold any where near enough water. I ditched it after a day and just use the squegee on its own on a pole for tall shop windows, works well for me but so would any squegee with a swivel handle. 5 out of 10

Tosh

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2009, 10:25:58 am »
I just could not get on with the applicator, maybe with a bit more practise

For high shop windows, it's great.  Easier than using steps or A Frames.

I've got some high single pane windows on my house, and I spent about an hour practising on these; and now I have no problems with the flipper.

macmac

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2009, 10:45:22 am »
I ordered the flipper on purpose to try it but I'm half expecting to just use it as a squeegee. We'll see, not expecting to use it as my main tool, just as & when required. One job in mind is the inside of a hotel. big windows I normally have to take a ladder inside for. glass panes are approx 8ft x 4ft.

It's good to try new/different tools though, as I've said before, some seem so focused on wfp that trad of any kind just gets dismissed. If you put the same focus into trad it's very supprising how good & quick this method can be! ;)
Having said that, I suppose some will just be crap at it, full stop. :D

SherwoodCleaningSe

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2009, 05:32:48 pm »
Better than a normal blade and mop? No chance.  But on a pole for hard access windows it's great.  I have a job, converted barn with a vaulted roof and windows following the roof up on the gable ends, the windows are a foot high so a real hard job to do off a ladder, several stands and takes ages(confused  ???), with the flipper on the pole it's flipping fast and good.

For a lot of inside work I still use a normal blade, can't beat it for speed, the wagtail is just too heavy by comparison.  When I wfp though I always carry the flipper/wagtail in a boab for the odd doorway, it's then lighter than a mop and blade and therefor less hindrance.

Simon.

ftp

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2009, 06:42:38 pm »
I'll eat my words!
I found a flippin good use for it today. I used it to clean the underside of a conservatory roof. It was filthy too but the dangly flippy bit caught most of the drips when blading off, no step ladders needed either just a small extension pole. Whipped the applicator off to clean it when I got home and then spent quarter of an hour trying to get it back on  ;D

macmac

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2009, 07:53:31 pm »
Well I don't think it will replace my porcupine & squeegee but I'm sure it will be a handy tool to have (as it came today). Can't help thinking that this tool has been produced in a rush, it just looks like an un-finnished project, as if it's been released too early. the bit of mop is almost laughable, it's not even cut straight, mine looks like a child has cut it out of some old woman's skirt! ;D The swivel handle IS something that is impressive though & other manufacturers should take a closer look at this. Ergonomic? I think this term is way over used in many applications- the wagtail handle is a straight piece of plastic tube! ??? not that it bothers me. Anyhow, we'll wait & see how it turns out in the coming weeks.

What I am really impressed with though is the ettore ledge-eze squeegee with s/steel channel. Man, this is one light & very easy to use tool, almost perfect for normal use. My squeegee of choice from now!

ftp

« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2009, 08:11:38 pm »
I bought a ten inch unger applicator the other day with the microfibre sleeve. I like it but because the microfibre is so absorbant it makes it rather heavy. Doesn't drip much though.

4Seasons

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2009, 09:29:44 pm »
Personally I think it's fantastic. It saves loads of time and is a delight to use. It's definitely best to fill your bucket on a belt with your solution then you don't need to carry a bucket round too much - plus it solves the problem of the applicator part not holding much water.
I am mostly wfp now, I don't think it would cut it for all day trad cleaning - but for the occasional use it cannot be beaten.

macmac

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2009, 10:16:50 am »
I bought a ten inch unger applicator the other day with the microfibre sleeve. I like it but because the microfibre is so absorbant it makes it rather heavy. Doesn't drip much though.

Yeah, I got ettore microfibre & that's quite heavy too.

Try an ettore porcupine, this is my favourite, very light, accurate & doesn't flood the place! It also scrubs the best too, as it should being a porcupine. Trouble is. they only do 'em 14" & up.

Chris Cottrell

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2009, 10:23:34 am »
Trouble is. they only do 'em 14" & up.

I cut 1 down from 14" to 10" just take a pair of scissors to it and sew the end up again

macmac

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2009, 10:33:53 am »
Trouble is. they only do 'em 14" & up.

I cut 1 down from 14" to 10" just take a pair of scissors to it and sew the end up again

Good idea. ;)