Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

lee_dewing

insect bites
« on: April 23, 2009, 11:02:22 pm »
hi
anyone reccomend anything to stop the bugs biting?

I'm sure i read somewhere once if you take vitamin b? long enough it sercrets a tiny sent in your blood that the midge's don't like.

i've been bitten to bits the last few days, dont fancy creams, must take ages slapping on but any sprays.
help :'(
thanks lee
Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work.     - Aristotle

Jeff Brimble

Re: insect bites
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 06:23:07 am »
I get bitten and have major reactions, especially by the uk mozzies/gnats , I have a boots kit to suck the poison out and use some Herby Bog Myrtle spray from Scotland- Elmbronze ltd , will try to find a web site for you. heard of a lady from scotland that drinks soda/tonic  water with quinine in it- 1 litre a day, builds up in your body.
Every sympathy mate, try a machine gun  ;D

lee_dewing

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 07:39:13 am »
thanks jeff.

maybe you could invent something, maybe one of them plugin mozzie repellers on a utility belt ;D

thanks for the tips.
i think i remember my mum  getting a pump body spray, that wasn't intended to but acted as a repellent she use on holiday a few years ago; smells so bad ;D

made by avon, think it just had a lemon fragrance, nothing over powering she said it was good,
didn't stop all the midge bites but drastically cut down.

thanks lee

chosker

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 04:01:59 pm »
apparently garlic is not very tasty in the blood and will scare away most blood sucking creatures (not just the vampires) you will still get the odd 'test' bite but they wont bite over an over.

Tobacco stops leaches from biting (well, helps)... you could try rubbing yourself in tobacco and sticking it in all your pockets! Of course, that may not help, lol!

mark dew

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 04:19:11 pm »
It's a pest but just put up with it. Fresh meat and all that.
Within a couple of weeks we won't be as appealing to the insect eye. There will be plenty of fresher about than us.
We are just appealing cos they have just started to appear and we are 1st point of contact.
It will soon be over.

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 05:19:50 pm »
Its the female that causes the problems ! Sonic repellants only work on males, the season is from now until end of Oct. They come seeking you from the CO2 you give off.

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2009, 05:25:10 am »

lee_dewing

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2009, 09:03:07 am »
thanks all.

cheers for web address jeff.
lee.

JSMC

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2009, 09:44:30 am »
avon skin so soft ideal for midges. fishermen and walkers use this stuff

RO-Sheen

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2009, 05:12:58 pm »
I had that problem last year, My legs really swelled up from bites. I got a spray can from boots and it worked great. Just quickly spray your legs and off you go. It was a yellow can and I think it had a picture of a mosquito on it.
Formerly known as GARGAAX

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2009, 05:51:31 pm »
My visitors go to extreme lengths, they climb up and under the duvet to get me just below my knees or on the small of my back when I am asleep. No chance of sleeping with the window open  :'(  I am a Mozzy magnet. I learnt to recognise the wing buzz of the blighters and can recognise them in flight and in the dark , aha but now I am going deaf.  :'(

Window Washers

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2009, 06:25:34 pm »
Eat garlic they hate it ;)
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

lee_dewing

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2009, 09:43:05 am »
thanks jsmc re-avon

tanks all,
bought some ouderless garlic tablets.

hope they work as there ouderless, my thinkinking is once in blood stream emits a smell there,
as said, i'l probably get test bite's,
sympathy's jeff as i often wake up with new bites usually lower legs and feet :'(

thanks lee

martinsadie

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2009, 09:45:50 am »
Eat garlic they hate it ;)
customers wont enjoy talking to you either  ;D ;D

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2009, 10:31:32 am »
thanks jsmc re-avon

tanks all,
bought some ouderless garlic tablets.

hope they work as there ouderless, my thinkinking is once in blood stream emits a smell there,
as said, i'l probably get test bite's,
sympathy's jeff as i often wake up with new bites usually lower legs and feet :'(

thanks lee
theres is expensive garlic tabs and cheap ones, expensive are best, they have the best part of the garlic in . Ok you do the garlic I will do the tonic water for a month. 8)

4Seasons

« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2009, 10:41:03 am »
avon skin so soft ideal for midges. fishermen and walkers use this stuff

Which particular Avon skin so soft product do you mean?
Is it 'Sensual Dual Softening Body Oil' or 'Skin So Soft Soft & Fresh Dry Oil Body Spray' or one of the many others?
I've heard it said it's so good the SAS use it! But which one?

williamx

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2009, 01:37:27 pm »
Use Tea Tree Essential Oil

lee_dewing

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2009, 09:37:06 pm »
ok jeff will start tomorrow with tablets i'l let u know ;)

4 seasons i'm not sure regarding avon, but all i remember when my parents used it a few years ago going to india, it was in one of those pump spray bottles if that's any help.
will look at their website later.
bye for now.
lee

lee_dewing

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2009, 10:34:55 pm »
4 seasons it's the last one you mentioned.
found this quote on ebay,

This spray also contains citronella, which is basically a lemon scented oil used in insect repellents.  Insects hate citronella, so by using this dry oil spray on your body, you are in effect, repelling those midges!! This product is not named as insect repellent but DOES THE JOB!!!!!!

don't buy from here cheaper at avonshop.co.uk typed so soft in search box threw all so soft products up.

out of intrest typed in insect repel in search box went straight to the right one.

will try garlic tablets as said to jeff alone, but if i'm still getting munched to bits, 2 weeks in; then will be onto avon :'(
sorry jeff
i'm a fraidy cat ;D

john tomkins