This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

firefly123

wfp v squeegee again
« on: April 26, 2009, 09:35:58 pm »
somedays wfp is the best earns good lookspro and safer but some days have to say trad is quicker dont forget the more you spend on wfp you make firms rich dont need sarcastic remarks been going years now wfp is good under health and safety true but still some people dont care about that anyone else have views on this
shiney one

Llaaww

Re: wfp v squeegee again
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 10:22:44 pm »
trad for 18yrs wfp for 2yrs. wfp is the way forward, but i still cart around a ladder everywhere i go. some habbits die hard :)
if it is dirty it is fair game

mlscontractcleaner

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 10:23:09 pm »
There's been so many posts on this very topic; just look through all the old ones. My opinion is, and it is just my opinion,that WFP is better than traditional, full stop.

Someone will no doubt disagree, and that's their right, but to my mind it's safer, quicker, does at least a good a job as traditional, probably better when done properly, allows greater access to akward/high windows, allows my business to secure work I'd not have been in a position to go for before I invested in it, looks more professional, the list goes on and on.

Downsides?

initial outlay, hoses catching on everything, having to fill the tank/ charge the battery over night ( though in all honesty it takes only five minutes to sort out each night ), higher running costs ( Much more than off set by the higher earning available ), and not a lot else.

If anyone tells you they can earn as much with a mop and squeegie as a WFP operater they're very mistaken; it's as simple as that.

If you've not done it yet invest in a WFP set up, using genuine poles, etc and you wont look back, I promise  ;D
Come and talk dirty to us!!!

simon knight

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 07:14:51 am »

If anyone tells you they can earn as much with a mop and squeegie as a WFP operater they're very mistaken; it's as simple as that.

Depends on where you live. Come and try a day in Putney with yer hose and I'll guarantee you'd be lucky to earn a penny....all ladders here mate.

Tosh

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 08:01:17 am »

Depends on where you live. Come and try a day in Putney with yer hose and I'll guarantee you'd be lucky to earn a penny....all ladders here mate.

It's all WFP round here!  However, that would be a brilliant place to be the first with a WFP.  You'd just have to target all those large buildings that ladder users either avoid or charge a fortune because the job is so time consuming.

Anything leaded, georgian, high and awkward is great for WFP; you could possibly reduce the time taken by at least three-quarters, if not more; charge less and still make a whopping big profit.

Londoner

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 08:07:58 am »
He means the parking is a problem Tosh. You can't park near enough to run a hose. In some parts of London there is no parking at all, not anywhere.

Sometimes I wonder about a handcart? sort of half way between a trolley and a trailer.

Tosh

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 08:12:17 am »
Thanks for explaining that to me, Vince.

I'm a Geordie.

Is parking severe there even early in the morning?  I start one account between 5 and 6 am, purely because the parking is naff; it's a commercial account.

simon knight

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2009, 08:13:24 am »
The reason it's all ladders around here isn't because we're Amish Boys it's because w/cs are lucky to be able to park in the same road as the house let alone right outside of it.

You'd need to see Putney to understand why wfp isn't an option. Put it this way I've lived here for 22 years and not once ever seen wfp being used.

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2009, 08:13:59 am »
There's been so many posts on this very topic; just look through all the old ones. My opinion is, and it is just my opinion,that WFP is better than traditional, full stop.

Someone will no doubt disagree, and that's their right, but to my mind it's safer, quicker, does at least a good a job as traditional, probably better when done properly, allows greater access to akward/high windows, allows my business to secure work I'd not have been in a position to go for before I invested in it, looks more professional, the list goes on and on.

Downsides?

initial outlay, hoses catching on everything, having to fill the tank/ charge the battery over night ( though in all honesty it takes only five minutes to sort out each night ), higher running costs ( Much more than off set by the higher earning available ), and not a lot else.

If you've not done it yet invest in a WFP set up, using genuine poles, etc and you wont look back, I promise  ;D

I agree with what you've written except for the bit I've made bold.  I've found that the extra running costs of WFP are less than the extra I earn - and I've done the sums too.  This might vary though because it depends on a number of things such as:- the type of work someone had before switching to WFP and the work they have obtained since the switch, how fast they were with a squeegee in the first place, and how much investment they've made with WFP equipment.
My own turnover is not far short of double the amount I was turning over on a ladder.  It's taken a while to get there and I do admit that I was probably only about average speed with a squeegee.  Also, the type of work I've taken on with WFP has changed too as I gradually dropped the more WFP unfriendly jobs.

simon knight

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2009, 08:16:39 am »
Thanks for explaining that to me, Vince.

I'm a Geordie.

Is parking severe there even early in the morning?  I start one account between 5 and 6 am, purely because the parking is naff; it's a commercial account.

The parking in the early morning is even worse because everybody parks in the street as there's no off-street parking...it's absolutely chocka :(

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2009, 08:17:01 am »
He means the parking is a problem Tosh. You can't park near enough to run a hose. In some parts of London there is no parking at all, not anywhere.

Sometimes I wonder about a handcart? sort of half way between a trolley and a trailer.

I'm wondering if Omnipole's 125 litre trolley would be useful for such an area (I think Putney is pretty flat for the most part).

Tosh

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2009, 08:18:44 am »
You'd need to see Putney to understand why wfp isn't an option. Put it this way I've lived here for 22 years and not once ever seen wfp being used.

I quite understand; although I don't travel far from home these days (I'm like a boring old scabby Tom Cat with a bad smell), I was recently in Luton; and the roads there were like one big car park.

Personally, there must be some rural places within an hours drive of you; perfect for WFP?  I'd target them.

bad trippy

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2009, 08:41:36 am »
Iam not knocking WFP in any way shape or form, infact i will be investing in a system myself at some point this year, but intend to use it only on awkward to get to windows and for 2nd floor windows ie town houses/flats ect. Now ive been canvassing the last two months and have taken note of what a lot of ppl have said, and i mean a lot of ppl, they first of all ask what technique i use, most breath a sigh of relief when i say im trad. A lot of ppl have had bad experiences with the results of WFP and i would imagine that a few havnt been very well educated by their windy too. Horses for coarses used properly Wfp can produce results as good as trad. Some ppl have remarked on a bad result in windy conditions with wfp due to the wind blowing airbourne debris on the wet glass. Some have also remarked on the water all over their walls and property. Quite a few have taken me on and got rid of their wfp guy even though in a lot of cases im more expensive [undercutting is evil] To sum up for me personally i would say wfp and trad both have their places and both have their advantages and dis advantages.
www.clearviewbristol.co.uk
Add me on Facebook clear view window cleaning

Tosh

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2009, 08:49:38 am »
personally i would say wfp and trad both have their places and both have their advantages and dis advantages.

Exactly, but there's more advantages with WFP.

simon knight

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2009, 08:49:55 am »
Hi Vince and Leapstallbuildings, I've thought about handcarts and backpacks but the problem would still be the dire lack of parking...here, even if you can find a meter it's mainly 2hr max parking allowed and the traffic wardens are legion and hand out £60 tickets for 10 seconds over your alloted time.

The good thing about round here is the work is very very concentrated and 90% of my customers are within a half mile radius so I tend to walk everywhere.

kris martin

« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2009, 08:51:33 am »
Iam not knocking WFP in any way shape or form, infact i will be investing in a system myself at some point this year, but intend to use it only on awkward to get to windows and for 2nd floor windows ie town houses/flats ect. Now ive been canvassing the last two months and have taken note of what a lot of ppl have said, and i mean a lot of ppl, they first of all ask what technique i use, most breath a sigh of relief when i say im trad. A lot of ppl have had bad experiences with the results of WFP and i would imagine that a few havnt been very well educated by their windy too. Horses for coarses used properly Wfp can produce results as good as trad. Some ppl have remarked on a bad result in windy conditions with wfp due to the wind blowing airbourne debris on the wet glass. Some have also remarked on the water all over their walls and property. Quite a few have taken me on and got rid of their wfp guy even though in a lot of cases im more expensive [undercutting is evil] To sum up for me personally i would say wfp and trad both have their places and both have their advantages and dis advantages.
personally i would say wfp and trad both have their places and both have their advantages and dis advantages.

Exactly, but there's more advantages with WFP.
and the main one is safety and this is the only one that really matters to me.

macmac

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2009, 09:37:42 am »
Both tools to do the same job, I have both & use/need both. WFP IS way over-hyped though & has many more downsides than most "club members" would dare to admit to.Still, when used correctly & in the right circumstances it is a great tool, a lot depends on the type of work you have. Try it on an old georgian mansion with paper-thin glass, most of which have cracks in, the paint is oxidised & most of them leak!!!  Most "club members" would run a mile where as I would charge a heafty premium (way more than wfp) & trad it!! ;)

dai

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2009, 09:43:38 am »
Hi Vince and Leapstallbuildings, I've thought about handcarts and backpacks but the problem would still be the dire lack of parking...here, even if you can find a meter it's mainly 2hr max parking allowed and the traffic wardens are legion and hand out £60 tickets for 10 seconds over your alloted time.

The good thing about round here is the work is very very concentrated and 90% of my customers are within a half mile radius so I tend to walk everywhere.

Do they still have those electric milk floats that you walk in front of? One of those with a tank on would be ideal.
I'm sure that one of the large mobility scooters could be converted, just needs a tiller to steer it and work the speed control.
I know you would need a trailor and ramp, but you still have to park somewhere even if your trad.

dai

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2009, 09:49:55 am »
WFP has made me lazy, I use it when I shouldn't at times, doors being one example. I just can't be bothered carrying the trad gear, and I know that I would be quicker just ragging some small door panels, a clean damp scrim can save a hell of a lot of time without the mess.

simon knight

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2009, 10:21:28 am »

Do they still have those electric milk floats that you walk in front of? One of those with a tank on would be ideal.
I'm sure that one of the large mobility scooters could be converted, just needs a tiller to steer it and work the speed control.
I know you would need a trailor and ramp, but you still have to park somewhere even if your trad.

Not a bad idea except I don't have anywhere at home to park it overnight...oh well I'll just have to make do with ladders...woe is me :(

Not that I'd be working today anyway...it's absolutely pishing down here ;D